Author Topic: FS: Swingaxle Hi-po trans  (Read 990 times)

Offline HeliMike

FS: Swingaxle Hi-po trans
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:27:32 PM »
Hey all. Just thought I'd throw this out there if anyone's interested.
Converted my 67 over to IRS so now I'm going buy another trans to go with the engine I just built and a taller R+P while I'm at it.
Don't know a whole hell of a lot about it. Was built by Terry Hoogstins (Terry H on the forums) a while back for Cale's old turbo dragster. I can't even remember if he got any good passes on it as he flogged the car after having a bunch of issues with tuning etc. and decided to build his baja instead. The trans has been in my car since I bought it a few years ago but only has about 6000 km's on it and no hi-hp launches. I took it to the track a couple times with a sacked-out old barely-better-than-stock 1776 and that's it. Never even got to peel the tires off. Been parked for the last year or so. Anyhow... Here's what I know (I'm not a trans guy. Just trying to repeat what I was told and what I remember from Cale)

Short-axle
4.12 R+P
Weddle snap-ring diff and billet side covers
Late SSC splined shaft converted to swingaxle (?)
Sway-a-way axles and stock housings
Low 1-3 with highway 4 (Still with 205/70's on the back the top speed ain't great)
Welded 3-4
There's a lot more that I'm forgetting and didn't know about to begin with. I know what Cale paid to have it built and it was NOT cheap. If anyone knows Cale you know he doesn't (or at least didn't) skimp out on cheap parts.

Anyways, puttin' it out there at $1000 obo. That's just over a third of what it cost him to have it built and about $800 less than what he originally sold it for.
I drove the car for a couple hours (few weeks back) before I pulled the engine and tranny out and I can assure you there are no issues with this unit whatsoever. Shifts flawlessly and no strange noises. Pulled the drain plug and nothing but the usual small amount of "fuzz" on the magnet... no part numbers  ::) Will throw in a set of type 3 4-bolt rear brake assemblies with the deal. Haven't inspected them at all but the drive flanges are probably ok to say the least. Still attached to a set of IRS trailing arms.

The trans is on the coast not in PG with me. Shoot me a PM or email me if interested.
Cheers
-Mike
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline HeliMike

Re: FS: Swingaxle Hi-po trans
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 10:52:33 PM »
 :o
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline HeliMike

Re: FS: Swingaxle Hi-po trans
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 11:33:50 PM »
 :D