Author Topic: Wtb; 94 golf 2l brain  (Read 1588 times)

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
Wtb; 94 golf 2l brain
« on: November 17, 2014, 06:14:03 PM »
I know dubberz is probably the better place for this, but mother in laws 96 golf is acting oddly and we can't figure the problem as its so intermittent. So, looking to replace the brain and see if that solves it. Anyone? Thanks
Brian Waz
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:30:36 AM by bwaz »
brian waz

Offline pittwagen

Re: Wtb; 96 golf 2l brain
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »
Is that an OBD 1 or OBD 2 engine.  There was a change around 96.  The computers will be different. You might want to do a little research on the Vortex before you jump to the ECU.  Have you checked for any stored codes.  Check engine light on?  What exactly is the intermittent problem?

Pick a Part in Chilliwack has ECU's for $29.95 if you go that route.

Offline CommodoreCollector

• Reborn Relics
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 07:24:50 PM »
OBD 1 last year was 1995. 1996 is OBD2

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:39:10 PM »
Is that an OBD 1 or OBD 2 engine.  There was a change around 96.  The computers will be different. You might want to do a little research on the Vortex before you jump to the ECU.  Have you checked for any stored codes.  Check engine light on?  What exactly is the intermittent problem?

Pick a Part in Chilliwack has ECU's for $29.95 if you go that route.

Intermittent stall, like no fuel or electrical issue where it's like you turned the key off. Can't reproduce it on demand so the two shops I go to are stumped. Tried a bunch of stuff, all costing $$ and the problem still happens. It's mother-in-laws car and she's now concerned about its reliability.
brian waz

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 10:06:37 PM »
So no codes?  And what has been done without success? And does it start right up again after it stalls?  Cold or normal op. temp. engine when it stalls?  Is the car driven on many short trips? Has the problem recently appeared in the fall or did it happen during the warm weather as well?

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »
No codes, distributor parts replaced, O2 sensor, all grounds cleaned and checked, starts right up after stalls, but sometimes (Saturday) it still runs ruff. I pulled over, popped the hood and wiggled everything I could see while trying to keep it from stalling. Took gas cap off to see that there wasn't a pressure issue, still ran very rough. Let it stall and started it again... Ran perfect? This one happened thirty seconds after a re-start, stooped for a couple of minutes just before. Car was warm from earlier driving. Yes, it's happened in warm weather as well.
brian waz

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 10:25:34 PM »
Any work been done on the fuel side? Does the car sit for extended periods?  Short trips around town and never a long highway drive?  Regular grade gas and not husky or mohawk I hope?

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 08:29:15 AM »
Short trips for sure, can sit for a few days at a time, no Mohawk or husky gas but regular grade gas until recently.
brian waz

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:56:34 AM »
I would be concentrating my efforts on the fuel side for now.  If I am correct that vehicle has an external fuel filter.  If so and if it hasn't been changed recently, change it.  Second get a good quality fuel system cleaner.  I have been using Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner for a while with good results on both fuel inj. and carbed vehicles - 5 in total on the road but with low usage.  Steve R. and I researched this product and it does contain Techron which is a decent cleaner.  There may be other products but this one had good reviews and was available locally - Lordco. The cheap stuff is just a waste of money.  Next run ethanol free gas - Chevron 94 or Shell 91. 

It may be argued that the engine doesn't require the octane but the ethanol in regular just causes all kinds of issues with short drives and gas sitting in tanks from low usage.  My fleet is a good example.

You may have to go further into the fuel system but I think this is a good and relatively inexpensive, starting point.

I'm sure there are other ideas but these steps have worked with my 5.

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 12:36:06 PM »
so, after a bit of confirmation... it's a 94 with a 1.8. Described symptoms to my local guy and he says he wants to change two fuel sensors. I asked about the filter, but he didn't want to try that at the moment, might have been changed? I'll try the Redline Complete, thanks again for the advice!
Brian
brian waz

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 03:21:55 PM »
Hold on here.  A 94 with a 1.8.  That is a different ball game.  Had 2 of those and they are notorious for having the throttle body flange come loose which, if not dealt with can create a very lean condition which in turn causes the ECU to compensate by richening the mixture which if left unchecked will destroy the cat and guck up the intake and even the combustion chambers.  This is a throttle body FI not individual injectors for each cylinder.  Ask about that.  If your person is a VW guy familiar with Mk 3's he should know about this issue and should have checked it.  That needs to get dealt with before any sensors are replaced.  Hopefully he has and is on to the next steps.  Just verify that the fuel filter has been changed.

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 08:23:53 AM »
so, the latest is that after a few sensors being replaced, it died again. Have to say, BCAA has been fantastic through this with numerous visits to help my mother-in-law. This visit from them had the car towed back to the mechanic again. They asked how old she was when she called in, "86" she said, well they said, you deserve a free tow! Again, they've been great. The car, would not start this time, nothing at all. Luckily when it got to the shop, it was still not working and they were hopefully able to trace it to a faulty alarm system that wasn't allowing the car to be started. Hopefully, this was the problem and not just one of a few!
brian waz

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
replaced the fuel filter a month and a half ago, and no problems since then, until yesterday! ;( Same rough running until you gun the pedal for a bit, then seems to come back to normal. Still sounds like a clog or crap in the gas tank... clogged injectors?
brian waz

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 11:53:39 AM »
Hold on here.  A 94 with a 1.8.  That is a different ball game.  Had 2 of those and they are notorious for having the throttle body flange come loose which, if not dealt with can create a very lean condition which in turn causes the ECU to compensate by richening the mixture which if left unchecked will destroy the cat and guck up the intake and even the combustion chambers.  This is a throttle body FI not individual injectors for each cylinder.  Ask about that.  If your person is a VW guy familiar with Mk 3's he should know about this issue and should have checked it.  That needs to get dealt with before any sensors are replaced.  Hopefully he has and is on to the next steps.  Just verify that the fuel filter has been changed.

I think I'll check the throttle body flange next. I think we're done with the mechanic who's tried to solve this problem.... so up to me now. ;) Is the flange replaceable easily or just pull it apart and clean it all up?
brian waz

Offline Trevor P

Re: Wtb; 94 golf 2l brain
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 06:09:25 PM »
Brian, as already mentioned the 1.8 flanges are notorious for cracking. They are pretty straight forward to replace. As much as I hate internet diagnosis, your symptoms sound oddly familiar.
I also found the wiring that runs on top of the backside of the valve cover to chafe through and short out causing a flooding and stalling issue once.
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 10:27:22 AM »
got a used throttle body and flange, going to try that and see what happens...
brian waz

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 10:00:29 AM »
errrr... the results aren't what was expected when swapping the throttle body! The car was running well, except when it wasn't... intermittently rough idle at no specific time before hand. Now, runs rough almost all the time? Checking for shorts and grounding issues, looking at pins to the throttle body, replaced the coil, but it made no difference. The old throttle body looked dirty, the new/used one pretty clean. Out of ideas, as is the mechanic. Can't spend anymore time/$$ trying to figure it out... thus the new ad for a car wanted.
brian waz