Author Topic: 1981 Scirocco - Restoration Project  (Read 1171 times)

Offline AirCooledRules

1981 Scirocco - Restoration Project
« on: February 25, 2007, 09:01:08 PM »
I know its not aircooled, but this forum does say Member VW's so it counts =).
Even though its not aircooled i thought some people might enjoy this thread,
i know i love seeing cars come together.

Ive got 2 VW restoration projects, one is this 1981 scirocco, and the second is my 1960 beetle which im not touching until this one is done. This car will act as experience before i tackle the beetle.

Now i know what your thinking, Who the hell would want to plow money into a scirocco, especially a restoration. Well its not just any restoration this is going to be a ground up rotisserie restoration.

I have had this car for i think about 3 years now, i bought it at a gas station in burnaby for $300, i think the guy originally wanted something close to $2000 for it, and it sat for a long time, then someone backed into the quarter panel and the fuel pump quit, at which point he went down to $1200ish if i remember correctly.
Anyhow we trailered it home after $300 exchanged hands. Put in a used fuel pump, started her up, drove her for about 50-60 kms and blew the clutch, and parked it for a couple years.

Ive been collecting parts for the restoration since i bought the car, and everyone kept asking me whats happening with that car as it sat dusty in my underground garage.

So last summer after i came back from a vacation in europe i decided i would get her running, so i got a friend to throw in a transmission with clutch from a late 90s 4cyl golf (bolts right up), changed the front shocks, cv boots, did a tune up with new plugs, cap, rotor and such. Now she was drivable.  

October 1st we moved in to our new house and before unpacking i started tearing her apart, and basically that is where im at right now. Here are some pictures in order to semi-present.

My objective with this is to produce the best scirocco in Canada/USA.  I know it sounds funny.

Here are the project progress pictures :

This is parked in front of my house last summer after being made a runner

The tires were very badly cracked and not holding air for long so i put on some cheap 15\" wheels that i scored temporarily. i also installed the yellow mercedes inner fogs (H3) which will be on the car when its done. They may look out of place right now.

This is the first couple days of stripping

This is the only piece that i badly need for the car, a crack free or with small cracks that can be fixed.

One of the nicest original vapour barriers ive seen.

That is where the interior sits at this point, still have the pedals in, the steering column and the headliner. All the glass has been pulled and all the wiring is out and gone.

Thats my other baby thats taking money away from the scirocco project. Hiding away from winter!

I sold a mint pair of fenders to a guy on the each coast last year because i thought mine were clean until i took them off the car. If you think its hard to find fenders for a bullet signal oval or a split, try finding early scirocco fenders. The difference is that for a beetle they will be expensive but a 5 minute search will yield you results, with a car like this you have to work with what you have, unless your lucky.

after picking up from airstrip

And there you have it. All comments welcome.
1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
1998 Audi A6