Author Topic: My 72 Chop Progress  (Read 4485 times)

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
My 72 Chop Progress
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2005, 10:20:13 PM »
Just in from the Drags Billy.  Sorry to hear you weren't able to make it and to have a leaker too.  Damn dude that sucks.  There were alot more vehicles running than I thought.  Great turn out guys.  Kudos to the organizers.  See you all at the big show.
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Billyisgr8

My 72 Chop Progress
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2005, 04:55:14 PM »
Whahoo, Well I am creating my own fun since I'm not there right now, my big up for the day is finding my rear main seal shreaded, and realizing my new seal was the old one, and the new one was still sitting in the package on the assembly table beside the bearing box, how...what the....ohwell, fooobar on me, new one is in, motor will be started again tonight.

Kevin

Billyisgr8

My 72 Chop Progress
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2005, 08:41:43 PM »
Here is a shot of my heads,  before and after.

Kevin

Billyisgr8

My 72 Chop Progress
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2005, 02:51:41 PM »
Well so many thing have happened, this car has been sitting since the middle of Aug, I had to get this on the road just so I didn't go mental from walking by every day. I have decided to put it under the tarp for now till next spring since there is to many things to do before the snow flies. BUT before I did I had to drive it just to let my mind be at ease. No front windows, seat belts, and I'm sitting on a block of wood.

This video is of the first time driving it. I actully laid some rubber with such a pathetic launch, my wife showed the crack in the road though after. I can't rev past 5000-5300 because of the throttle linkage is at the wrong ratio, I saw 2 pounds in 2nd gear so far, but shut it down about 3500 rpm since I did not want to be going faster where I was doing this in the gravel parking lot.
 So it will be awhile till my next singleport post next spring. But I will get it on the track next year

This video hosting web page is sucky, it takes much of the resolution away so it really is grainy....sorry it was free.

Kevin

http://www.zippyvideos.com/528392966121342.../drag_car_road/

A second video with a better launch and about 6' of rubber laid this time, but shut down at approx 3200rpm .

http://www.zippyvideos.com/3949793731213576/mov06703/

Launching with a 4 puck and a 7 pound flywheel is abit tricky, I can hardly wait till next year to really spend the time tuning. The winter is going to go by slow forsure.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 03:05:01 PM by Billyisgr8 »

Offline Hansk

My 72 Chop Progress
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2005, 09:30:55 AM »
:rockon:  
Big fat black fastback

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
My 72 Chop Progress
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2005, 12:35:08 PM »
I hope that thing hits the track next year can't wait to see it

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Billyisgr8

My 72 Chop Progress
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2005, 02:58:49 PM »
here is 1 more video of me revin the engine.  I did this to see when the smoke I was seeing was happening.  It looks like the turbo is getting to much oil.  I curently have it being fed through a 1/16 \" hole, but that seems to be to large.  Or the new center section carbon seal is toast allready, which could happen, but not likely.  On going by engine sound when accelerating it still seems lean by the slight poping I am hearing, so I would rule out being rich down low. Up high 4000+ it seems good.  And since this engine is race only, once the bugs are worked out it should pull right to 6500-7000 under boost, ...rich is good then.

The engine sounds good for being a 1600 singleport.

I should also add the SU carb makes the engine rev slower than with a reg carb.  The butterfly is wide open but the venturi piston doesn't rise until it sees enough vacuum to pull it up, and there is no accelerator pump squirt.  I would love to see how this engine revs with a regular carb that has a accelerator pump.  I'm sure it would be much faster with the 7 pound flywheel it has.  Even though it revs pretty quick.

Kevin

http://www.zippyvideos.com/403009669123023.../beetle_reving/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 03:03:34 PM by Billyisgr8 »

Billyisgr8

My 72 Chop Progress
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2006, 04:49:50 PM »
We'll.. I have decided to ditch the 2\" SU carb for this year since I allready know I don't have much time allready and it is only winter, most likely I won't be able to make anything happen, but this is for just in case.  

I will use  a dellorto sidedraft, since tuning is very quick.  
My SU took a whole day of tuning ....starting ...backfiring, take it apart.. tapering the needle, trying it again ...backfiring, taking it apart...tappering the needle, putting it back in ...backfiring...to where it is now which is still way lean..Horay no backfiring now...just lots of hesitation. And a blown carbon seal because of the backfiring.  If I had this dellorto in the begining I'm sure it would be close allready for being jetted, I have dellorto jets galore.

Anyway I hope this year works  for getting the car out to the track.  Atleast the car is mostly done, could use paint too, but orange, blue and grey is a cheap color scheme.  With stock pistons I won't be going faster than a 13 forsure.  If everything works out with my heads then I will bump the motor size up for the following year.  Then I will be looking for 11's. which in my car that weighs 1400 lbs I would need approx 210 hp and slicks .  Not a far stretch but a stretch forsure since this will be from a singleport.

Kevin

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
My 72 Chop Progress
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2006, 10:50:42 PM »
Make it a 1200 and I'll be impressed :P  
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Billyisgr8

My 72 Chop Progress
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2008, 06:05:49 PM »
2 years later and another update...

The Ginch Pincher is no more...The car is now the Gaunch Launcher, with nice Huge lettering to go on the doors

The engine is not what it used to be, still a singleport but much larger now it is a 2110.  Brothers machine did up the engine longblock with lots of extra's in the engine, I missed the GC last year as this longblock arived 2 weeks before the GC, and our work was so busy I just could not get any time to finish eveything else. So now over the Christmas holiday I was able to put in a few days to get the car closer to being ready to race again.  The car has to be put away not completed again, but work is more important as usual.  So I just have to finish the little stuff, wiring in the wideband and hooking up the rest of the electrical and vacuum lines.  Ohya and the carb linkage.  Then send the car away for a roll bar or cage, not sure which one yet, my car with me in it was 1750 so allready it is heavy, and am not sure what  the future for my car will be in times I want to be running.  This engine was built to make 360+ hp which would put me into the low 10's and wanting a cage forsure.  Also for now I don't want to be a boost hog and run huge boost, only 8 - 10 pounds , which is what my wastegate spring is.

Anyway here is a rear shot of the engine for now.

Kevin

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
My 72 Chop Progress
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2008, 06:38:54 PM »
Kevin, that looks BADASS!!! Cant wait.

Im still not worried though.  ;)  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 08:37:12 PM by red snapper »

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
My 72 Chop Progress
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2008, 08:13:17 PM »
afaik, if you want to run anything under an 11.5 you need a cage. i could be wrong tho.

but f@#k 10's. that thing will run a 9 fo sho. i cant wait to see you boost it up and run a 8. ;)

seriously tho, that motor looks badass. cant wait to hear it!! good job kevin!!

Billyisgr8

Re: My 72 Chop Progress
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2008, 06:13:40 PM »
...it is running now.... finally...here it is ;D  Huge chip off my back.  Hopefully will get to go racing tomorrow night in Kelowna.

http://media.putfile.com/vw-2110cc-turbo-singleport

Kevin