Author Topic: disk brake opinions  (Read 3332 times)

Offline stu817

disk brake opinions
« on: May 04, 2011, 02:14:44 PM »
I am just posting to find out what problems to expect and get opinions on the disk conversions kits available.

I have built many sand rails and have always used disk brakes (the off road kit rear only with no e-brake) and they worked great with the Jamar pedal setup. Now I have built myself a Manx for street use. I decided I wanted disks all around so I ordered an offshore kit from a local supplier. The front is a spindle mount caliper with no adapter and the rears are with e-brake. All went well with the installation and I finished the car. I took it for a test drive and had a pulsating brake issue real bad so I used a dial indicator and found that the front was out a bit but the rears were out a lot. I called my supplier and they said it happens sometimes. They advised me to get them turned and they would credit my account. So I did this and when I reinstalled them and took the car for a drive it was worse. So I checked them again and the rears were warped worse than before.

So I then reordered a new set of disks, checked them and they were almost true. There was still slight pulse when braking, but close enough. I drove most of the summer that way, but it still bugged me. I noticed that one rear was not running true and only contacting the disk a little, so I read up on this problem and found that with the stamped bracket you may need to bend it a bit to true up the caliper. So I installed new pads and I did this. I thought it was good but after awhile I looked and found it out of true again.

So I did more reading and came across an article on this problem that advises to source a kit with cast brackets. This required an entirely different kit because it uses different calipers than what I had. I ran this for awhile and still felt a small pulse, but all the pads were contacting correctly. Now it is a new year and I just went for a drive on the weekend and the small pulse still bugs me. Now I want to do something about it, and before someone comments that it may be a tire, the pulse is only noticeable when braking and it gets a little worse when they get hot.

All the disks seem to be a little off true and I’ve decided to order new disks from Airkewld. They seem to look a lot better and have a lifetime warranty. With their kit, if you want an e-brake the rears use the same caliper. So I just ordered the rear disk and will use the other parts that I have. For the front, I am on the fence: Stage one uses Ghia calipers, which I already have. Stage two uses Wilwood 2-piston calipers, and Stage three uses 4-piston calipers. I think I will just use the Ghia setup because the brakes stop me well and I will save some money.

I also read that a wheel bearing could cause the same issue but I want to try Airkewld’s disks anyways.
So, any opinion would be appreciated, and I did not spell check this so hope everyone understands.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:34:01 PM by jason_hamilton »

Offline stu817

Re: disk brake opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 04:11:35 PM »
Thank you to whomever fixed this post.
I am working so I did not have the time to.
Building a submarine and time is running out

Offline dawerks

Re: disk brake opinions
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »
I had similar issues with disc brakes, but different car/model.

Go for a drive, and SLAM on the brakes.  As many times as you can in a row before you get brake fade.  Careful!  It happens really quickly.

This method can true up alot of brake problems; it gets rid of small air bubbles.  It seats pads/rotors etc.  I've never had bad results after using this method (except the first time I had brake fade, that was eye opener!!).

Try it, be safe.