Author Topic: IRS rear brake problems  (Read 3952 times)

Offline somevwguy

• Jeff
    • strictlygerman.ca
IRS rear brake problems
« on: April 09, 2010, 12:00:54 PM »
I'm trying to get my brakes together on my bug and this happend:

It seems like the drum will not go all the way onto the splines, both sides ended up the same.  I can turn the drums freely.  I've measured the lengeth of the splines and when compared to a spare set the are about 1 cm shorter.  Are there diffrent drums for some IRS stub axles?  Maybe I have the wrong rear bearing keepers? could the backing plates be diffrent?  thanks for the help, Jeff
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:18:04 PM by somevwguy »

Offline somevwguy

• Jeff
    • strictlygerman.ca
Re: IRS rear brake problems
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 01:20:16 PM »
the rear bearing keepers I'm using are off a 68 auto stick, could that be the problem?

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 01:33:24 PM »
get the snub machined down...

oldbugger

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »
is your drum up tight against your backing plate? is your backing plate mounted behind your bearing cap ? do you have two spacers on each side? [should be one] is the stub pushed all the way in from the back? if not tightin the nut to pull it through. slide the drum off and get post a pic of whats going on behind

Offline somevwguy

• Jeff
    • strictlygerman.ca
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 04:45:46 PM »

I tryed to use the impact to bring the stud out, but it didn't budge.  thanks for the help

Offline somevwguy

• Jeff
    • strictlygerman.ca
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 05:37:33 PM »
is there suposed to be this much gap? wtf

Billyisgr8

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 07:51:51 PM »
Your axle stud has to go way in, that flange should practicly line up with the edge of the bump on the trailing arm.   Bottom it out to the bearing.

Kevin

Offline somevwguy

• Jeff
    • strictlygerman.ca
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 08:21:41 PM »
Your axle stud has to go way in, that flange should practicly line up with the edge of the bump on the trailing arm.   Bottom it out to the bearing.

Kevin

I just went out... first I took everything apart, put the bearing cap and drum on with the same result.  Next I removed the CV joint, and tried to tighten the axle nut, it made no diffrence at all.  I even tried to tap the CV flange with a hammer and it wouldn't budge.  How can I remove the stud?  I can't get it to budge in either direction.  Do I need a bigger hammer, I didn't heit it that hard, can I damage anything?

oldbugger

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 09:10:24 PM »
take your drum off  remove the cv axles and put the castle nut on backwards  and wack it with a big f@#* hammer [it will pop out] then check if theres an extra set of spacer on the back of the stub . are those Type 3 automatic axles? if so they are shorter then standard trans one about a inch so the cv axles may be holding your stubs back
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:50:22 AM by oldbugger »

Offline somevwguy

• Jeff
    • strictlygerman.ca
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 01:09:58 PM »
Well it turned out that there was an extra spacer on the stub axle. I removed it and cleand all the paint off the first spacer, greesed everything and it all went back together easaly.  Thanks for the Help   You_Rock_Emoticon

Offline Bruce

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 11:55:47 PM »
. are those auto stick cv axles? if so they are shorter then standard trans one about a inch so the cv axles may be holding your stubs back
auto stick axles are exactly the same as those used on a 4 speed.  You are thinking about Type 3 automatic axles.  They are not the same as a stick's axles.