Author Topic: looking for opinions  (Read 1646 times)

Offline stevie chwk

• AirSpeed Forum Member
looking for opinions
« on: April 05, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »
Just started playing with a roof rack idea I have for my p/u. I bent up some bows to make a canvas canopy and then the thought of adding a full length roof rack to that sort of creating a ladder rack. You will need to use your imagination a bit at this point when looking a t the photo. I hope you can get a good idea of where I'm going with this. let me know what you guys think. I'm sort of on the fence but the more I toy with it the more I like it.

Ps I hope I figured out this posting photos thing.

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: looking for opinions
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 12:00:49 PM »
I hate it!   So when you sell it let me know and I will take it off your hands.  )
70 tintop kombi.  "Never 4 Sale!!!!"

Offline WESTY69

• Just Slam it and Drive It !!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 12:03:10 PM »
Dam I love that SC !! Here's a thought , just before the bend on ur supports , cut and fit the ladder portion to go on either side , then add 2 curved additional supports for underneath the wood . So you get the strength , the look of the ladder rack and then the canvas has a zipper along the side of the ladder rack to have either full coverage or optional sides to take off ?

Haha u said use ur imagination !!
Those that mind , don't matter !!
Those that matter , don't mind :)

Offline WESTY69

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 12:13:45 PM »
Quick and dirty sketch of incorporating all features and making it custom . Fun project :)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 07:44:34 PM »
^^ look at this guy busting out the graphing paper. that better be to scale jerry, or the boss is gonna be pissed!  :laugh:

stevie...I like the idea of a low profile rack over some bows & canvas. a little different and user friendly. my only suggestion would be to add some strength/support like jerry said.  :)

Offline WESTY69

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »
This is right up my alley because I'm restoring a DC and a rack/canopy is something that I would like to have but custom , so seeing someone thinking right out if the box but keeping a retro feel , ohhhhh yah , that's awesome :)

Offline Randy

• Formerly Tikitime
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »
Make it stealth and lower profile, by mounting the rack under the bows, and zip open back flap to allow for longer ladders,etc.

Offline stevie chwk

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 07:09:18 AM »
Thanks for all the input guy. love all the suggestions. keep them coming. hopefully by Monday I will have some solid direction with this rack and I can find an extra hour or two and start cutting and welding.