Author Topic: Natural Gas  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Matt_G

Natural Gas
« on: November 13, 2005, 10:49:20 PM »
Hi.

I just got a 1976 Type 2 Westfalia campmobile. : )

I'm hoping that it's possible to convert it to Natural Gas. A reconditioned gasoline engine was installed two years ago. The main reason I'm doing this is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. What do you think, is this possible?

Matt

Offline Cameron

Natural Gas
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 11:08:26 AM »
Hi Matt,

The intial purchase, and installation of a NG kit is NOT cheap. It may be cheaper to convert to Megasquirt EFI, and you'll get better mileage. I have a dual fuel NG/gasoline kit  on my 81 Dodge van.  It has turned out to be very economical, and reliable to run.  My van has a single carb, with the NG mixer on top. Your VW van is probably dual carbs. So, you will need two mixers, or have to convert to a single carb.

The tanks for NG are large. You have to find a place to mount them. I'm sure you will not want them inside your camper, taking up valuable space. Is there room to mount them on the bottom of the vehicle?

My van is for sale, cheap! If you need NG parts, it would be cheaper to buy the van, and take the parts you need, then to buy a new NG kit. Also, it would best to have someone with NG vehicle experience do the hook up, as lots of specialized tools, and knowledge are required. I think the Yellow Pages has a listing for Natural Gas Conversions, maybe wise to phone around and get some info.

Check out Landi-Renzo website HERE for info about NG kits / parts. These guys are the main manufacturers of NG kits.  

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline vwboop

• Chris & Gina
Natural Gas
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 03:33:04 PM »
I have a propane kit for a 1600. Would this adapt to a pancake? Some parts may need refurbishing, but would be cheaper than buying all new I imagine. Came off an industrial motor in a zamboni. B)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 03:35:46 PM by vwboop »