Author Topic: 96 Jetta -  (Read 1159 times)

Offline dubintheblood

96 Jetta -
« on: September 02, 2005, 07:30:58 PM »
Hi!  Any input would be appreciated from your knowledgeable group.  My 96 Jetta died/would not start and a trusty BCAA fellow gave me a jump start and off I went.  He suggested the baking soda/water trick on my connections and a new battery.  My \"dood\" is out of town so it being a Sunday night I went to Walmart?? (I know - not my first choice either) but given the time and day - off I went.  Was given a new battery but not before the clerk hemmed and hawed about the year of my Jetta and \"how many options do you have\" (GLX) - she kind of hesitated selling it to me then kind of just kept quite and processed my card.  Anyways long and short - my car hasn't run completely \"right\" since all week  :blink: - can hear kind of like a surge in the engine as I drive and my sunroof opened/closed without fail but now will not close (I can hear the motor whirring but no action) - kind of like its not getting enough power.  Weird how it would go right after the new battery was installed.  Makes me think of my new Walmart battery and the hesitation that was there before it was sold to me.  Is it my imagination or just a coincidence??  Any input would be greatly appreciated!  On the phone to my guy - love him as I do - he does not have \"dub in the blood\" and has no answers to my many questions. Thanks in advance!  Enjoy the site and all the stories and jokes - my first actual post so be gentle please  :lol:  :lol:    

Offline onlyin65

96 Jetta -
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 09:22:14 PM »
does not sound like the batt was the problem  just a symptom have your alternator  tested should be 14.2 volts  also check all grounds from batt to chassis and engine  my radio cut out when my alt went  lady at wal mart  may have sold you too small a batt but i'd check alt output first goodluck.,,

Offline dubintheblood

96 Jetta -
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 09:52:46 PM »
thank you for the reply and info!

Offline s3racing

• http://www.walti-sanitaer.ch
96 Jetta -
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 11:53:03 AM »
I've delt with a few water boxers Bad Ground is common, and I'd check to see what the lady at Kmart sold you. Like He said 13.5-14.4 IS acceptable voltage at the alternator. And baking soda water and a good wire brushfor those posts, that corrosion could cause you many problems like a dead batterie. As the alternator nolonger has a proper charging and Ground Connection.  For a GLX with options like power sun roof it should be a Larger one but For the VW There is not alot of options for size. As VW keeps it simple. IF I remember correctly should be a 500 - or 600 that you'll get aftermarket.  540 Is what the factory had in them, I had a 96 to.o Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 12:01:40 PM by s3racing »

Offline dubintheblood

96 Jetta -
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 09:14:15 PM »
How is the weather there in Willies Pond?  Funny - my guy is up there doing the reno for your Tim Hortons in town - that is why I am on my own with this battery scenario.  Small world.  Thanks for the info - appreciated.   :)