Author Topic: Under Seat Gas Heater  (Read 1148 times)

Offline notorious B.U.G.

Under Seat Gas Heater
« on: February 05, 2007, 08:44:34 PM »
A couple of Questions..........

Has anyone installed and or have any pictures of an under the rear seat style gas heater?
I want to remove my heater boxes but I am not interested in not having any heat and or defrost in my beetle.
I would rather not have an under the hood style, and the wabsto heater that installs above the Transaxle looks ideal.
I assume it hooks up to the heater channels thereby allowing for defrost as well as heat.
There is a PDF of the Original german manual on the Samba:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manual...eatermanual.pdf
The problem is I don't read German and there is no good complete pictures of this installed.
Does this style of heater have a blower fan or does it still use the engine fan blowing through the heater boxes
to provide air? If so I guess that would not allow for the removal of the H boxes therefor not an option for my needs.
Or could you run hoses from the fan shroud, bypassing the heater boxes and just blow directly into the gas heater?
So has anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris B
56 Patina Sedan

Offline Bruce

Under Seat Gas Heater
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 08:54:10 PM »
In all my years, I have seen plenty of those heaters.  They were installed in 67 and 68 Beetles (maybe 66s too?).  I have never seen one that worked.  Lanny may have some more info on that heater that would be in a 67.  I think the poor reliability of the Webasto heater booster is why VW went back to a B2 heater in 69.

I think they don't have any internal fan, that the forced air from the shroud is the only thing that moves the air.  You should be able to find a dead one around here to play with before you commit to that NOS one on theSamba.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 08:59:51 PM by Bruce »

Offline Trevor P

Under Seat Gas Heater
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 06:50:01 PM »
Don't waste your time IMO.
Get a clean B2, and you will not only save yourself money, but also a lot of headaches in the longrun.
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T