Author Topic: removing spark plug with helicoil  (Read 1586 times)

Offline snailrider

removing spark plug with helicoil
« on: August 17, 2009, 11:23:01 PM »
this may be a dumb question but i have a helicoil on my number two spark plug. i would like to take the spark plug out and change it. Is this going to be a bad thing, i believe the plug has the largest helicoil on it now and i'm a little worried i've never changed a plug with a helicoil on it. should the plug come out the same as the others plugs or will the helicoil come out with it. should i have a new helicoil ready before i attempt to change it. is there any i should know before i change this spark plug
any help would be great
thanks

Offline Darren Dilley

Re: removing spark plug with helicoil
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 06:59:35 AM »
the helicoil should stay in the the head.. if it does come out the the plug you will have to replace the helicoil with a new one. its not a big deal   
life without racing..is no life at all

Offline Cameron

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:39:40 AM »
"Helicoil" is a brand name of threaded insert and they don't usually come out. Are you sure you're not thinking of a different brand of insert?

If a Helicoil insert comes out (highly unlikely), then you will need to install a new insert with a spcial tool. If other brands come out with the spark plug, you can usually take them off the old plug, and move it over to the new plug. Reinstall. Becareful! If you strip it, or crossthread it, you're buggered.

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:31:38 PM »
Becareful! If you strip it, or crossthread it, you're buggered.

exactly...it can go from calm blue ocean to raging brown s#!t storm in a matter of seconds.

do it with the engine cold (less likely for the plug & helicoil to be "bonded" together) and if you get the plug out no problems put a drop of oil on the threads of the new plug before installing (should help a little for the next time you pull it out).

i went through the same thing a few years ago. pulled #2 plug & the threaded insert (not what most refer to as a helicoil...but a threaded insert made by the brand helicoil...like cameron said) came out with it. i put a little loctite on the threaded insert and stuck it back in the head with the plug hoping the next time i pulled the plug the insert would stay in the head...but it didnt. also...the threads in the head were buggered so i needed to install a new threaded insert (save-a-thread...or timecert)....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.justatv.com/pages/heli_coil_images/heli_inserts.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.justatv.com/pages/heli_coil_kits/helicoil.htm&usg=__zh-u8NgxUROlms368a9h6JABbI0=&h=264&w=371&sz=47&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=KeZriYHZDpnMLM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=122&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtimecert%2B%252B%2Bhelicoil%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

i pulled the motor because it had to come out anyways and it was alot easier with the motor out of the car. wheel bearing grease on the tap and one half turn in and back out at a time saved any aluminum filings from falling into the combustion chamber. after each half turn i would take the tap out, clean it with brake clean, re-apply fresh wheel bearing grease and turn it in another 1/2 turn. repeat this process until the hole has fresh clean threads & the rest is straight forward. clean well with brake clean, loctite the insert, thread it in the hole, peen the edges, let it cure & you're good to go.

i did mine 3 years ago and i havent had a problem since. i'm sure you can do it with the motor in the car...but it's WAY easier with it out.

not that this is going to happen to you...i know it'll be smooth sailing...i just wanted to share! ;)

Offline snailrider

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:05:40 PM »
thank you for all your help  :)