Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 26041 times)

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Introduction
« on: April 27, 2006, 01:24:22 PM »
AirSpeed is pleased to announce our new restoration finishing and consultation services are now available. Whether it's a show car, drag car, or just a nice daily driver, we can create and execute a restoration plan for your car. Our shop rate is $55.00/hour.

A current project car we're working on is the completion of Tom Rivers' 1956 Beetle. Some of you will remember seeing this car at our shop a few years ago. Jim Coma bought it and Tom purchased it from Jim before it was completed. Now it's back and it should be on the road (and track) by this June. A former show car in the 80's, this beetle is being turned into Tom's vision of what a vintage street/strip car should be:

Killer black paint looks great. The body rubber, trim molding and bumpers are all Wolfsburg West.

2332 engine.

Decklid and fenders stored out of harm's way.

This car had a pretty straight body to begin with and you can see how great the finish turned out.

A peek inside the \"office\".

Carpeting was hand made by Gary Economy's Tuck & Cover. Perfect!

The interior features genuine square weave carpeting, a Flat-4 steering wheel, a Moon tach, a Berg shifter, billet cruiser pedal and Wolfsburg West floor mats

Mohair headliner by Gary Economy.

This wiring is around 20 years old, but it looks and works great, so it was retained. The fuel tank has beed powdercoated to match the engine tin, and will be secured by LanD billet hold-downs. We'll also be using a LanD custom billet fender bolt kit

This car's fuel system is a plumbed with a kit designed and assembled by Jim, which includes a Holley fuel pump. (see ASP-FL001-KIT)

Optima battery with custom mounting bracket.

Digital 6 ignition module.

This is a stock width aluminum beam by Jamar. We are having some custom aluminum beam retainers fabricated to secure it in place.

Powdercoated front suspension components with stainless steel braided brake lines and Carrera shocks. A wide five front disc conversion kit will also be utilized.

Sprint Star wheels wearing 215/65-15 BF Goodrich Traction T/A tires.

JayCee custom spring plate retainers with bronze bushings. AirSpeed limiting straps. Adjustable spring plates.

This is a 2332 cc engine built in an aluminum case and mated to Krewenchuk 044 heads. It's got an 86C camshaft, wedgemated DPR 84 stroke crank and a 12.5 lb. flywheel. It has a full flow oiling system and the heads have been tapped for breathers. It will be equipped with a Phoenix/Berg 1-3/4 inch meged header and a custom muffler. Lot's of work went into shaping the engine tin for a perfect fit before it was powdercoated. Taylor 409 racing ignition wires get zap from an MSD HVC coil and a Pertronx-equipped 009 distributor.

Massive 52mm Berg carbs. Don't fall in!

Scat valve covers, a 3-1/5 quart deep sump and our very own AirSpeed drag bar.

Aircraft quality plumbing throughout.

All the components and parts you see here are available through AirSpeed. Give us a call anytime to discuss your needs.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 05:18:16 PM by jason_hamilton »
Jason Hamilton

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Introduction
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 04:40:51 PM »
Looks killer.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 04:41:07 PM by Hulk »
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline HeliMike

Introduction
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 07:17:03 PM »
Damn! What a beautiful job you guys  :rockon:  
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline 1blk66

Introduction
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 12:12:47 PM »
Jason,
First off, great to hear Airspeed is offering such a service. Second, kudos to Tom and Jim that car looks SIIIIIICK !! I can't wait to see it finished it looks pretty close.

Thirdly, is Airspeed going to be doing the work or will you be sub'ing it out( ie rust repair, body work or are these things you will even be doing) ?  

Finally, Airspeed rocks, and its to nice to be at work so f*#! it I'm going home to work on the 66  :rockon:

Todd

Offline tanman

• http://
Introduction
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 04:32:58 PM »
will you guys put in one piece window seals?? im still trying to find someplace that will...
tanner

Offline vwshawn

Introduction
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 07:58:49 AM »
Looks great!
Nice Car and nice work!!!

Regarding the installation of one piece window seals, you could try Stephan Feeg at 604.590.4409
Thanks,
Shawn

Offline epic3

• http://
Introduction
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 04:59:08 PM »
Wow thats a nice project good work guys

Offline Spooner

Re: Introduction
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 11:10:51 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats awesome.Great work!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chris E.

• I like you.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 03:12:24 PM »
What ever happened to this car? I remember it being 4 sale on TheSamba a couple of years ago for around 25 grand. Is it still around?

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 08:19:24 PM »
It's nice and safe, tucked away until spring ;D

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 09:53:50 PM »
This car has been removed from its secure tucked away space and will be seen out and about
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 08:18:35 AM »
This car has been removed from its secure tucked away space and will be seen out and about

Shane, did you end up purchasing this car?  It was an absolute STEAL of a deal!

Offline Project Decade

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 04:16:59 PM »
Hello everyone, by any chance would someone on the forum happen to know the person who currently owns this car? If so could you please send me the info via private message.

Thanks

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 10:24:33 PM »
Hello everyone, by any chance would someone on the forum happen to know the person who currently owns this car? If so could you please send me the info via private message.

Thanks

i may be thinking of a different car (cant see pics in this thread, but below is a pic i took in 2009 and what "i think is the same car")...pretty sure it's still owned by someone in the lower mainland and also was recently for sale...?

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 08:28:27 AM »
Yup that's the one!

Offline Project Decade

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 02:39:20 PM »

Thanks

Anybody?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 06:56:22 PM »
Seen cruising the streets of Langley last summer. He was at Timmies and the Langley car show at Willowbrook mall. Not sure if anyone talked with him to find out who the owner is .
58 Beetle

Offline Project Decade

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 04:16:34 PM »

Thanks

Still looking to speak with the current owner. Any information would be much appreciated

Thanks