Author Topic: Bleeding Brakes  (Read 3924 times)

Offline billybob57

Bleeding Brakes
« on: August 10, 2009, 03:55:59 PM »
I had a question about bleeding brakes i was wondering the order of bleeding brakes is it furthest to closest or closest to furthest?
I have a dual m/c
i have Disc brakes in front and drum in rear
So ive read that with disc brakes u bleed the front first then the back and is it closest to the m/c you start at or does it matter where i start?     
  Thanks     
   Bill

Offline Chris W

• Portland Oregon
Re: Bleeding Brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »
I always do passenger rear, drivers rear, passenger front, and drivers front.  Have disc up front T3 drums in back.

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 06:29:32 PM »
x2

Offline jefftrish

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 07:03:07 PM »
 If it is drums all around, then it is rear first.

I just went though the same thing, disc in the front, drums on the back. And yes after some searching, it is front first, bleed the brake disc that is farthest away first, then the other disc next, then the back drums, same thing farthist away first. Something else I learned, was if you have installed a new master cylinder, you have to bench bleed it before doing anything, very important. I hope this helps. And this info is for a dual master cylinder.

Best regards, Jeff :)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 07:09:46 PM by jefftrish »

Offline billybob57

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
Yes Jeff thanks i was not certain, my friend says he does fronts first always, i new that was wrong but read somewhere discs get done first! I have installed m/c before without bench bleeding and everything turned out fine..thanks again    Bill
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 07:31:39 PM by billybob57 »

Offline jefftrish

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 08:27:33 PM »
Hi again, It was just brought to my attention, the way I told you is for buses, and  does not apply to bugs. Confused yet? I am. The way the first 2 posters explained is right. My bad. Regards Jeff  :-[

Offline Bruce

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 08:30:56 PM »
It's all a big MYTH!

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference where you start.  The MC doesn't know how long the lines are, and the length of the line makes no difference in getting the air out.  Eventually you have to get all the air out of all the lines.

Start wherever you want, then keep going around the car until you've got a good pedal.

Offline billybob57

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 08:33:05 PM »
So Bruce what about Bench Bleeding????thx     Bill

Crank

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 10:01:44 PM »
IMHO I think the MC should be bench bled...

On beetles I have always started at the back rear passenger wheel, and work around as Billybob says. But I always go around more than once... so yes it could very well be a myth  :-*
So as long as the MC is free of air, any air still in the the system will eventually pump.

However on a dual MC front disc setup, I feel I have had better success bleeding the front first.
I'll have to dig up all of my charts and graphs to proove it though.  :P

Offline Bruce

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 11:51:20 PM »
So Bruce what about Bench Bleeding????thx     Bill
Can't hurt.  Do it if you want.  I don't bother.

One common problem I see online is people not using their brains.  Like installing calipers with the bleeders on the bottom.
Read through this one:

http://www.vvwc.ca/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6055

If you are having troubles getting a good pedal, it has nothing to do with which corner you started at.

If anyone has a technical reason to support starting at the RR, let's hear it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:02:22 AM by Bruce »

Offline Hansk

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 08:38:50 AM »
I think the bench bleeding applies to master cyls with a reservoir on them.  I think if you try to bench bleed our masters , by the time you then get it in the car , mounted and all the lines on , the master will be empty again and your starting from scratch again.  Get it all together , open all the bleeder screws , let it gravity bleed , then close them and bleed each wheel as necessary.
Big fat black fastback

Offline surgerypending

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 09:48:01 AM »
I had a hard time with the SC. I ended up having to vacume bleed it to get the fluid tru. My main problem started out with a set of front brake hoses that looked like brand new but were collasped inside.
I agree with Bruce, I don't think it really matters where you start.
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »
brakes just slow you down, skip the whole process