Author Topic: 64 Van Front Brake Mystery  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Splinter

• 64 Van Restoration
64 Van Front Brake Mystery
« on: June 27, 2009, 12:43:40 PM »
After a couple of years in the carport, I'm ready to get the van rolling again but ran into a weird problem:

When I replaced the front brake shoes on my '64 Van last time, they didn't fit right. In the end I modified one end of each shoe to make them work. The bonding has let go on those shoes now so I need to replace them.

This time I ordered '64 shoes and also early '63 shoes to try to sort out the fit problem. The '64 shoes don't fit into the adjuster side properly but they are the correct diameter. The '63 shoes fit the adjusters perfectly but the diameter is too small. Now I'm thinking maybe the wheel cylinders are from a '63 and just happen to fit in a '64? If anyone can give me some insight into how I get this mystery solved I'd really appreciate it!

Here is a picture of the setup that is on there now:

UPDATE: I looked on the CIP1 site and the 63/64 cylinders look pretty similar but not the same. I'm going to order 4 new ones for the '64 and cross my fingers. Judging by the shitty brake line install I inherited (see Pic) the last guy probably put the wrong ones on.

Anyone need '55-'63 Bus front shoes?
I bought a brand new set of Raybestos shoes for $60 bucks + tax and they took a couple of weeks to get. Anyone? $40 and they are yours. If no one replies in a week or two I'll take 'em back.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 10:15:36 PM by Splinter »
-= 1964 Bus =-

Offline buggybilly

Re: 64 Van Front Brake Mystery
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:06:47 PM »
try a 64 -67 wheel cylinder there cheap enough.i know the later pad are a tight fit into the wheel clyinder.
good luck

Offline Splinter

• 64 Van Restoration
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 01:54:58 PM »
I bought new wheel cylinders, that was the problem, the old ones were for '63 and earlier. Someone hacked out the holes in the backing plate to make them fit. Now I can get it done!

Does anyone know where I can get the metal parts that are riveted on to the backing plates to stop the adjusters from spinning freely? Mine are gone. I don't see those listed on any parts sites, and the local parts shops are pretty useless for these types of parts. Are they available or is this a "make your own" situation?
-= 1964 Bus =-

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:30:29 PM »
I bought new wheel cylinders, that was the problem, the old ones were for '63 and earlier. Someone hacked out the holes in the backing plate to make them fit. Now I can get it done!

Does anyone know where I can get the metal parts that are riveted on to the backing plates to stop the adjusters from spinning freely? Mine are gone. I don't see those listed on any parts sites, and the local parts shops are pretty useless for these types of parts. Are they available or is this a "make your own" situation?

From what I've been able to find so far the general consensus is fab up some yourself and rivet them in place.  What I found on "the samba" and seemed to work was the strapping used for pallets.  A few guys have drilled and bent up a piece to replace the missing ones.  Do you have one to use as a template.  I just brought a piece of strapping home to try it out myself.  I'm only missing one of the clips so I'll give it a shot. 
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:31:47 PM »
Found the link I'd saved just now...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=224923
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline Splinter

• 64 Van Restoration
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 10:06:36 PM »
Thanks for the link and info Mowser, that's great.

Now at least I know what they are supposed to look like, all of mine are broken! I made 4 of them from the spring steel clips from a socket set rack and I'm going to rivet them on tomorrow. They are not quite as classy as the ones on the samba site but they look like they will work perfectly.

No more pulling over every couple of hours to loosen off the left rear brakes!
-= 1964 Bus =-

Offline Mowser

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 12:01:09 AM »
Glad to help.  sometimes finding the info is the most difficult part.  Case in point!
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window