Author Topic: diskbrake problem  (Read 3689 times)

Russ

diskbrake problem
« on: May 01, 2008, 10:21:32 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i bought a cb disk brake kit in november of last year.i just burned through a set of pads in 4000 miles.
this is a link pin bolt on kit no drop spindles.they are mounted on my 57 beetle.i have 58-64 rear brakes on it right now and a single phase master cylinder.
the problem i'm having are the brakes seem to be on all the time,passanger side spins with some resistance but driver takes some effort to spin it.i was told a braided line probably collapsed so i ordered a new set of pads and new braided lines.opened them yesterday and the pads are the wrong ones.so i figured i would replace the lines,this made no difference what so ever.i will call them to get a different set of pads after i find out i don't need any other parts.any ideas on what the problem is?
i have a set on my 55 drop spindles and they have type three rear brakes and they spin nicely.
any thoughts or ideas would be great as this is my wifes dailey driver
thanks russ

Offline josh

Re: diskbrake problem
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:56:46 AM »
could the master cyl not be releasing?
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Russ

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 12:45:28 PM »
could the master cyl not be releasing?
could be but i thought that both would be tight and not just the one side,all though both seem too tight for me

Offline dirtydeedss

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 01:21:30 PM »
On my 68 the rear brakes were sticking, it turned out to be a collapsed rubber brake hose, maybe that could be your issue?

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 01:43:58 PM »
try loosening the bleeders and see if they do release, also check that your brake pedal is adjusted properly

Russ

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 01:56:49 PM »
try loosening the bleeders and see if they do release, also check that your brake pedal is adjusted properly
i broke the bleeder loose last night and it spins freely,so i replaced the braided line(blew through it and it seemed fine)
as soon as i hit the brake and release again they are tight driver more than passenger.as for adjustment it was pushed right out so the brake was so hard,now it is quite soft but does not seem to release any better??
the brakes cb sent were the wrong ones so i have to get another set but i would hate to get them only to replace them in another 4000 miles??

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »
check the master as well, Orig masters have a built in residual valve (only on 68-69) VW masters, If it's a replacement master it should not have one and be fine. If the calipers are still holding to much psi  and it's not a hose ask them if a wilwood 5 lbin line residual valve will work.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 09:07:21 PM »
But Geoff, a check valve is gonna hold pressure in the line.  That's going the wrong way.

Russ, I can't explain it, but if it were me, I would have a late Beetle dual cct master cylinder in there.

Russ

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 07:02:38 AM »
can i buy a buggy master cylinder?with the resvoir on top rather than dicking around with different size hose lines?
thanks for the answeres so far

Offline RoadRunner

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 08:42:50 AM »
Yeah, thanks :)
It turns out stopping is ALMOST as important as going :P
Erin
If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad.

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 01:05:25 PM »
I went with the dual circut master and stuck a volvo 240 brake resevoir on it. Pulled the hose fitting off and plugged the resevior on. Pretty easy. I bought the resevior from Ed Shramm motors in Surrey. $10 used.

Jeremy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=493742
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 09:16:32 PM »
Yeah, thanks :)
It turns out stopping is ALMOST as important as going :P

dont let people fool you with that kind of nonsense!

Offline GMB

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »
Russ Just "T" off the reservoir to the dual master under the tank for a stock look. I did it on my 66 fasty and it works fine. No problems with emergency as the hose above each section of master will hold enough fluid if there is a failure. Gary.
Warrior sand rail:
2276cc 82x94
Engle FK-41 with 1.25:1 street style rockers
40x35.5 stock cast single port heads
Single 40mm Kadron w/32vent
Equalizer 5lb pulley
Stock lifters
Stock aluminum pushrods
26mm aluminum oil pump full flow
*Poor mans rack and pinion up front*