Author Topic: Trans Possibilities  (Read 1358 times)

Offline s3racing

• http://www.walti-sanitaer.ch
Trans Possibilities
« on: May 05, 2004, 07:22:59 AM »
B) Hay here is a question I've been wondering for a while. I know there is a outfitt in the USA that converts Your IRS trans into 5spd but what other options are there when you want 1-2 more gears in your bug. I've thought about  5/6spd porsches like a g50 or so as I've heard you can bolt in the old 2.0s out of a 914 /912 has anyone heard or done anything like this. I was thinking ao a 914 trans 5spd but that is mid mount and you would have to do either a lot of mods to your car or change the gears in the trans. I think it was the spider gears and diff that would have to be changed.  

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Trans Possibilities
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 07:46:08 AM »
This could take a while to explane, I'll give a condensed version as i'm sure more people will post info as well.
The comp you may be thinking of is \"Gene Berg ent\" or Bergs as we call it. They make the 5 speed conversion and a few forum members have them. The most common confusion is that people thing your getting a extra gear. This is not really true as what your doing is making a closer 1-4 gear set then instaling a stock 4th in the 5th location giving good track times and hwy drivability.

You can instal a Porsche 911 trans, a 901 is the easy one to instal. A 914 has a side shift 5 speed and is too much work. a Porscg 911 915 trans will also work  but you need to find one with the correct ratio as your motor may not have enough power to use it.

Yes you can convers a 914 2.0L into a beetle but it can be costly and you still only end up with 100hp or so.

Build a nice 2.0l T1 motor and a good t1 3;88 trans 4speed or Berg 5 and you should be happy, if not go towards the 901 or 915 (the last two can be expensive and a lot needs to be done to make them work.
Geoff.