Author Topic: Pressure Plate  (Read 2995 times)

Offline 1969deluxebus

• Cruising in a Bay is the only way.
Pressure Plate
« on: February 27, 2004, 01:51:16 AM »
has anyone ever seen a  pressure plate colapes three times. they were all sachs and they all did it with in a two year period. would it be me driving? I just don't know why it would always do this. i just thouht i woudl throw it out there to the form house. It is in a bus with a stock 1600 single port
Matt Street
I love driving and I love driving either my bay window or TDI

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Pressure Plate
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 09:35:50 AM »
Maybe someone changed the bell housing at some time and it has a 71 style throw out shaft, (if the wrong year thow out bearing is used)this will cause the bearing to push to one side and colapse the P plate.
I know you put all the early parts in last time, disc,PP and T/O bearing....maybe post a pic of the trans when the motor is out.

Offline dannyboy

Pressure Plate
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 11:25:43 AM »
maybe your over centering the pp??
-dan

Offline 1969deluxebus

Pressure Plate
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 11:38:04 AM »
what does over centering mean u can do that ?
matt street

Offline dannyboy

Pressure Plate
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 11:51:58 AM »
if its an early style, if you push the pp too far it starts to push unevenly. if heard of this happening, and it could decrease the life of the pp
lol just a guess, dont take my advice to seriously, ive been known to be wrong    :D
-dan

Offline 1969deluxebus

Pressure Plate
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 01:41:41 AM »
when i get a sender for my fuel tank i am takeing my engine out and then we will see if i another is colapsed on me and i will take pics of the tranny. three set ups in a year is not good.
matt street

Offline Bruce

Pressure Plate
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 04:35:56 PM »
I bet you are over extending it.  When your bus was new it had a clutch with coil springs to provide the clamping.  The newer diaphragm spring clutches require less travel to disengage than the original coil spring clutch.  
You can reduce the travel by installing a longer arm on the throw out shaft.  If you can't find one, you could make one by getting 2 of them and cutting and welding them so you get one long one.  Measure to see if you have room first.

Offline 1969deluxebus

Offline mike

Pressure Plate
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 11:20:58 PM »
in the second picture, it looks like your cross shaft arm is bent on the passenger side.  or is it just the picture?

Offline 1969deluxebus

Pressure Plate
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 02:00:24 AM »
just the picture i am leaving it out for few days if any one is going to be in abby that know alot about buses/ Vw  give me a call at 857-2594 in teh next fewdays i am doing the fuel sender to while i have the engine out. I am planning on putting the engine in before tuesday
matt  

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Pressure Plate
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 11:26:59 AM »
I think Mike may be right, Look at the cross shaft in the second pic... The arm on the right side of the pic shows it is on a angle as compared to the rib on the bell housing.
Without seeing it in person it looks like it may not move it in a straight path.

Offline 1969deluxebus

Pressure Plate
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 11:30:49 AM »
i will try to take another pic and post it  so we can see it better. when you look at it it looks straight in person
Matt Street

Offline Bruce

Pressure Plate
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2004, 01:59:29 PM »
It probably looks that way because the camera is not centered to the input shaft, and the arms on the cross shaft will not normally hang straight down.  The tips of the arms will usually be forward of the shaft of the cross shaft.

Check the distance from the ledge where the pressure plate bolts on, to the friction surface.  This should be 21.0mm.  If its within .5mm you are ok.

Offline 1969deluxebus

Pressure Plate
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 03:57:54 AM »
well i did the job!! i put all teh new parts in i checked everything i was told and man i still don't know what went wrong. i now now how much fuel i have thou if any of you guys new bus parts i know of a guy in wa called busco i don't knwo if any of you heard of it but i recommend.very quaity service. So i just haev to adjust teh free play  :wacko:
Matt Street