Author Topic: Oil Pressure?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline blarneyman

Oil Pressure?
« on: July 16, 2007, 05:19:17 PM »
I have, what I believe is a stock 1600 sp. The oil pressure is kind of a worrying me right now. When I start the car, the oil light will stay on for 5 to 10 seconds. If I give it some gas, it will go off sooner. There is an electronic oil pressure gauge in the car, when I start the car the gauge will vibrate between 0 and 10 psi until the light goes out. When running at idle the gauge is showing about 10 psi and running at about 3000 rpm it reads aroun 25 psi.

Yes I have checked the oil level ;)

What should it be running at?
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline Bruce

Oil Pressure?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:46:54 PM »
What does the light do at idle when hot?

My own pressure gauge reads dead zero at idle all the time, but the light is off telling me the gauge is not accurate at low readings.  My oil light never comes on when hot at idle.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Oil Pressure?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 07:15:50 PM »
I have, what I believe is a stock 1600 sp. The oil pressure is kind of a worrying me right now. When I start the car, the oil light will stay on for 5 to 10 seconds. If I give it some gas, it will go off sooner. There is an electronic oil pressure gauge in the car, when I start the car the gauge will vibrate between 0 and 10 psi until the light goes out. When running at idle the gauge is showing about 10 psi and running at about 3000 rpm it reads aroun 25 psi.

Yes I have checked the oil level ;)

What should it be running at?
what weight oil are you using & when was the last time it was changed?

i was under the impression that 10psi per 1000rpm was close to perfect. am i wrong?

every once & awhile (not often) my oil light stays on after a cold start (2-5 seconds) but will go out after a small rev. other than that i do the key on/engine off light check (for charging light & oil light) before every start and my lights never come on when the car is running....hot or cold.

Offline Trevor P

Oil Pressure?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 08:46:11 PM »
Are you running a dual pole sender? If so I woudn't trust it as Bruce made mention of the guage accuracy.
 Mine also does the same (VDO dual pole and VDO guages). Best way to check would be to hook a mechanical guage to take a true reading from the engine at idle when hot. Silas is correct approx. 10psi for every 1000 RPM
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 08:46:23 PM by Trevor P »
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T

Offline blarneyman

Oil Pressure?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 09:24:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'm OK from the comments. Yes, I do have a VDO gauge and dual pole sender. The light never comes on when hot at an idle. I just changed the oil 2 weeks ago with 10w-30, but I'm going to change it again next week (100 mile change after the fuel pump filled the block with gas :( ). I feel at ease now ;)  
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia