Author Topic: How important are these springs?  (Read 2332 times)

Offline kinggeorge13

• Whaddya mean I can't buy more buses?
How important are these springs?
« on: July 30, 2019, 08:23:35 AM »
Hello all.   Finally replacing the front disk pads for my Varga style 2 pin calipers on my 1979 VW Bug.  It became a bigger job than I expected as I also had to replace the rotor and therefore got to do the two sets of bearings/seal/etc but that's not the point of this post today.   As I'm preparing to take out the old very, very, very worn down pads, I see one of these little clips/springs is missing (no it was not me, honest!).  The inside pad on the passenger side has no such spring.  The left hand side caliper (as per my photo below) has both springs.   In looking at it I'd guess it's possibly an anti-rattle spring of some type as the design and way it looks to add spring "pressure" would seemingly have nothing to do with pushing the pads back from the rotor to reduce wear or anything like that. 

It would seem no one sells these little spring clips that look anything like these at places like CIP1 or jbugs, etc.   Even rebuild kits don't come with anything that looks like them.

So are they important?  If just anti-rattle clips, I'll just get along without the one until I come across of worn out calipers at a swap meet or something. 

Thanks!
1975 Westy, Serenity
1975 Westy, Jack Sparrow
1979 Kombi, Pistachio
1979 Kombi, Oliver
1977 Tin top camper, Cosmos
1974 Westy, Garfield
1973 Tin top camper, Bart (now thinking he's 1976)
1974 gutted Riviera, Casper
1975 Westy, Stella
1979 Super Beetle, Penelope
1967 Fastback, Green Hornet