Author Topic: Underside Sandblasting?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline surgerypending

Underside Sandblasting?
« on: November 30, 2004, 08:58:50 PM »
Just digging for ideas here...i'm gonna be blasting the underside of my beetle. Its off the pan and i was wondering if anyone has made a stand or anything which can alow the car to be turned on its side without damaging it. Just looking for some more ideas before i make something of my own...i was thinking welding up something from two engine stands.
Anyway, any ideas are a big help.
Gerry
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline Dave57oval

Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 10:04:09 PM »
I just finished doing that.  I just rolled the car over.  It didn't get any damage.  I put some towels under the side of the car and thats it.    I don't have any doors, fenders, or hood on it.  Just the shell.

Dave

Matt

Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 10:15:52 PM »
I used a rotiserie for a mustang fastback restoration we did at my last shop, pretty basic, with a solid base and two pivots attached to the bumper mounts, You may have to brace up the engine stands so they don't spread apart and can handle more load.  It works in my head anyway!  

Offline surgerypending

Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 06:09:10 PM »
Ya, that sounds good Matt. You don't still have that rotiserie sitting around? :)
Gerry
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Matt

Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 06:17:13 PM »
I wish, it went the way of the 'stang.  

Offline surgerypending

Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 08:30:36 PM »
Matt,
wanna go halfers on making something...then we can swap it back and forth when we need it! I actually like the system  Hansk has.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 08:31:47 PM by surgerypending »

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 08:58:42 PM »
I did a bunch of research on this very topic last year.  Although I haven't made one I did come across a few working ones with pictures.   They were made for type 2's though.  Want me to post the pics?

Mo
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline Chris

• Car.
Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 09:03:02 PM »
I did a bunch of research on this very topic last year.  Although I haven't made one I did come across a few working ones with pictures.   They were made for type 2's though.  Want me to post the pics?

Mo
What?! We have to ask now , F%^K ME !!!

Matt

Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 09:22:25 PM »
Definetly post the picts there Mowser. I'm not too interested in a rotisserie as I am not to sure how many more full on resto's I want to undertake. Thanks for the offer though.

Speak up Hans, what kind of stand do you have?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 09:23:24 PM by Matt »

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 09:35:25 PM »
I knew it was going to come to this .... I was just buying enough time for me to upload a new webpage to my site..... here ya go.....

Rotiserrie Pics
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline Chris

• Car.
Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 09:37:17 PM »
ummmmm yummmy! BBQ pickup!

Offline Mowser

Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 09:40:04 PM »
You can see from the pics this guy wanted it to so he could take it apart and store it.  The design I have in mind would have seperate attachments for the various VW related body formats and a setup for stopping the vehicle at about every 10 degrees for ease of working on.
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline surgerypending

Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 04:52:08 PM »
Thats pretty cool but i think there is an easier way.....two huge half circles (pipe) with a low brace welded  across  which bolts to the heater chanels allowing the car to be rolled on its side. Also easily stored when finished......just where to get the pipe and where to get it bent?
Gerry

Offline Mowser

Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 06:12:19 PM »
Is this sort of what you are talking about ?????

roll a bus
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline surgerypending

Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 06:17:07 PM »
Yes, sort of

Offline Hansk

Underside Sandblasting?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 11:15:41 PM »
Hey Guys , sorry for the delay.  Don't know how I missed this one.
Anyway,  mine is very close to that last one only as a full round circle. But I kind of like the idea of the multiple sides , easy to make at home and let's you stop it where you need to. But then mine is easy to stop anywhere too with a block of wood .  Also with it being round , if you put a piece of pipe on the floor then roll the hoops up to it you can in effect roll the vehicle on the spot rather than have it travel across your shop.
I had my two done at a big industrial tube bending place in Langley.(cant remember the name, there's a few out there) About $150 including materials 10 years ago . Thats for two 7 ft dia. full circle hoops . If I were to do it again I'd only have one made then cut it in half because I don't think I've ever gone past half way around .  I made up and welded on my own brackets .
Gerry , I can imagine exactly what your thinking, a flat bar across the bottom for the body to sit on. Either the heater chanels or the bumper brackets . Or , with the pan on , bolt it on to the trany frame horns and where the beam goes.
Sorry , no pics but your all welcome to stop in and have a look.
Big fat black fastback