Author Topic: Oil pump case leaking oil  (Read 2641 times)

Offline vridaw

Oil pump case leaking oil
« on: June 09, 2013, 01:53:53 PM »
Hey guys,

I have a 1200cc 63' bug and I have a leak at the case of the oil pump and the oil is somehow traveling up through to the driving belt and it is spraying it every so slightly all over the motor. Very annoying.

I don't have any experience or knowledge on how to do this. So I am looking for some local help and have some questions :)

1) Where can I find the Oil Pump Gasket and the Cover Gasket as well? CIP1 seems to only carry 1500cc and up.
2) What tools would I need to get this going? From the research I've done, it seems the pulley needs to come out for me to get the oil pump out.
3) Anyone here have experience doing this job? I am thinking it can't be that hard, but just looking for someone to bounce off questions as they pop up.

Any tips or insight is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Offline josh

Re: Oil pump case leaking oil
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:46:42 PM »
Are you sure it's coming from the pump? Usually the crank pulley that's puking....

If it is the pump gasket it's not all that hard to remove pump...you may have to loosen the couple case bolts around the pump to get it out
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline vridaw

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »
Well now that you mention that I am not sure anymore..

It makes more sense that it's the crank pulley as a lot of oil is near that area.

What does that actually mean if it is the crank pulley though?

Offline josh

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:01:38 PM »
Could be a bunch of stuff....if it was fine before and just started then its probably a ring sealing problem creating excess crankcase pressure/blowby.

Stroker motors usually need some external breather box to handle venting pressure caused by the big counterweights swinging around but on a 1200 there is no need for all that

55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Cameron

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 12:14:22 PM »
Could be a bunch of stuff....if it was fine before and just started then its probably a ring sealing problem creating excess crankcase pressure/blowby.

Stroker motors usually need some external breather box to handle venting pressure caused by the big counterweights swinging around but on a 1200 there is no need for all that

I agree with Josh. When the piston rings start to go away, you get oil blowing out from behind the pulley.
Do a compression or leak down test.

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline vridaw

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »
Do you guys know any mechanics out in Burnaby that could help? I just spend a bunch of money for a shop to basically tell me nothing useful.

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 03:47:33 PM »
I admit to not knowing anything on motor internals... but if it's the seal that's leaking, is it crank wear that's having the seal push out and causing the leak? A new seal would only solve the problem temporarily unless the crank wear is dealt with too?
brian waz

Offline 52 split

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »
well there is no pulley seal on a t1 motor only a metal oil slinger, you can machine a seal there, some times called a sand seal,a t4 mtor does have a crank pulley seal. blow by is the first to check do a compression check, with all plugs out when its done. should be over 100psi on all and within 10% of each cylinder + -.you could add extra venting at the valve covers for a short time.

Offline vridaw

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 08:58:20 PM »
Ok so I did one cylinder at a time. And the last one I did was 90psi (Cylinder #3) - the rest were all 100psi on the dot...

I am guessing anything under 100psi is a bad sign?

Offline 52 split

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 11:07:10 PM »
well others have there way , but if you did the test dry , now do it with a shot of oil down the cylinder, if the comp goes up you have worn rings or a broken one. if it does not go up you need valve work. a leak down tester is better but this gets you in the ball park. 90 psi is getting down there.

Offline vridaw

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 03:08:56 PM »
Did a shot of 10cc oil and same result 90psi.

I removed all the engine tin I could, and took it for a quick 10 min ride to see where oil is coming from. And I just noticed its really bad from the dipstick.

Guess that is a sure sign of blowby?

Sigh

Offline vridaw

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »
Something I just remembered. Before this all happened and the car was running fine, I had tightened the oil filler cap because I thought it would be a good idea...not realizing that it could presurize the inside of the motor.

Have I just screwed myself over? Could that have caused the piston rings to break?

Offline 52 split

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 10:14:58 PM »
no the motor does not have a oil cap vent. the stock motor vents through the tube on the oil fill stand, later models went up to the air cleaner as well. add valve cover vents and see what happens. cip1 has a deal on cylinders sets 20%off  under $120 bucks.

Offline vridaw

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 10:57:08 PM »
My motor actually has an after market oil filler - and it has a vent on there but I guess it wasn't enough?

I loosened the oil filler quite a lot, and now its running fine again, no oil leak inside the engine bay!

Lesson learned, if it ain't broke - don't dare touch it :/

Offline buddy boy

• Marked for life
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 11:51:26 PM »
Your just masking the problem,  100psi or under and its time for a rebuild.

"only dead fish swim with the stream"