Author Topic: Center bore Machining?  (Read 2518 times)

Offline LateBaySteve

• "Back in the Red Dog Saloon days, there was a sympathetic super mechanic named Muldoon"
Center bore Machining?
« on: March 27, 2014, 11:07:31 PM »
Question #1:
Hey guys, I have some Eurovan wheels that I'd like to put on my baywindow. The ones for the front have to have the center bore enlarged. I'm in Langley. Is there a local(ish) shop that you'd recommend I take them to for this service. Or someone from the forum who can do a quality job? And what should I expect to pay?
Is this even recommended?
I saw that one of the guys (Hansk is it?) posted in the bay-curious section that he just did this himself, but is now concerned about balancing.

Question #2
Geoff mentioned the option to go with 15" Merc wheels. I have found a set of those I could buy, but I'm a little intimidated by figuring out what lug nuts to use / if I have to change the studs. I think the Merc wheels are the so-called "8-hole". They are the ones with the horizontal ovalish holes by the lip, almost like the "phone dials". Anyway, I believe the baywindow studs are M14 and the Mercs are M12. Is there lugnut that is compatible with the stock M14 studs and the smaller ball-seat of the Merc wheel? If not, should I be able to change he studs myself?

Question #3
Am I posting this in the appropriate place? I didn't want to make it a response to Hansk because that is a tread about showcasing ones bus and I didn't want to muddy it with a tech question.
Or should it go somewhere else in Bay-cuios-land? I figured the bore machining question was something the beetle guys would know too, so I put it here. Thanks for the advice!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:12:40 PM by LateBaySteve »
'58 Dove Blue Bus (awaiting papers)
'71 parts Bus
'72 tin top Bus (soon for sale)
'74 tin top Bus rust bucket
'75 Westfalia (awaiting papers)
'77 project Bus
'77 parts Bus
'78 Westfalia (awaiting papers)