Author Topic: Paper gaskets question. Thanks  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Paper gaskets question. Thanks
« on: February 15, 2014, 12:04:35 PM »
I have a 59 split case transmission.  I rebuilt it with new seals and gaskets.  In the picture below I still have leaking coming out right in bettween the paper gaskets.  I know they are used as a spacer also I think. But I am wondering if it's a good idea to not use them and just use liquid gasket instead. 

By the way a side question.  I had some oil coming out of the dust boot covers also.  Just wondering if that means the Ruber O ring inside needs to be redone again or if it's suppose to have oil in the boot.  Because I did tighten up the boot strap and it stopped.  But need to know if that's normal.   Thanks everyone.   I'll tell you I'm getting close to knowing everything about these vw pretty quick this way. 
70 tintop kombi.  "Never 4 Sale!!!!"

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: Paper gaskets question. Thanks
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 12:10:12 PM »
Gaskets

Offline beetleman

• steve
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 01:48:53 PM »
I use gaskets and the right stuff silicone ,and no leaks....
63 bug 63 rag

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 01:56:32 PM »
So I bettween each gasket

Offline Bruce

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 06:46:57 PM »
  I know they are used as a spacer also I think. But I am wondering if it's a good idea to not use them and just use liquid gasket instead. 
You can't delete those gaskets, they provide clearance for the bell end of the axle tube.  Without them the axle tube will bind and not be able to articulate.
Likely the sheet metal flange is distorted at each bolt hole from someone overtightening the nuts.  I recommend trying to flatten these areas first.  Then after you mock up the gasket stack to find the minimum amount of gaskets that provide free movement, take it all apart and use your favourite sealant on both sides of each gasket.  Then make sure you stick to the factory torque spec on the nuts.

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 08:09:09 AM »
Thanks works great now. Kinda cool how I could adjust the split trans and adjust the gears on them so they shift smooth and without the odd popping out of gear too.  Never knew it was possible.  Guess it pays to read the books.   Thanks again airspeed

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »
Bruce is dead on .
but paper gaskets in the end absorb oils -- i would spray them with a groduct called high tack its a red spray but whats nice it will soak into the paper and stop alot of oil wicking through the paper

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp