Author Topic: Hep I'M stuck  (Read 2457 times)

Offline BOINK

Hep I'M stuck
« on: July 06, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
OK I went to aircare to licence my 74 beetle and it got stuck in 3rd gear' so I drove it home and read up on what to do [also asked at AVR] it is not hockeysticked so I pulled all the guts out,and it seems that the shifter leaver is stuck the gears seem to slide easily.The shifter rod is stuck and I can't get it out.I'm thiking that there is a stopper in there that it is binding on or it's bent.I can't see any allen screws or anything in there but seems to have a stopper pressed in,my first thought was to drill and tap but then I thought I would ask people with wisdom

THANX
                         LANCE
Proud owner of a rusty rag

Offline Hansk

Re: Hep I'M stuck
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 10:34:22 PM »
Sorry , are you talking about the shift rod in the tunnel stuck or you have the trans out now and the hockey stick is stuck in the nose cone ?
Big fat black fastback

Offline BOINK

Re: Hep I'M stuck
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 08:22:40 PM »
Ok I pulled the motor pulled the tranny ripped it down it seem the 1st to 2nd shifting rod was stiff or siezed,when I pulled out rev rod slid easy 3to4 rod easy 1to2 was stuck all stoppers were removed.Gears all slid easy by hand when I put it back together for the third time everything moved  pretty easy but after a little while 5 to 10 minutes of driving it felt a little stiff going into 1 or 2.The tran was not hot to the touch.The only thimg I can think of at this point is the stoppers had alittle bit of a flat spot on them could this possibly causing it to although I did remove most of the flat spot.
Proud owner of a rusty rag