Author Topic: Shift rod  (Read 3359 times)

Offline dwvw

Shift rod
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:04:33 PM »
Getting ready to put my shift rod back in. The car has been apart for about 5 years and I remember the shifting not being great, but not really having trouble finding any gears or staying in gear.Anyways the shift rod has a slight bend in it, should I bother to try and straighten it if I wasn't having problems, and if I do straighten it, will giving it a few good whacks with a rubber mallet do the trick?

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: Shift rod
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 10:53:42 PM »
The bend is correct do not straighten it!!!!!

some diff shift rods shown below, both have slight bends.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:02:45 PM by Geoff »

Offline Hansk

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:55:33 PM »
I don't think they are supposed to be straight. But now that its out, be sure to change your bushing.
And welcome to ASF.
Big fat black fastback

Offline dwvw

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 03:29:47 PM »
Thanks guys, mine looks just like the bottom one in the first picture.

Offline dwvw

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:48:07 PM »
OK, got sidetracked and am just now getting around to putting this thing in. Now does anyone have any tips, went out last night and tried to get it together, and the metal circlip is too tight to let me get the shift rod through the new bushing. It seems like I would need to expand the circlip with some bent needle nose pliers or something to get it started through the bushing, but there's no space in the tunnel to do anything easy.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »
If yours is as rusty as the bottom one, I'd get another one.  At the least, you must sand off all that rust.  Inspect the whole length of the rod for nicks or corrosion that could tear up the bushing on installation.

Do not unbend the clip.  It's supposed to be tight.  Take the clip and put it around the bushing.  It goes between the narrow deep groove for the hanger, and the flange that is at the forward end of the bushing.  

Install the bushing in the bracket with the gap facing the left side of the tunnel.  Put some grease in the ID of the bushing.

Grease up the entire length of the shift rod.  Insert it from the front.  If you have a helper, get them to guide the tail end of the shift rod into the bushing while you push it in from the front.  Initially it will take a fair amount of force to get the wire clip to expand enough to allow the shift rod to go through.  I used a wood broom handle through all the holes up front to push on the shift rod once the tail was aimed right.  Once you get it started, you're home free.  From then, all you need to worry about is making sure it clears all the tubes in the tunnel.  When it's in it's final location, make sure there's plenty of grease in and around it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:22:41 PM by Bruce »

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »
Bruce apparently likes it when you grease up the rod....

Offline dwvw

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 10:01:34 AM »
The rod is in very good shape, when I pulled it I wrapped it and stored it up off the floor. Maybe I just need another person to help, as I was trying to do this by myself.