Author Topic: urethane trany mounts any good?  (Read 3775 times)

Offline mcbeese

urethane trany mounts any good?
« on: July 27, 2011, 09:53:37 AM »
Just dropped my trany and the trany mounts in my Manx just fell out in pieses all dried up and brittle. My Question: Are the urethane mounts that much better than the rubber. (I know all the chinese rubber these days isn't the greatest, My axel boots lasted 6 months before I had to change them)

:()

Offline Bruce

Re: urethane trany mounts any good?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:02:45 PM »
Urethane mounts are a lot stiffer than rubber, so they help control wheel hop better.  But they are much noisier.  I'd say half the noise of solid steel mounts.  In a Manx, you will probably be ok with urethane mounts since it's gonna be noisy whatever you do.
Only buy German or genuine VW axle boots.  All the boots on all my cars are originals, installed by VW when they made the car.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »
Urethane mounts are a lot stiffer than rubber, so they help control wheel hop better.  But they are much noisier.  I'd say half the noise of solid steel mounts.  In a Manx, you will probably be ok with urethane mounts since it's gonna be noisy whatever you do.
Only buy German or genuine VW axle boots.  All the boots on all my cars are originals, installed by VW when they made the car.

As far as axle boots go, Not one sold by our VW parts stores are of good quality! The ones i put on my Manx fell to peices after 8 months (only 1 month of driving) I've asked around and all the ones sold by VW shops fall apart besides the ugly EMPI ones....

Now, If you want a good quality stock looking bolt together boot call Lordco, they have the best quality neopreen boot I've found. I talked to Steveo about them and he confirms they are of very good long lasting quality!

They are now on my Manx and will soon be on all my SA cars!

Offline mcbeese

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:21:43 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for your input

Offline Bruce

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:57:58 PM »
For swing axle, you can get genuine VW seamless axle boots.  They're good.

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 09:04:55 PM »
i have had horrible luck with urethane tranny mounts, tore them in my street bug, tore them in my scirocco
went solid mounts in the street bug and they held up, if you dont mind the noise..in the scirocco,went with german rubber with a higher than stock durometer rating and love them.

not sure about the air cooled mounts, but all rubber mounts are not created equal, some of the india/china/mexico mounts for the water cooled cars are like black jello

Offline vwguy

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 08:47:04 PM »
Only use the O E M VW boots, I know you spend a little more but it is well worth the extra money, the cheap  boots turn to Gel after a short time, the problem only gets worse with Syn lube.