Author Topic: Question About A Club.  (Read 8835 times)

Offline AirCooledRules

Question About A Club.
« on: April 07, 2007, 09:11:24 PM »
If one were to start a club, wether it be a painting club or a book club or car club. Is there somewhere you would register this to make it official ?

Basically is there a place to register a club so that it cannot be copied?
1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
1998 Audi A6

Offline Chris

• Car.
Question About A Club.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 09:15:39 PM »
register the name as a trademark

Offline AirCooledRules

Question About A Club.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:23:09 PM »
so i guess thats pretty much as simple as that.

the DVKK or DVGLK didnt go through any procedures to secure their clubs ?
1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1998 Audi A6

Offline Chris

• Car.
Question About A Club.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 11:11:08 PM »
Thats DGLVK.

I think this is what your looking for http://www.osoinc.com/OSOForms/sportclubre...ration_2006.pdf

Otherwise you must register as a business or non-profit organization. Each of which require you te register partners and to file tax returns and pay taxes.

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
Question About A Club.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 02:36:01 AM »
Thats DGLVK.

I think this is what your looking for http://www.osoinc.com/OSOForms/sportclubre...ration_2006.pdf

Otherwise you must register as a business or non-profit organization. Each of which require you te register partners and to file tax returns and pay taxes.

I am not a DGLVK member.

FYI

Things to keep on mind:

1-You would need to ensure that no other legal entity (as a business, or otherwise) have the desired name regardless of whether it has been established as the trademark or not. In the event that you pick a name and somebody decides to get the trademark for that name after the fact, your history may somewhat provide the precedent and protect you from civil matters.

2-If you decide to register, I would imagine it would be like creating a legal entity (just like a person could be subject to tax, criminal and civil matters in it own right.) Legal entities have to files Rules of association and elect a Board of Governors etc. Those elected officials them become responsible for the actions of such entity to its membership as well as governing bodies and are subject to criminal and civil liabilities on behalf of the entity for up to a year after they ceased their service term.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 02:41:08 AM by egspot »

Matt

Question About A Club.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 08:51:56 AM »
They're car clubs, not Fortune 500 companys. They are suppose to be a fun hobby, its the politics like that where you will never see me a member of a car club again.

Perhaps Jacob wants to start his version of the DVKK? look out for hostile takeovers :lol:  

Offline AirCooledRules

Question About A Club.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
Definetly not even try to compete with the DVKK =)

1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1998 Audi A6

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Question About A Club.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 12:23:52 PM »
jakub allready has a club...it's called the jhc.

Crank

Question About A Club.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 01:56:21 PM »
I am not a member of the DVKK but...

I have a not for profit association legally registered, and it was very simple.

If you want a legal entity...
Search out and register the name and the business as a not for profit.
List the people in charge, and their positions. (eg: CEO COO.
Yes you will have to deal with taxes, but if it is not making money then Nil tax returns are all that should be required.

As far as car clubs I imagine this is the same.
Personally I agree with Matt and prefer a casual, lax atmosphere... meet, have a coffee, shoot the breeze and have a network of like enthusiasts to swap parts and experience. Too many rules and regulations ruined it for me in the past too. Things like, your car has to be this, or do that, you have to attend every event/meeting etc. But this works for some people and it is just what they want to be involved in, for others... it's too much work.

BTW, is ther a casual club in the Vancouver area? If not, maybe there should be.

Cheers,
Joel
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 04:39:44 PM by Crank »

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
Question About A Club.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 03:16:21 PM »
They're car clubs, not Fortune 500 companys. They are suppose to be a fun hobby, its the politics like that where you will never see me a member of a car club again.

Perhaps Jacob wants to start his version of the DVKK? look out for hostile takeovers :lol:

I agree with Matt as I have too many structured meetings for other things in my life.

I probably would enjoy a relaxed VW club. I would prefer the social type end the exchange of ideas and so on. More like short trips, coffee gatherings, swap meets etc.

Offline AirCooledRules

Question About A Club.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 04:50:07 PM »
jakub allready has a club...it's called the jhc.
Its not MY club.

There is no casual club in BC, not for aircooled or watercooled. There are forums but no groups other then DVKK DGLVK AND Victoria VW Club. i think thats it.

I do not want to start a casual club, something else actually.
1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1998 Audi A6

Offline Chris

• Car.
Question About A Club.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 04:55:35 PM »
Is this a prelude to a Kaferkraft reunion?

Offline AirCooledRules

Question About A Club.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 11:48:00 PM »
Not even close.

its not to that effect. Its going to be something that isnt available anywhere in North America yet.

It will start out as not much, with big potential (if i can make it work)

Ill post when its running.
1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1998 Audi A6

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Question About A Club.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 11:47:28 AM »
NAMBLA's already been done...   ;)  
Jason Hamilton

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Question About A Club.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 06:42:40 PM »
NAMBLA's already been done...   ;)
had to google search that one.

lmmfao.

Offline amishrabbi

• http://
Question About A Club.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 07:41:19 PM »

I agree with Matt as I have too many structured meetings for other things in my life.

I probably would enjoy a relaxed VW club. I would prefer the social type end the exchange of ideas and so on. More like short trips, coffee gatherings, swap meets etc.
imo you dont need a club for those type of things, just post it on the bored here and you are good to go

only point i really see to a casual club is stickers

and after writing all that i just realized im a member of a casual vw club.... oops
1963 Beetle, 2017cc Stroker

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
Question About A Club.
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 07:59:41 PM »
They're car clubs, not Fortune 500 companys.
ROFLMFAO......Now that's funny  :lol:  
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline kirin

Question About A Club.
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 10:04:26 PM »
Theres actual local car clubs? :rolleyes:  
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Chris

• Car.
Question About A Club.
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 10:33:04 PM »
Theres actual local car clubs? :rolleyes:
Whats that supposed to mean?

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Question About A Club.
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 10:54:26 PM »
Whats that supposed to mean?
yeah no kidding jackass, who do you think puts on the fantastic car shows that you attend every frickin year.  You really outta think before you type.  People are gonna start calling you Jakub.
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline kirin

Question About A Club.
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 10:59:50 PM »
Before you guys all grab pitchforks and fly off the handle(Completly predictable I might add) and call people names take a deep breath and read on.

The DGLVK is great and the DVKK is great. I appreciate their efforts and thank them for it. However having a local club that would include everyone whether they have stock cars, race cars etc would be great. Also if it could have a actual club format, regular meetings etc that would be spectacular. The mainland is completly lacking a organized VW club compared to Victoria. I think we are missing out having a group that INCLUDES absolutly everyone. I would make an attempt to start one, however the politics and lack of time stops me.

Was that so hard to swallow?

So next time before you guys freak out. Take a deep breath and take words with a grain of salt before you call people a jackass.

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Question About A Club.
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 11:10:03 PM »
That was taken with a grain of salt, you should have put that in your first comment if you didn't want people to respond that way.  Think about it Kirin, what you posted was asking for someone to call you that or worse.  Remember I'm not a member of either of those clubs either or even on the lower mainland. I still found your comment offensive.  I appreciate everything those clubs do for the VW community and what you \"didn't\" say is more than enough for someone to take the wrong way and be offended.

That make sense?  Hope so.
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline kirin

Question About A Club.
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 11:20:42 PM »
Mowser it doesn't matter whether or not I wanted you guys to respond in that way or not. You still did. You may of found my comment to be offensive however don't you think your response is equally if not more so offensive? Yes it was bait and yes you guys most certainly took it. That fact in itself seems to be a matter that is continuously coming up on this forum more and more...  

Does anybody else know if the other clubs in the province other then the Victoria VW club are actually registered? This is mere curiousity on my part.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:21:31 PM by kirin »

Offline Chris

• Car.
Question About A Club.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 11:21:16 PM »
Kirin, Im sorry but you must be talking from your ass again.

The DGLVK consists of the following members and cars.

James -  66 Beetle - Street Strip Combo
Danny - 63 Beetle - Street Strip Combo (Im pretty sure its 63)
Jason - More \"projects\" than running cars
Simone - Stock Beetle, sorry I cant remember what year
Mike - 66 Squareback - Stock
Chris - 61 Beetle - Street mostly Strip combo.

Seems pretty balanced, we try to meet once a month and do other not vw things when we can.

A club that includes \"Absolutely Everyone\" really isnt a club. Its everyone. A rough definition of club is a formal association of people with similar interests, not everyone.

If everyone was involved in a \"club\" as you put it what would they do?

Before you guys all grab pitchforks and fly off the handle(Completly predictable I might add) and call people names take a deep breath and read on.

This statement really shows your poor ability to communicate as well as spell. I think you need to learn some tact, maybe you just need to think before you speak, or type, whatever the case might be. You make offensive statements and then say our responses are completly (note your incorrect spelling) predictable.

Its amazing just how \"unorganized\" the DGLVK is. How do we get 100 cars in the same spot at the same time for a mutual purpose? How do we do that?

Why dont you go start up KaferKraft again and see how that works out, see how many people show up to your scheduled monthly meetings with your actual club format. No wonder people have no problem blowing you off and laughing at you.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:22:02 PM by VWChris »

Offline Chris

• Car.
Question About A Club.
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 11:24:22 PM »
Mowser it doesn't matter whether or not I wanted you guys to respond in that way or not. You still did. You may of found my comment to be offensive however don't you think your response is equally if not more so offensive? Yes it was bait and yes you guys most certainly took it. That fact in itself seems to be a matter that is continuously coming up on this forum more and more...  

Does anybody else know if the other clubs in the province other then the Victoria VW club are actually registered? This is mere curiousity on my part.
Bait, your an ass. A complete total ass.

BTW what fricken difference does it make whether a club is registered? Who did they register with? The YMCA?  

Offline Mowser

Question About A Club.
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »

Dude you just keep on \"baiting us\" as you put it.  I'll keep taking it but in reality all I was doing was defending my VW community, my friends, and my beliefs.  Yes I agree it is coming up more and more frequently and you know what else.  It's all coming from the same few guys.  

Just keep on putting your foot in your mouth and myself, Chris, and many more will most certainly continue to make you swallow.

From what I'm seeing on Chris' post it would seem that there is a club that \"includes everyone stock, race ....\"  Do some research before you start commenting.  People tend to choke on shoe laces.
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline kirin

Question About A Club.
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2007, 11:38:29 PM »
Actually Chris by definition a club is(or at least according to dictionary.com) \"a group of persons organized for a social, literary, athletic, political, or other purpose\". My own club experience comes from the Victoria VW club. From there I see is a organization of people that everyone is invited out to. They hold regular meetings, have their own forum, have their own show, have their own president... etc. The DGLVK and the Victoria VW club are two ways to fill the same needs differently. Neither is better.

I'm not going to make any excuses for my statements or my spelling. But how about this. I don't go off and call people names. Its a small local community and when you think about it the chances that you might run into someone at a VW show that you know online are pretty if not extrodinarily high. I don't go calling people Jackasses. And you and Mowser and everyone else should know if you have a problem with someone deal with it like an adult and take it up in private. Whether its me or Stephan, people have taken it upon themselves to take their issues up in public. Yes my statement was offensive depending on how you took it. Mowser calling me a jackass is also offensive.

I never said the DGLVK was unorganized. Think about this Chris, if we as a Volkswagen community and a group of organized individuals all came together and had everybody join as one. Do you know how much we could do as a Mainland group? And you know what Chris I never heard anything of anybody laughing at me.  If someone is, I really couldn't care less. The joke is indeed on them. However I will say I find it quite strange that group of 6 people can call themselves a club yet argue with someone over the fact that something or an organization that includes everyone isn't considered a club. I can't quite understand that I know I haven't been the first or the last person to wonder about that over the years.

Agree with me or not I really could care less. Honestly if anybody EVER has a serious problem with me take it up in private.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:42:50 PM by kirin »

Offline dannyboy

Question About A Club.
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 11:49:45 PM »
i think the problem with casual clubs, is *sometimes* there is a core group of people that do all the work, while other *members* just sort of loaf along.....
having a stricter entrance into the club allows clubs (like the dglvk) allows us to find the people that REALLY want to be in the club and help out

Offline Chris

• Car.
Question About A Club.
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2007, 11:50:47 PM »
It is not my club that is arguing the point of a club or its definition, it is myself. Our club consists of 6 members, they of course are all entitled to there own opinions.

I said a club that includes \"Absolutely Everyone\" really isnt a club. Its everyone. A rough definition of club is a formal association of people with similar interests, not everyone. How does this differ from your definition?

You really need to think before you respond. Your not as smart as you think you are.

And not everyone in Victoria that is in to VW's is in the VVWC. I am quite positive of that fact.

Offline kirin

Question About A Club.
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2007, 11:53:04 PM »
Fair enough Dannyboy I can understand and support that. Anybody that's been involved in a group project can tell you about \"Social Loafing\". That being said there has to be something positive that can be brought from this thread. The expenditure of energy in this disagreement should be used on something actually productive like working on my beetle or helping a club out.