Author Topic: Proper Metalworking Steps  (Read 1484 times)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Proper Metalworking Steps
« on: December 22, 2003, 11:21:18 AM »
i'm getting ready to do the metalwork on my beetle and had a question about the order in which to do things.

i live in the wetness that is vancouver and work in a non-heated, poorly insulated garage. i am worried about rust forming on the new welded areas and exposed metal of the new parts if i.....

1- sandblast car to bare metal, etch prime, weld in new parts (roloc or sand primer off area to create clean welding surface), leave new welds and exposed metal while moving on to other work. my worry is that rust will form on exposed areas and i'll just have to get the whole car blasted and primed again.

2- start work on car, roloc or sand areas that need to be welded, weld in new parts, brush on some sort of rust/metal protector, continue welding knowing that new parts are protected, when all metal work is done, blast car to bare metal and etch prime.

the metal work will take a long time because a-there is alot of rust and b-i'm a beginner welder. this is why i am so concerned about rust.  

i appreciate the help.

Matt

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 02:46:36 PM »
IMHO, I would start with option 1. this will give you a great starting point as sandblasting will find alot of hidden rust. after you weld in new metal and grind down the welds, prime it immediately with etch prime and your good to go. option 2 will also work for you, but you might miss some rust. If you want to be totally anal about it you could always have it dipped, do the metal work not worrying about rust, then have it dipped again. I cant remeber what the exact process is but it is dipped in a chemical that coats the metal, protecting it from rust, then epoxy primed, then what ever filler work is needed. The last shop I was at did this to a 69 COPO Camaro with great results but I think it costed around 5G's.

Matt

Offline silas

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 03:37:04 PM »
hey matt, i was leaning towards 1 aswell because of the fact that the car will be \"exposed\" and i'll be able to spot and fix any imperfections right away. and also that is the way i have been told is the right way.

after welding and grinding welds, is there an etch primer that is an off the shelf spray bomb? i am sans gun, what are the options that you know of.

thanks you for your help.

Matt

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 04:00:43 PM »
go to Lordco, they have an etch prime in spray bomb made by Pro-form. runs about 10 bucks a can. Actually any parts store or body shop supplier will carry this or something very similar.

Matt

Offline silas

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 12:24:28 AM »
thanks for the help!