Author Topic: Mig Welders And Bodywork  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Chris

• Car.
Mig Welders And Bodywork
« on: February 10, 2004, 05:16:46 PM »
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the minumum and/or maximum size/power I need in a mig welder to do some bodywork on my beetle. I am going to buy one but want to make sure that I am getting the right thing.  :rockon:

Thanks

Chris

Matt

Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 08:14:21 PM »
I Have a Miller 135. runs on standard 110 house power and will weld up to 1/4\".  Unless you plan on doing some serious structural welding, you don't need more than that. The unit I have runs about $1000, with bottle, regulators and necessary accesories. You can get cheaper ones, but the Miller, in my opinion is the best on the market.  

Offline Bruce

Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 01:55:42 AM »
I've got a baby Miller too.  I think I paid over a G back in the late 80s once I got the bottle, fill, reg, helmet, gloves, spool, and other sundries.  Mine says its good to 3/16\", but it has trouble doing 1/8\".  Mine's rated at 70A.  When you are shopping for welders you will notice they all have a number in the model name.  Just like Matt's above.  This number is MEANINGLESS!  Most unsuspecting buyers think that's the max amperage rating, its not.  Matt's welder is rated at 90A, I've seen them at the stores.  You have to look at the fine print on the front to find the max amperage rating.  Even though Matt's welder claims to be able to do 1/4\", it can't.  90A ain't enough.  But there's not much on a Bug that is 1/4\" thick.

Matt

Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 06:46:08 PM »
If it claims it can, it don't mean it can. I wouldn't attempt to weld 1/4\" with my welder at home.  

Offline Chris

• Car.
Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 09:00:26 PM »
so what welder would you suggest for someone who is trying to not spend there life savings. Just going to use for some bodywork and odds and ends. Not building a skycraper!

Matt

Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 09:28:02 PM »
so what welder would you suggest for someone who is trying to not spend there life savings. Just going to use for some bodywork and odds and ends. Not building a skycraper!
best bet is to shop around. KMS tools has a whack of welders, and a welding station you can try them out in. Very knowledgeable staff. I'd start there. Get the best you can afford.  

Offline James Buchan

Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 12:20:37 AM »
What about a used one?

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 12:49:27 AM »
here's my $.02

i just bought myself a welder for christmas. i asked alot of questions on forums and to friends, and called stores to find out as much as possible. all the info was a bit overwhelming, but i kept it all in check, and made a final decision that i am very happy with.

i wanted a wire feed mig welder that i could plug into the socket in my garage(110v) and learn to do metal working on my vw with.

i went to three stores. the home depot, acklands grainger and kms tools.

i looked at three different welders. lincoln 135, hobart handler 135 and the miller millermatic 135.

all claim to weld up to 3/16\" metal.

lincoln came with machine, gun, work clamp and line, sample spool and tip and crappy hand-held hemet. 3 year warranty. $500. +$80-$100 for regulator.

hobart came with machine, gun, work clamp and line, sample spool and tip and regulator. 5 year warranty. $750.

miller came with machine, gun, work clamp and line, sample spool and tip and regulator. 3 year warranty. $850.

the lincoln had 4 variable wire speed selections and 4 variable voltage selections.

the hobart had 4 fixed wire speed selections and 10 (?i think) fixed voltage selections.

the miller had 10 variable wire speed selections and 10 variable voltage selections.

the miller has an internal wire feed mechanism that is made from stainless steel (for strength) as opposed to the lincoln and hobarts plastic internals.

i figured i may as well make this investment worth it, pay an extra $200 (which isnt that much when it comes down to it) and buy the strongest, best made machine. cry once.

after buying a bottle, getting it filled with c25 (75%argon, 25% co2), buying a helmet, 10lb spool of wire, 5 extra tips, 2 pairs of gloves, and an extra visor (lighter shade), my bill came to under $1400. which sounds like alot of coin. but shit, i got the most bang for my buck, and i am one frikkin happy camper. (check my avitar). i'm no pro, but i'm learning quickly, and it helps to have a quality machine.

take matts advice and go to kms tools in coquitlam. talk with the guys there, look at the welders and try them out. go to home depot and pull one out of the box, and spend a good amount of time looking over the machine.

always ask tons of questions and find out all you need to know, and have fun. good luck.

Offline Chris

• Car.
Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 07:34:04 AM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I am not opposed to buying a used one, as long as it is not a total piece of crap. Now the next question, I have done some mig welding in the past with and without gas, and I think I did a good job with both, what is the best route when it comes to doing body work? What are the differences?

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 10:51:20 AM »
the miller 135 has the option of gas or no gas. i'm not to sure about gasless (fluxcore) welding. i know that everyone i have talked to uses gas, and i hooked up gas right away and dont plan on going back. i'm pretty sure that argon is a shielding gas and that it protects the weld when welding and provides a cleaner weld.

Matt

Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 06:34:04 PM »
Lookie there... I stand corrected :blush:  I just check out my machine and Silas is right. Weld up to 3/16\". I dunno where I saw 1/4\"....

Go with the gas, I have done both and find you have a much nicer weld with the gas.  

Billyisgr8

Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 07:30:16 PM »
You will save up to $200.00 buying in the states and shipping to Hagens in Blaine( they charge $5.00 for items over 50 pounds and $3.00 for anything under 50 pounds.

It may be worth it.  My total bill including taxes for a lincoln 175 plus, with aluminum conversion, gas regulator spare roll of wire, extra 6 tips, a cheap self darkening solar helmet, and clamp...came to $ 1099.00 cdn ( including border taxes)  just before christmas.  I had to wait in a 3 minute border line-up both ways......HINT (Go at 1:00 any weekday and you will at most have 6 cars infront of you).

For me it was a toss up between the lincoln and the miller...Lincoln won out as it will go down to 25 amps for really thin stuff, and it is infinitly variable on amperage and wire feed.  The miller goes down to 40 amps but has the steel wirefeed wheel.

Kevin

Matt

Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2004, 08:24:26 PM »
That's a really good price. Is your Aluminium conversion a spool gun? they usually pretty damn expensize by themselves....I think the last spool gun I saw advertized was on sale for 1400 ish....

Billyisgr8

Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 09:04:46 PM »
That's a really good price. Is your Aluminium conversion a spool gun? they usually pretty damn expensize by themselves....I think the last spool gun I saw advertized was on sale for 1400 ish....
nope... just a teflon liner,  different wheel and tips.

Kevin

Matt

Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 09:26:13 PM »
ah...that makes a bit more sense then....

Billyisgr8

Mig Welders And Bodywork
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2004, 08:01:59 AM »
For me it was worth it to buy in the states because I also bought a Lincoln plasma cutter at the same time, except with the plasma I saved almost $1700.00 ( new not reconditoined ), + the $200.00 with the welder.  Both from different places, and both arrived within 3 days from each other. So I only had 1 trip down to pick them up.  With my business Canada doesn't carry much stuff, or else the businesses are totally hosing the consumer so I am constantly buying from the US.  

For instance 1 linear bearing is $380.00 US... same bearing through a Canadian retailer is $860.00.????? Why would I even buy here when I need 12 of these?  Thats almost $4000.00 savings for the same part #.  I don't get it.  Some mark up is ok but many companies take advantage of it.  

With welders it is a competative market, there is less price gouging.  For me to save 200.00 on a welder  is not really worth it to take the time to drive, but the plasma savings blew me out of the water.. It was definitly worth it then.

You have to decide what you are willing to do. and how far you want to drive.  

If I was looking for something more on a budget, I think I would go for the cheapest welder with the longest wire feed/handle hose.  If all you are doing is sheet metal, you don't need long duty cycle anyways.

Ebay is also a great place to buy new welders from.  I bought my plasma with the buy it now  option through ebay and saved huge.

I love the internet, you can really get to know pricing for parts.

Of course if you want to support somebodies business locally because of there smallness and great personal touch, and you know they could really use the sale because it is all the small sales that keeping them going , then I don't hesitate on spending more for the good service, they also have to make a living.

Kevin