Author Topic: Fuel pump  (Read 1246 times)

Offline ray

Fuel pump
« on: September 04, 2008, 08:39:03 PM »
How do you know your fuel pump is about to quit ? Here's the specs mech / pump on my 1600 block . Today noticed there was little or no fuel in the filter . The car was running a bit funny @ idle . Not the normal sound. Was about to travel to whiterock from Van , just thought I'd have a look to make sure. Only the smallest amount of fuel was going from the pump to the fuel filter. Really the filter was almost bone dry . Reving it up the fuel would increase a tiny bit . Noticed a few weeks ago my fuel pump was leaking a slight bit . Now the top part of the pump is all back and looks like fuel came from there too. It's a made in Germany pump would like to get them same one again . Seems all that is left is offshore China  . Called Vic @ ARV he was a big help since it was about to close . He made it so I could pick it up later that evening. So just before I rip out my old one and install the new one..................anyone got any info ??????? Guessing that fuel pumps are pressure senstive ..........thanks . Ray

Offline Bruce

Re: Fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 08:44:15 PM »
A plastic filter between the pump and the carb will ALWAYS be nearly empty.  You don't have a problem.

I highly recommend you remove it completely.  They cause more car fires than anything else. 
You have no fire insurance with it in place.

Offline Oil Phil-M

Re: Fuel pump
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 10:39:01 AM »
I second that.  I used one of those filters inside my engine bay for years without any problems until one day, for some reason it just started leaking.  If I didn't have to run back into the garage for something and happen to notice a puddle under my bus it along with my dog would likely have been cremated.  I now keep my filter under the bus and have mounted a fuel pressure gauge at my carb inlet.  You can pick up a small white faced mechanical gauge for about $30.  Its helped me track down fuel problems in the past