Author Topic: the '55 Ragtop.....are we done yet?  (Read 101078 times)

Offline Jeremy

Re: Project '54 Ragtop
« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2011, 10:35:24 PM »
That regulator is trick. Is that 3/8" line from the tank/pump, 3/8" return line with a carb line from the front and another off the bottom?
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline josh

« Reply #241 on: July 21, 2011, 06:13:46 AM »
Nope, went with 1/2" or -8 for both supply and return from front to rear....really only needed 3/8" but I didn't want to choke down the monster pump.
Plus this way if I get stupid enough and want to go turbo or add some giggle gas then I'm set-up on fuel :P
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #242 on: July 21, 2011, 10:06:33 AM »
1/2" lines for 3psi!!! You could fuel a V8 back there if you wanted to. Good idea doing it now just in case....

Looks like you've mached up almost everything what's next, body work?

I see three return lines to your sump. Two from the heads, where's other one coming from?
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline josh

« Reply #243 on: July 21, 2011, 12:28:49 PM »
1/2" lines for 3psi!!! You could fuel a V8 back there if you wanted to. Good idea doing it now just in case....

Looks like you've mached up almost everything what's next, body work?

I see three return lines to your sump. Two from the heads, where's other one coming from?

Oh yeah, this pump supports 700 hp :o

The other returnto the sump is from a Jaycee bypass remote filter mount replacing the internal one in the case.

I'm just getting into fitting cooling tin and shortening tie rods and torsion leaves etc. After that body will be pulled again and blasted then body work ???
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Bruce

« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2011, 08:59:03 PM »
1/2" lines for 3psi!!! You could fuel a V8 back there if you wanted to.
More than that!  When Chevy built a small block car, they used 5/16" lines.  BB cars got a 3/8" line. 
Maybe Josh has future plans for a V12.......

Offline josh

« Reply #245 on: July 21, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »
What pressure does a BB chebby run? 10psi?

Isn't the relationship of pressure vs. flow as psi goes down so does flow?.......so 10 psi will support more hp than 3 psi going through the same size line?.......can't remember right now :-\
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Bruce

« Reply #246 on: July 22, 2011, 12:19:45 PM »
What pressure does a BB chebby run? 10psi?
No, not that much.

One thing going against the Chevy is that the acceleration of the car hinders the forward flow of fuel in the line.  For us, it helps.

Offline driverfound

« Reply #247 on: July 28, 2011, 09:14:48 PM »
Hey Josh I still have that carbon fiber hood I bought from you years ago. Still just a dust collector in my shop. You need it back? Lol.

Offline josh

« Reply #248 on: July 28, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »
no im good on that but i do know who wants it.....pm me if you want to get rid of it
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline josh

« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2011, 10:23:04 AM »
setting up my suspension....not sure if these shocks will work for the ride height i'm after.......

polished my box  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

right side hard line terminated with schraeder fitting to check pressure

made up some soft lines for the carbs

cool pulley nuts from CE.....nice product!

55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline josh

« Reply #250 on: October 09, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »
I'm BACK!!!!  :P

Knocking little stuff off the list.......finally happy with my door gaps now, 4mm all around. found a busted vent window screw that had to come out.

that trick is soooo awesome!

Onto the finishing the gas tank, first get rid of stock reserve bung....

Then make swiss cheese...

return line fitting

and the mini sump/reserve getting ready to weld up

lastly got my cage tied into the truss bar, had to open up the holes in panels a c-hair to get good clearance .....

55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Bruce

« Reply #251 on: October 10, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »
Does your fuel valve on the bottom of the tank mimic the stock valve?
Are you sure it doesn't hit the tunnel?

Offline josh

« Reply #252 on: October 10, 2011, 12:38:14 PM »
Does your fuel valve on the bottom of the tank mimic the stock valve?
Are you sure it doesn't hit the tunnel?

Yup, same as stock and it's pretty close, bout 1/2" from panhead
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
« Reply #253 on: October 15, 2011, 09:39:09 PM »
The nut weld trick is def one of the coolest tricks you can do!!
Looks awsome josh.
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline josh

« Reply #254 on: October 17, 2011, 06:51:31 PM »
making "faux" billet clamps for fuel pump and filters out of some 1/2" aluminum plate

laid out....

a little hole saw action followed with a little red neck milling on the drill press (carbide bit and flapper wheel)

after some band saw/belt sander love this was the result....

guess I didn't take a pic of the other side but it has a 5mm allen cap screw running through the slot between 2 holes to pinch down......worked out good.  gonna start on the second one tonight then a 3rd for the 10 micron filter that will mount to the truss bar out back
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Bruce

« Reply #255 on: October 18, 2011, 12:18:43 AM »
Nice bit of engineering!
How about a few speed holes?

Offline josh

« Reply #256 on: November 18, 2011, 06:39:08 PM »
been super busy lateley put sill picking away

spent 4 hours today metalworking a doorskin  wee_hee
was chasing oil can dents, super fun!

cool stamp found inside one of the doors..... was under the beige but over primer

also finished the fuel pump clamps....

plumbing soft lines is going to be fun   :banghead:
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline buggal

• April McNicol
  • 1972 STD Beetle project
« Reply #257 on: November 18, 2011, 08:26:12 PM »
Just finished checking out your posts. I really like what you're doing. Especially your imagination and execution. The clamps are really trick. Thanks for posting, I've really enjoyed looking.

cheers

Offline josh

« Reply #258 on: November 22, 2011, 02:49:37 PM »
Thanks for the comments, I have been having fun (sometimes more than others)

This stage has dragged on for long enough!! I want this car in color by spring dammit :band1: But am I glad im mocking EVERYTHING up first! Have found many a issue that would have been a deal breaker arfter paint.

Been stalled on the car for a couple months now.....trying to wrap my head around this one. Problem I was having was the motor seemed to be sitting a bit cock-eyed in the compartment. After much nut scratching determined the frame horns were a bit tweaked.....drivers side up a bit only like 1/4" but by the time ity transmits on out to the rear pulley tin it was over 1/2" (canlalever effect sort of) After much thought thought I devised a plan to make this right

welded the shit out of an old frame horn bolt to a hunk of pipe (yes it had been outide for a while )

took a while to square the car up 100% level, got my #'s and had at it....

big ass rosebud on my turbo torch and sit my 215 lbs on the end of the pipe.......

worked out nice...

gonna make up a custom panel out of aluminum rater than try and stitch the german one up but at least the engine seal will seal \:D/

That was a big mind fuck for me for some reason, just happy to deal with now rather than at final assembly!!!!

Next set of pics are of the final product on the dual caliper brackets......much thought went into getting the math to line up between mounting tab height to centerline for rotor between the 2 piston and mechanical spot caliper!!!!!

aluminum standoffs to get it in the sweet spot (trial and error first with washers stacked to figure out)

E-brake cable will need a sleeve welded to the back....

finally one more box ticked off!!!

Lastly dialing in adjustable spring plates and bronze retainers.....

they travel nicely thought the full range with no tight spots.

I didn't take any pics of the eurothane inner bushings I turned down to work with these....most guys will tell you you don't need them with the solid caps but what the hell. washers will be removed and alum slugs made up instead
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline josh

« Reply #259 on: November 24, 2011, 09:46:30 AM »

Head cold kicked my ass all god damb week!! That meant no work but not the type that can rest been pulling some hours in the shop  Woot_Emoticon

first off was splice the cars original body # back in.....probably my best invisible weld yet!!!

finally seaperated the body and pan (for the 15th time) to finnish up some welding etc

tabs for oil cooler

rear will hang off some 1/4" himes joints off of cage plate and over to frame horn (steel and electrical tape to get rod length...will make up some 3/8" alum threaded bars soon)

clutch tube was a bit too long exiting pan, all better now....

with body out of way got pump/filter attached to frame head and soft lines all sorted.....tight ass fit in there!! still need one more 180 for filter inlet but everything is nice and snugg away from tie rod interferance

55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Bruce

« Reply #260 on: November 24, 2011, 08:15:54 PM »
tabs for oil cooler

See that weld that goes all around the torsion tube about 4" to the left of your tab?  The OCD in me couldn't leave that alone when I did my Mexican Beetle's pan swap.  I ground it all the way flush before painting.

Offline josh

« Reply #261 on: November 24, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »
Yeah pass side is already done .....
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline josh

« Reply #262 on: November 25, 2011, 06:08:12 PM »

Pre carb 10 micron filter will mount here...

got front torsion leafs all trimmed off and dimpled, beam turned out to be a 5" narrowed.

also got lower shock mounts done....my first attempt of just removing stud, drilling and putting in a thread cert failed  .... shock hit upper torsion arm. stood off a little box section and welded up (still needs a little smoothing out....

also went over every inch of seal channel with hammer and special little dolly I made up......that was fun

55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
« Reply #263 on: January 31, 2012, 10:45:59 AM »
Mad Skills Bud...Hopefully this car lasts longer than the last one :sorry:
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline josh

« Reply #264 on: January 31, 2012, 08:05:38 PM »
Thanks dude! Haven't touched this thing for a couple months...... Kinda back burnered it sign0023

Have been building a Manx clone for this summer...... I will actually have a driving ACVW for this years GCVWS  :1rij: :1rij:
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
« Reply #265 on: March 04, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »
 :1rij: :1rij: :1rij: :1rij:
 :1rij: :1rij:

i like these guys, but also cool youll be drivin something this year!!
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline rekka

• AirSpeed Forum Member
    • Radwerx Creative Inc
« Reply #266 on: March 04, 2012, 02:40:35 PM »
making "faux" billet clamps for fuel pump and filters out of some 1/2" aluminum plate

laid out....

Nothing faux about those. Thats real billet right there. Ie a chunk of aluminium (excuse my English English) and not a casting.

This car is looking sweet.
Radwerx. Architectural features in wood, metal and concrete www.radwerx.ca

Offline josh

« Reply #267 on: March 04, 2012, 05:12:48 PM »
Thanks! Those have way too much hand carving to call them real billet...no CNC or fancy cad time :victory:
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline josh

« Reply #268 on: November 06, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »
IIIIIMMMMM BAAAACK!!!!!
Manx is going into Storage to free up other bay and work has resumed on the poor old 55.....got a little catch up to do from last bit.....first gas tank mods

Original plan was to weld an external pick-up hanging off the bottom for the super flow reserve valve to weld to, after much nut scratching I scrapped that idea mainly due to the fear of all the weight bouncing off tank bottom cracking a weld and well bursting into a fiery inferno  =;
Plan B internal baffle type "top hat" thingamobobber cut into tank and mount 3 way valve with a tang welded to pan tunnel connected with soft lines.
Tank all TIG'ed up (forgot to snap a pic o baffle before welded) basically one port has a 3" stub up of 1/2" SS to act as regular running port then other is flush with bottom of tank for reserve. There are a dozen 1/8" holes around perimeter of hat to let fuel in but it won't be able to slosh out and lose suction under hard launches and such..... Well that's my theory anyway

And what it looks like dangling iPhone in though 100mm filler neck.

SS hard line bent in 180 seen is the return line from bypass reg. (aimed it back at bottom of tank so it wasn't firing up top like a fire hose!!!)

Where valve will be mounted....

55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline josh

« Reply #269 on: November 06, 2012, 09:14:27 PM »
All this for 11 little half inch holes in pan from the first time I mounted the rollbar in too far back and back seat wouldn't fit.....

Made up a bracket and welded to pan head to mount the reserve lever and also a new handle for it out of stainless 3/8" tube and silver soldered it to the brass clamp, losing the 1/4" universal socket I had on there before (didn't need it anymore as I got a straight shot on it now)

Originally I was going to leave the heat muffler things under the rear seat out...I even had filled the holes in the rear crossmembers. Very carefully measured and marked....ready to try and make an oval hole with a hole saw

[/quote]

Shit pile of little stuff all over finished up,  all of the most pain in the ass spots to grind welds imaginable I put off doing now all done 

inside the spare tire well was great fun!

Under luggage area

Heat mufflers went in nicely!

All welded in, can't remember how this seam was welded from factory..... Have a feeling they were just stitched in a couple spots but I went all way around and will blend them in

Little tabs had to come off to slide through hole, back on now

Test fitting rear seat and figuring out some sort of seat belt mounting points back there

Almost forgot about this one little random rust spot on heater channel carpet tack strip.....was too late to fire up grinder but will be replacing 4-5" of strip

Been going over entire body with a flashlight behind panels welding up any pinholes.....

Old heavy gauge repro rear fenders had a couple extra bolt holes that needed fillin....backed up with copper heat sink

Plus a bunch more little shit, all piddly small jobs that suck but shit is getting done!!
  :band1: :1rij: :band1: :1rij:
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2