Author Topic: Locks... Keyed The Same?  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Custom76Bus

• http://vw.norquaydesign.com
Locks... Keyed The Same?
« on: February 23, 2005, 11:09:09 PM »
Heya All,

Just wondering where ppl have taken their locks to get them rekeyed? I've got 2 keys and no working locks on my 76 !! doh!... So time to get them all keyed up alike. I've heard you can do it yourself with a few extra tumblers, although it looks as though all my tumblers have no noticable markin on them to differentiate.

Any hints would be great, thanks :D

--Gavin
1976 Custom Westfalia... in the works.

Offline surgerypending

Locks... Keyed The Same?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 08:01:41 AM »
try a body shop.....most bodymen can do it
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline James Buchan

Locks... Keyed The Same?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 08:27:37 AM »
Any locksmith can do it

Offline rustybus

Locks... Keyed The Same?
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 10:08:52 PM »
I have yet to do it with a vw lock. Once you have the tumbler out stick the key in if all the tabs go down if it's a match. keep interchanging the tabs til they all go down flush to the tumbler . If you try all cominations and still have one that won't go all the way down you can leave it out .but it will make it easier for some one else to get into your ride with another key. odds are it will not happen this way but it does increase the chances. I am going to try van lock right now I will keep you posted on how it worked. Some tumbers won't come out unless you have the right key or tools.
Chris

Offline rustybus

Locks... Keyed The Same?
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 10:46:50 PM »
O.K. done, sorta I couldn't find a bus door lock And at this time of night I'm not banging around in my shed with a flash light. Anyway I did it on a bug handle year unknown . I remove the scew from the back , the tumbler slid out  , put in the key pulled it out moved the tabs around . repeted this until it worked. I had a hatch lock but i didn't have the right tool to get the c-clip out .  If you need some door handles from a bus I have a couple in the shed you can have free. you pick them up and I will give you a run down on how to do it.
Chris