Technical > Transmission Forum

Gear Combo's

(1/1)

James Buchan:
Hey Geoff, I picked up a 73-up irs tranny that is converted to swing (short axles)

I'm planning on having it built over the next few months and am looking to start collecting parts for it.
What gear ratio combo's do you run/suggest for a street/strip car built specifically to burn brian's ghia's ass?
And what do you guys carry at the store that would work for me?

red snapper:
LOTS of money for starters. Not only will you need a close ratio tranny you might as well go for a stroker! You will have to lighten that car some more because your big head will weigh you down. :blink:  

Geoff:
Hey James, That trans if it was a 73 IRS it cant be converted to swing as a 73 and later only has one side cover, so..... That beaing said we need to know is it a 437,412 or 3;88 ring & Pinion. Where did the trans come from? Do you know who built it?

Your best bet would be to take a 73 and later guts with the  9 tooth first install that into a 71-72 trans with a 4;12 r&P go with a 1;48 3rd and a 121 fourth or maybe a 112 4th depending on the amount of Hwy driving you will do. Then add your short axles (keep in mind you will want a super diff, poor mans posi, chromolly nut retainer and maybe some good axles) There is a full tilt trans for sale aprox $1800 with all this in it.
If you want more on it drop us a line.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version