Technical > Transmission Forum

Cannot move shifter knob into 3rd or 4th positions when bus is moving

<< < (4/5) > >>

pittwagen:
I would do the coupler too while you are under there.

kinggeorge13:

--- Quote from: pittwagen on April 04, 2019, 06:55:36 AM ---I would do the coupler too while you are under there.

--- End quote ---

I assume you mean the one right in front of the transmission and not the simpler one that just connects the front rod to the rear rod that I have to take apart to replace the front bushing?

-George

pittwagen:
Yes, the one in front of the trans.  That is the one I have had the most issue with.  Just make sure the other one is tight.

While we are at it, how much free play to you have at your clutch pedal before there is resistance?  No more than an inch, I hope.

As well have you checked your shifter plate? Maybe an adjustment?

kinggeorge13:

--- Quote from: pittwagen on April 04, 2019, 08:17:00 AM ---Yes, the one in front of the trans.  That is the one I have had the most issue with.  Just make sure the other one is tight.

While we are at it, how much free play to you have at your clutch pedal before there is resistance?  No more than an inch, I hope.

As well have you checked your shifter plate? Maybe an adjustment?

--- End quote ---

Ok, ordered the coupler.   The free play on the clutch is too much currently hence my plan to adjust the cable on "the next sunny day" which apparently was a lie because today was sunny and I spent most of it working on my wife's VW Fastback cuz she would like it on the road for the summer and it's had a rough winter in the garage just sitting there and various things failing as it sat there doing nothing....   

I mucked with the shifter plate on the weekend and did not make any improvement but I may go back and do some more.  It was at the same time that I was taking my runs at almost driving into my house.   Heyyyy.......is that why I was able to shift from 2nd to 3rd during that last test run on the driveway?  Because earlier in the day I was playing with the shifter plate?  I never really finished testing different positions because it was late in the day and time to take Bart the Bus and my wife down to the waterfront park in Fort Langley for our picnic so I just tightened it all down again and forgot about it.    I didn't try going 2nd to 3rd until the fun on the driveway a couple days later.       Jeez......I wonder.....

-George

kinggeorge13:
Finally got my shift rod coupler in from CIP1.   What was I thinking?   I remember thinking it would be interesting seeing how the cheapest one they have compared to one of the better ones they have.  Basically  $19 vs $42.   I guess somewhere along the way I was adding and removing various things from my online "shopping cart" and then finally submitted the order.   So it all shows up and there is only one coupler in there.   I apparently deleted one of them:  the good one.   So meanwhile this $19 one?  Who the heck would ever put that in their car/bus?   I totally get and understand the whole "you get what you pay for" but seriously this thing is just bent up metal crap.   Why even carry it?   I think it has more play in it than my worn one.  So now I've ordered the proper one.  Actually I ordered their two "best" ones as they are pretty close in price and if they are both good I'll always use the 2nd one sooner or later.   

Meanwhile for fun and learning, I had my wife (engine off, bus up on ramps, front wheels chocked) go slowly through all the gears 1-2-3-4 and back down again multiple times while I watched and learned from underneath the bus how the shift rod coupler moves and how much for each gear.  Then I had her do a few 1 - 3 and back and 2 - 4 and back since they are kinda similar down there.   What amazes me about this all is how incredibly close 1 - 3 movements and 2 - 4 movements are.   It is barely discernible to my eyes that they are even different:  it looks to me like one is just a little more "tilted/turned" on the rod axis than the other.   Amazing that inside the transmission it can react to such a small difference.  I can certainly see why a little worn play in that coupler can mess up shifting. 

-George

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version