Specialty Forums > Off-Road Forum

Advise on making a windshield frame or having one made

<< < (3/4) > >>

syncrobuggy:
you weld a small flange around the inside of the roll bar and attach the windshield using a universal windshield rubber.  That will hold it in place tight and it wont move (as long as the bar is solid).  google universal windshield rubber if you haven't seen it before.  many different styles but they all do the same thing.     

pittwagen:
I welded a 5/8" flange around the center windshield in my buggy.  Originally I was going to use the universal rubber and glue the corners but I landed up glueing it in with the hi tech glue that is used on all the modern cars.  The rubber, if you choose that is available at Speedy on Dewdney Trunk  in MR.

Max G:

--- Quote from: syncrobuggy on April 11, 2017, 03:00:27 PM ---you weld a small flange around the inside of the roll bar and attach the windshield using a universal windshield rubber.  That will hold it in place tight and it wont move (as long as the bar is solid).  google universal windshield rubber if you haven't seen it before.  many different styles but they all do the same thing.     

--- End quote ---

ah yes, I do know what you mean, I've had a few older vehicles with windshields that have this rubber gasket, you have to "rope" them in.

--- Quote from: pittwagen on April 11, 2017, 05:49:05 PM ---I welded a 5/8" flange around the center windshield in my buggy.  Originally I was going to use the universal rubber and glue the corners but I landed up glueing it in with the hi tech glue that is used on all the modern cars.  The rubber, if you choose that is available at Speedy on Dewdney Trunk  in MR.

--- End quote ---

do you have any pictures of your buggy's windshield?
I work in a bodyshop which is icbc glass express certified so I have a decent supply of windshield urethane.

pittwagen:
This is about the best I have.  I think the flange was actually 1/2".  Just bent it around the tubing and tacked it into place.  Glass shop actually painted a 1" strip around the inside of the glass to hide the glue.

Max G:
Looks really good!
What size tubing did you use?
Let me know if you'll be bringing it out anywhere soon, (dubz in the barn?) I'd like to check it out in person

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version