Technical > Transmission Forum

Grinding into 3rd Gear...

(1/3) > >>

kinggeorge13:
My 1977 Westie I picked up last year came with a rebuilt earlier dual-carburated engine.   I have the receipts where the engine was replaced by a shop several years ago with this dual-carburated older version (then a year later they have a receipt where they bought new carbs as well and replaced them). 

Since the day I bought it, 9/10 times I shift into 3rd, it grinds it's way in (and yes, I realise the longer I do this, the worse damage will get so I'm not driving it hardly at all).   Super-rare times if the engine is just the right speed, it seems to go into 3rd without much grinding but for the life of me, I can never duplicate that success on demand.   And when going higher speeds an using 4th gear there is no way I can shift down into 3rd again.   It does not grind when I'm downshifting, it simply won't let me move the stickshift into the 3rd position.   I end up slowing enough to shift down into 2nd and work my way back up to 3rd from there.  No other gears grind or have issues at all. 

Any thoughts or is this transmission pretty much toasted?   I've never had a transmission problem before this and while I've done lots of other work and mechanical work on my buses, the transmission is a mystical, strange creature to me which I'm only now starting to read up on and learn. 

Thanks!
George and Cosmos (my 77 bus)

kinggeorge13:
So I've been reading up lots on this.  It seems unlikely that it would help but I have read posts from folks who had pretty much the same or similar symptoms of my bus and say that replacing the transmission fluid with new, high quality transmission fluid (likely synthetic if I can find it in GL-4) and 85W-90.  Otherwise it seems that GL5 can be used but only if it has an MT-1 specification or says it is GL4-compatible.    We'll see how that goes.   I'll do a little more research before picking the best fluid to be used. 

The other thing that has been suggested is doing the adjustment procedure on the clutch.   Again, maybe not too likely but some people profess it fixed their "one gear grinding" problems.   

I'll try both of these before I go the route of finding a transmission repair place that knows these transmissions.   

-George

owdlvr:
For fluid, I'd recommend Motul Gear300. Though I can't say anything about its ability to assist your 3rd gear syncro, I can confidently say it helped with the same brass syncros in my old Audi rally car transmission. Motul Dealer Finder: https://www.motul.com/ca/en-us/resellers?q=vancouver&activities%5B1%5D=1

Otherwise, for a GL-4 specific oil use Redline MT-90: http://driversedgeautosport.com/redline_MT90.html, available at Lordco or Driver's Edge Autosport.

Don't use Amsoil...though I'm sure someone will post up about how you should only use it. But transmission fluids are like politics, everyone thinks they're right...

pittwagen:
So have you ever changed the trans oil?  If not, do it and report back as to what your found by way of filings etc. in the oil and anything attached to the magnet on the drain plug.  Any idea how many kms on the beast?

Bruce:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version