Author Topic: Axle Nut Tight  (Read 1884 times)

Russ

Axle Nut Tight
« on: April 08, 2004, 07:28:18 AM »
i have the axle nut on one side of the car that goes almost all the way on by hand the last bit i tighten before i crank it on.
the other side starts real nice but about half way through starts to get sticky and by the end(i can get it to touch the drum)it feels like i am cranking it just to snug it up,i have swaped nuts the tight one works on the other side.
i was thinking about buyng a die to chase the threads(i can't see any burr on it though) doeas anybody have one i can borrow or know the size that it is  22mm X 1.5 (???)
thanks for any help
russ

Offline Bruce

Axle Nut Tight
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 11:40:47 AM »
That's going to be one expensive die!  I think its M24x1.5
If you can wind it on almost all the way with your hand, you should be OK to just leave it.  You could oil the threads if you wanted.  I can't think of ever being able to wind the nut on with my bare hand, they always took some wrench work to get them to the drum.  How much torque do you think it takes to turn it before it seats?

Billyisgr8

Axle Nut Tight
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 11:47:27 AM »
a thread file and a wire brush would be cheaper, run the file all the way around to the end.

Kevin

Russ

Axle Nut Tight
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 12:17:20 PM »
general price is about 75 bucks for the die i will try the file idea

Bruce i would say probably 100 ftlbs(merly a guess) i have a shorter breaker bar on it to tighten it to the drum
i'll let you know how it goes

russ

Offline James Buchan

Axle Nut Tight
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 02:51:09 PM »
Russ I have that Die, let me know if you still want it and I'll bring it home from work tonight. (M24x1.5)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 02:52:15 PM by James Buchan »