Author Topic: Bad Noises *help*  (Read 3304 times)

Russ

Bad Noises *help*
« on: April 01, 2004, 06:06:54 PM »
my 57 started making this horrible grinding sound. You can hear it, kinda rubbing even when the car is just idling, but when you drive it gets louder and scratchier sounding. Makes my skin crawl. Must find out what it is!! Seems to disappear or at least be less audible in 3rd and 4th, or maybe I just drown it out with road noise?!Need help fast, drive this car daily since it came from Cali under its own power  :unsure: and have always felt confident in it. 1776 with stock tunnel style trans

Thought it might be the clutch, but would it still make the bad noise even at idle??
Thanks

Offline James Buchan

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 06:51:54 PM »
Idle your car and give your fan shroud a pull/push - does that fix it? If so your fan is rubbing

Russ

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 06:54:19 PM »
been there done that
no success

Offline James Buchan

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 07:11:16 PM »
May be your throw-out bearing then.

Offline Hansk

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 07:35:47 PM »
When it's idleing  , does it make any difference if you push in the clutch? Any differance if it's in gear or not? How/when did this start? sudden or over time?
Big fat black fastback

Russ

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 09:22:51 PM »
hey guys,
my wife has been filling in:)
ya when in gear and i drive forward it gets a hell of alot louder,ugly loud
it just started today,although it started popping out of 4th a few months ago
russ
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 09:42:29 PM by R.Scott »

Offline Bruce

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 11:02:57 PM »
The surefire way to eliminate the generator and fan is to remove the belt and take it for a short drive.

You say it makes the noise when not moving.  When you are stationary, the axles, diff, and pinion shaft are not moving.   That eliminates the outer axle bearings, diff bearings and the large pinion bearing.  It could be the mainshaft pinion bearing, or any of the bearings for each gear.

Or maybe the flywheel is falling off.

Russ

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 06:44:34 AM »
Ok,
here is a little more info i took the fan belt off no difference,oddly when i started it this morning it did not make too much noise at idle.
when i drive it sounds like metal on metal 1st and 2nd and some in third.in first gear it is very loud when i press the clutch in and coast it still grinds.
any thoughts now(i'm leaning towards hooped trans)
thanks russ
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 08:00:43 AM by R.Scott »

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 08:08:11 AM »
Russ, just in case it turns out to be a trans contact Matt he has one cheap!

Offline Bruce

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 11:49:05 AM »
Since it changes when you press in the clutch, that tells me it may not be just a transmission problem.  Either way, the engine is coming out this weekend, right?  

Before you attack the trans, pull the pressure plate and check the flywheel attachment.

Russ

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 12:03:10 PM »
well i assume i will be pulling the engine this weekend.
although when it comes to engine or tranny problems other than installing them i am lost(i can check the flywheel no problems) but from there i will eaither try a used trans or something else(see what i can find) i have no where near enough knowledge to start dissasembling transmissions :(
thanks russ

Offline Hansk

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 10:49:28 PM »
Maybe you could get someone to have a quick listen to it before you take anything apart. Maybe swing by Airspeed see if Geoff or Jim could ....or  where is the car now , maybe I could........or anyone else ?
Big fat black fastback

Russ

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 09:13:10 AM »
Hans,
thanks i did end up swinging by airspeed Geoff said it sounds like the throw out bearing,i will pull the engine this morning  and see what i can find.
if all goes well i hope to be driving again this afternoon.
thanks for all the input guys   (Hans,Bruce,Geoff and James)
Russ

Offline James Buchan

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 10:15:30 AM »
Ok where's my prize for guessing it right?!?!??

Offline Bruce

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 01:14:08 PM »
If it is the TO bearing, by loosening the wing nut giving it more pedal freeplay, the noise should completely disappear when your foot is off the clutch.

Russ

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2004, 02:54:05 PM »
well the throw out bearing,pressure plate and clutch look fine.
i have a completly built trans by terry hoogstin sitting in my rolling pan when both cars are in first i can grab the mainshaft on the rebuilt one and it is very tight trying to rotate it it barely moves.on the daily driver i grab the main shaft and it moves rather freely making an odd noise(not really sure what it should like so mabey odd is normal:)
it does not move in and out.
i think i will pull the trans tonight and see about getting it rebuilt any other suggestions?

thanks for the help guys
ps Bruce the engine was out by the time i read this :(  

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2004, 03:21:36 PM »
Russ, Bruce can rebuild your trans as well as Terry and Lou.

Offline Mike Scott

Bad Noises *help*
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2004, 01:06:24 PM »
My reply is probably a little late, but nonetheless

I had a similar problem with my '57 turned out to be the flywheel rattling around, it had worked loose over time and was rubbing against the bell housing. When you pulled the engine was there any scaring on the bellhousing? Was the flywheel still real tight?

Mike