Author Topic: Stock Motor Challenge 2011...  (Read 10120 times)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Stock Motor Challenge 2011...
« on: July 03, 2011, 10:25:48 PM »
6th Annual Stock Motor Challenge (SMC)
1/4 Mile Drag Racing Class Open To All Aircooled VW's Powered by Stock Displacement Motors (please read rules on SMC site)
August 26th 2011 @ 430pm Until Dark
Mission Raceway Park

http://www.missionraceway.com/contact_us.php

Sponsored by AVR Import Specialties http://www.avrparts.com/
And
The Zündfolge Car Club

Lots of Prizes and Lots of Fun!!!

Held In Conjunction With The 12th Annual DVKK Strip Show And The 20th Annual Great Canadian VW Show Weekend!!!

http://www.gcvws.com/

Please Visit The SMC Site For Rules, Pics & History and Stay Tuned for More Info!!!

http://www.freewebs.com/stockmotorchallenge/

last year was alot of fun and a huge success. we had 8 cars and 7 drivers...two brothers going toe to toe...carlos participated in his 5th consecutive SMC...lucas was our youngest driver ever...we had one driver stuff himself into his wife's jeans just so he could race...and bruce set the bar by logging the lowest et and highest kmh ever in SMC history!!!

so let's make this year even bigger and better!!! will carlos be back for a 6th consecutive run? will bruce show up to defend his title? maybe some SGVWA members want to try it out? anyone else want to make some call outs or get some friendly grudge matches going? ;)

remember...it's all about having as much fun as possible with our acvw friends and getting as many cars on the track as possible!! bugs, buses, type III's, ghias, things, rails, buggies, trikes, coachbuilts...daily drivers, weekend warriors, trailer queens, full show, full custom (except for motor), full stock...bring them out and have some fun with some friends on the 1/4...you wont regret it!!! :cool:

Offline silas

Re: Stock Motor Challenge 2011...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 12:07:24 AM »
come on out & give it a try...it'll be fun!!!

:cool:

Offline silas

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »
IMPORTANT SMC UPDATE!!!

I just wanted to mention a few things to make sure everyone knows what to do and just how easy and fun it is to enter the SMC!!

-SMC entry fee = $0

-Mission Raceway Park Street Legal Drag Racing entry fee = $35

So what does that mean and what should you do...?

-1- Show up at Mission Raceway at 4pm on Friday August 26th, gates open at 430pm, tell them you'll

be racing in the Sport Compact Class for the Street Legals and pay your $35 entry fee.

-2- Prepare your car for tech, go to and pass tech, and return to the pit area.

-3- Find the SMC/Zündfolge Car Club pit area. There will be a large, grey enclosed car trailer with a green

& gold Suburban parked in front of it, and a big blue event tent beside the trailer with a Zündfolge

Car Club banner hanging on the side of it. This is where you register for the SMC. Find me (Silas = tall,

skinny, white dude...ask around...i wont be hard to find) and sign up!!!

-4- Racing starts around 530pm and goes until 11pm-ish. Make as many runs down the 1/4 as you like, keep

your time slips and show them to me after each run or at the end of the night.

-5- Have fun!!! It's always a great night with good friends and nice cars!! Come on out and be a part of it!!! :cool: :cool:

Cheers,

Silas

Offline silas

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 11:13:07 PM »
THIS JUST IN...

The fine folks at TAG Whistler (The Adventure Group Whistler) have just sweetened the prize pool by donating a Gift Certificate for 2 for any one of their Daytime Adventures!!

Check them out at http://www.tagwhistler.com/

We here at SMC Headquarters have decided that this prize will be given away as "The Spirit of the SMC" award.

This means every participant is eligible to win!!! All you have to do is show up & race!!

So come on out and join in the fun!!!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
maybe I better pull my motor.... seems like a better deal to run the SMC

Offline Bruce

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 01:17:14 AM »
Has anyone noticed this subtle little change aimed only at me?

"4 - No turbos, nitrous, superchargers, chipped stock efi, or forced induction systems"

I guess I spanked your guys asses too hard last year....

Why include this in the power-adders rule?  The chip doesn't add any hp, all it does is take out the restrictions the stock FI has that nobody else has, namely a fixed ignition advance curve, and a rev limiter. 

If I'm restricted to run a rev limiter, maybe everyone should too.

Is Silas gonna shoot a timing light on everyone's engine to make sure they all run stock timing? 

If I'm restricted to stock timing, that should mean no 009s allowed.

Offline silas

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 03:12:17 PM »
thanks for bringing this up bruce. the rules for the SMC have always been posted online and i always post links to the rules page and direct people to the site for all kinds of info regarding the SMC...so it's no secret!

also...i am always more than happy and open to discuss the SMC and it's rules and regs with anyone...including past, present and possibly future participants...aswell as anyone else who has any ideas, opinions and input!!

so lets get a little pow-wow going on here... :cool:

Quote from: Bruce
Has anyone noticed this subtle little change aimed only at me?

"4 - No turbos, nitrous, superchargers, chipped stock efi, or forced induction systems"

please dont take this as a personal attack on you & your car. you just happen to be the only person in 5 years (almost 6) that has raced with an efi motor.

I guess I spanked your guys asses too hard last year....

you did indeed do very well last year, and i was one of the first folks to commend you on your achievements...and plaster them all over every acvw site online! you topped the competition last year by nearly 1 full second and 5+kmh. and that's awesome!!! i want you to come out and join the SMC again this year and do just as good, if not better...i just think it will be more of a competition sans chip!! plus...now that you have the chipped #'s...let's see what that bad boy can do in it's stock configuration!

If I'm restricted to run a rev limiter, maybe everyone should too.

Is Silas gonna shoot a timing light on everyone's engine to make sure they all run stock timing? 

If I'm restricted to stock timing, that should mean no 009s allowed.

one of the things about the SMC...is that it's all about having fun on the 1/4!!! it's also about honesty. i dont have the time to go through every participants car, with or without a timing light, to see that it measures up. if a person tells me it's stock...i believe them. you could show up chipped, tell me your not, and i would believe you!! that's just the way it is!!

The chip doesn't add any hp, all it does is take out the restrictions the stock FI has that nobody else has, namely a fixed ignition advance curve, and a rev limiter.

so...for curiosities sake...and because i dont know any better...what is the stock efi fixed ignition advance curve & rev limiter set at?

again...i'm always open for discussion. let's keep the SMC class going strong and continue to get as many acvws out on the 1/4 as possible!!! it's all for FUN!!! :cool: :cool:

Offline blarneyman

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 09:26:56 PM »
Contemplating ;) The old 1500 is feeling a little tired but I will bring some long pants just in case.  :-\
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline silas

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 11:54:01 PM »
Contemplating ;) The old 1500 is feeling a little tired but I will bring some long pants just in case.  :-\

i'm confident that the 1500 would hold up well...and it would be super cool if you came out and joined in the fun steve!!! we need some USA representation in the SMC!! :cool:

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 01:25:16 PM »
after seeing this years trophies i have to admit i would enter just to get a chance ongetting my hands on one .

everytime i head tomission there are at least a min dozen plus cars with stock drivlines that could entre and run .
please do its all in good fun and rolling off the line and going through your gears will not cause any damage to your car .
so get out there and take part this year , even if its for a run or two

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 02:36:52 PM »
Dave's SMC Prep list:

- Buy Car
- Adjust Valves, replace black tar with used synthetic oil from my 1776
- Discover garage has an overpowering smell of fuel after taking a lunch break.
- Replace fuel lines, back car out of garage so as to not find any other problems.
- Insure Car

- Adjust Points, timing, clean the air filter and tune the carb? (meh, that seems like work...forget it)
- Smack talk with Rob via BBM

--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline number3

• Rob Frose
    • http://www.avrparts.com
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 09:10:27 PM »
Dave's SMC Prep list:

- Buy Car
- Adjust Valves, replace black tar with used synthetic oil from my 1776
- Discover garage has an overpowering smell of fuel after taking a lunch break.
- Replace fuel lines, back car out of garage so as to not find any other problems.
- Insure Car

- Adjust Points, timing, clean the air filter and tune the carb? (meh, that seems like work...forget it)
- Smack talk with Rob via BBM

Rob's SMC list:

- Dig car out from under cover
- charge 6 volt battery.
- install seat belt for driver.  Not factory option in 1958.
- inspect oil leak.  Oh yeah it's an old VW. 
- demount 25 year old front tires and replace with 6 year old tires.

- buy permit and say a long prayer and hope to pass tech
- extra cash for Silas
- watch for Dave in review mirror
- Place money on who won't finish the event with bookie "Vinny the Arm" in Las Vegas

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 09:42:49 PM »
- watch for Dave in review mirror

Oh its on like Donkey Kong!!

-Dave

p.s. Silas, Connor is entering the SMC in my bug.

--
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom

Offline silas

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 10:30:02 PM »
after seeing this years trophies i have to admit i would enter just to get a chance ongetting my hands on one .

everytime i head tomission there are at least a min dozen plus cars with stock drivlines that could entre and run .
please do its all in good fun and rolling off the line and going through your gears will not cause any damage to your car .
so get out there and take part this year , even if its for a run or two

i concur...the awards this year are bitchin!! thanks again for your help jim!!

plus, with great prizes from our sponsors http://avrparts.com/ and http://www.tagwhistler.com/ there is a load of good loot to be had!!!

also...loving the banter between dave & rob!! You_Rock_Emoticon

p.s. Silas, Connor is entering the SMC in my bug.

saweeeet!!! so...what will you be driving?

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 10:36:46 PM »
Any one have a battery hold down they could bring to the races in case my home job I fab up tommorow doesn"t cut it. That's about all I need to do before wreeking havoc Fri.  ;D
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 10:38:33 PM »
...I figure once I spank Rob in the stock bug on run #1, I'll run my '69 ;-)

-Dave

--
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom

Offline silas

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 10:59:43 PM »
...I figure once I spank Rob in the stock bug on run #1, I'll run my '69 ;-)

-Dave

so...you're going make a pass in your stock bug and then hand the reigns over to connor, so he can race your stock bug?

and then you're going to run your 69 with the big motor...?

perfect!! :cool:

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 07:09:35 AM »
Sounds like were going to have a great turn out! The DVKK is also offering up a cash prize for the stock Motor challenge, Not for the fastest but maybe something else.... ;D

Let's say $200

Offline number3

• Rob Frose
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 08:50:50 AM »
Sounds like were going to have a great turn out! The DVKK is also offering up a cash prize for the stock Motor challenge, Not for the fastest but maybe something else.... ;D

Let's say $200

How about for who scatters the most parts on the track lol_hitting

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »
That would make Dave a shoe in  :D

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 10:58:38 AM »
Wow. Feeling the love, feeling the love.

At this point I feel I should mention I have never actually been DOWN a drag strip...except for that time I used a Cube Truck, vs. another rental cube truck.

-Dave
--
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom

Offline blarneyman

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »

At this point I feel I should mention I have never actually been DOWN a drag strip...except for that time I used a Cube Truck, vs. another rental cube truck.

-Dave
You've got one up on me. Closest I've been to a drag strip is taking pics next to the starting line.  ;)
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline number3

• Rob Frose
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »

-Dave

If it's any help my brothers are all trashing my ghia too.  Even Vic is thinking of putting a pass down on the Notch to show how a much power a 1500S has.  No love among brothers either.

Offline blarneyman

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 05:06:04 PM »
Sprung an oil leak today. Going to pick up some new valve cover gaskets in the morning. Hopefully that's the only issue. :angry:
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 07:54:26 PM »
Anyone know what the tech is like for oil leaks? I mean, c'mon its an aircooled VW :P

I don't drip on the driveway, but the engine is wet underneath.

-Dave
--
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom

Offline silas

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 08:12:24 PM »

Let's say $200

are you f'n serious? that is unbelieveable! many hearty thanks to the DVKK for lending a hand!!! You_Rock_Emoticon

Sprung an oil leak today. Going to pick up some new valve cover gaskets in the morning. Hopefully that's the only issue. :angry:

hope you get 'er fixed up steve!! i'm sure you'll be fine!

Anyone know what the tech is like for oil leaks? I mean, c'mon its an aircooled VW :P

I don't drip on the driveway, but the engine is wet underneath.

-Dave

as long as you're not oiling down the lanes or track, i think you should be ok. safety for all racers!!! i doubt the tech guys will even look underneath, just clean it up as best as possible.

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
as long as you're not oiling down the lanes or track, i think you should be ok. safety for all racers!!! i doubt the tech guys will even look underneath, just clean it up as best as possible.

BrakeKleen on the highway exit? Got it.

;-)

-Dave
--
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom

Offline blarneyman

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 09:29:35 PM »

hope you get 'er fixed up steve!! i'm sure you'll be fine!

I left an 8" x 12" puddle just idling in the garage for about 3 minutes. I recently adjusted my valves and the only thing the auto parts stores carried were those cheap rubber valve cover gaskets. I'm picking up some cork ones in the morning. Should take care of it. I'll be spraying down the underside of the engine with some carb cleaner or brake cleaner after I'm done.  :o
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 10:31:35 PM »

Let's say $200

fastest with a fukkin tent on the roof?? common common!! i sware!!
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline silas

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 06:22:23 AM »
TODAY IS RACE DAY!!!
- The DVKK has generously donated $200 to the prize pool!!! This will go to a participant(s) of their choice. Maybe the fastest? Maybe the slowest? Maybe the oldest car? Maybe the one who breaks? It's all up for grabs!!!

also...

- We've got some great custom one of a kind trophies for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place!!!

- We've got incredible prizes from our sponsor http://avrparts.com/

- We've got the "Spirit of the SMC" award...a gift certificate for 2 to any daytime adventure at http://www.tagwhistler.com/

There is alot of loot to be won and alot of fun to be had...so come on out and be a part of it!!!

We'll see you at the track!!!

AND DONT FORGET...THIS IS ALL PART OF THE GREAT CANADIAN VW SHOW WEEKEND...3 DAYS OF FUN, FRIENDS, VWS AND SUNSHINE...ALL HAPPENING THIS WEEKEND!!!

http://gcvws.com/