Author Topic: Dual adjuster = full IFS (just a thought)  (Read 2755 times)

Offline 72vdub

Dual adjuster = full IFS (just a thought)
« on: February 10, 2012, 06:26:48 AM »
I have a '72 beetle Canadian deluxe edition, as in everything a standard US beetle has except with a factory swingaxle out back (not a common thing to find, at least in a late model beetle).
Over the past year I've been spending a lot of time thinking of what I would like to do to it (seeing as that's all I can do right now since I've been out of work for over a year).
I have thought about doing a narrowed beam and cutting the torsion rods in half and putting in dual adjuster top and bottom or just top with a through rod on the bottom and maybe air shocks, has anybody ever done something like this and or would it even work?

Hans

Offline rekka

• AirSpeed Forum Member
    • Radwerx Creative Inc
Re: Dual adjuster = full IFS (just a thought)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:27:20 PM »
I'm planning on going this route with an air ride beam for my bus. I want to ride on air and not torsion spring tension at all.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but does anybody know if split and bay or even bug leaves are the same, so I can use bay clamp blocks in a split beam?
Radwerx. Architectural features in wood, metal and concrete www.radwerx.ca

Offline Jerome

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »
I have a '72 beetle Canadian deluxe edition, as in everything a standard US beetle has except with a factory swingaxle out back (not a common thing to find, at least in a late model beetle).
Over the past year I've been spending a lot of time thinking of what I would like to do to it (seeing as that's all I can do right now since I've been out of work for over a year).
I have thought about doing a narrowed beam and cutting the torsion rods in half and putting in dual adjuster top and bottom or just top with a through rod on the bottom and maybe air shocks, has anybody ever done something like this and or would it even work?

Hans

Don't see the point as it already has independent front suspension with the torsions. The dual adjusters would just make the ride hide adjustable left to right... which is almost pointless IMO.
Sucks to your assmar.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:06:24 PM »
Like Jerome said, stock is already completely independent from side to side.  You gain nothing with dual adjusters.

Offline rekka

• AirSpeed Forum Member
    • Radwerx Creative Inc
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 09:36:01 PM »
Unless you want to level up your Westfalia to sleep in on uneven ground!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:39:32 PM by rekka »

Offline Jerome

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:25:20 PM »
True! dual air bags then?
Sucks to your assmar.

Offline rekka

• AirSpeed Forum Member
    • Radwerx Creative Inc
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:03:03 AM »
That is my plan. I have a 60 Pontiac wagon on air and have camped in it a few times. The ability to level it up for camping, or for getting a jack underneath, or for getting a 20" rim out from under a fender is great. My bus is going to be low, but I still want to take it up so somewhere near stock height for missions into the bush.