Author Topic: Tie-rod`s for 5" narrowed beam  (Read 3092 times)

CHEECH

Tie-rod`s for 5" narrowed beam
« on: June 04, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
I have to narrow my tie-rods for my 5" narrowed beam and only have one shot at it so I want to make sure I get it right. Seeing as the beam is 5" I`m assuming I will need to remove 2.5" form each tie-rod correct???

CHEECH

Re: Tie-rod`s for 5" narrowed beam
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 11:19:48 AM »
also wondering about castor shims. How many will I need to run????

Offline billybob57

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
I would go on the Samba and search for Narrowed beams install never know what youll find...

CHEECH

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 01:14:08 PM »
I would go on the Samba and search for Narrowed beams install never know what youll find...

Found 3200 posts... even when I refined my search to 5" narrowed beam.

Offline Russ

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 02:17:38 PM »
i have a 3" narrowed beam but pretty sure i only needed to take an inch off.
as for cutting them just cut from the left hand thread size otherwise you will need a
right hand tap and a left hand tap.i probably have the left tap if needed

CHEECH

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 02:37:43 PM »
Hey Russ, what I was thinking was cuttin it out of the center and using a length of swaybar to run down the ID of the tie-rod then welding up the seam and button welding the tie-rod to the swaybar in a few spots.

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 03:20:56 PM »
If its threaded the easiest way is to cut and re tap the right hand thread in the tie rod. I did this on the passenger side but the driver's side wasn't adjustable so I did the cut and splice like you suggested. I used 1/2" round stock and had to drill out the tie rod with a 1/2" drill to get it to fit. For length you might be able to get away with only cutting 2" off each tie rod just in case you want to go back to a wider beam (wider being a 3 or 4" beam) in the future. I've go the tap if needed. (Coquitlam)
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

CHEECH

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 03:29:41 PM »
Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions  ;D

Offline Russ

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 03:43:08 PM »
If its threaded the easiest way is to cut and re tap the right hand thread in the tie rod. I did this on the passenger side but the driver's side wasn't adjustable so I did the cut and splice like you suggested. I used 1/2" round stock and had to drill out the tie rod with a 1/2" drill to get it to fit. For length you might be able to get away with only cutting 2" off each tie rod just in case you want to go back to a wider beam (wider being a 3 or 4" beam) in the future. I've go the tap if needed. (Coquitlam)
ya ya ya thats what i meant actually :) just got confused a little

Offline dargis

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 10:25:58 PM »
its better to take off not less than you think you will need. theres nothing like having too short of tierods when you went to drive your newly lowered car. also you arent supposed to have welded tierods just incase you ever get a VI. id just cut the right hand thread down and re-tap it. narrowing tierods takes 5 mins.