Author Topic: Which Spindles Sould I Keep. It Matters?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
Which Spindles Sould I Keep. It Matters?
« on: April 12, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
I have  a 3\" narrowed ball joint beam and two sets of spindles. iwant to keep the ones I should use and sell the other set of spindles.

Please tell me what you think

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 07:49:37 PM »
afaik, there are spindles for disc brakes & spindles for drum brakes...do you know which ones you have? (obviously you want the ones for disc brakes).

what brands are they? i'm partial to cb performance spindles only because that's what i used (on a l/p front end) and i know that cb has a good reputation for quality products.

also, the black ones look welded? are the other ones? personally, i'd prefer cast spindles over welded ones.

Offline Trevor P

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 08:07:37 PM »
I would go with the second pair. This will give you a lowered front end with the best ride and then you can use your adjusters to fine tune it from there. The only draw back of those are that they are welded and will add about a 1/2\" per side to you track on the front. Shouldn't matter too much though cause you already have a 3\" chop beam, however the offset of your front wheels and tire combo may say otherwise.
BTW there is nothing wrong with welded spindles IMO.
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:38:59 PM »
That beam looks sweet, Emilio. Where did you get that bad boy? If you plan on lowering the car I would stick with the dropped spindles. I built that beam so the highest point would be stock height and with the 3\" narrow I took into the consideration the added track width. Adjust it all the way up and with the spindles you would only be lowered 2.5 inches with stock height travel. Even though they are welded and might add a 1/2 inch a side to the track they should ride quite a bit better than stock height spindles. As for a welded spindle take a look at the welding on those MoFo's. They are not going to break on you. That's for sure. After I axed the B/J idea  :blink: (ball joint you perverts) I bought the Empi link pin cast spindles and I have to say I would prefer a welded spindle to the cast ones. If you have ever seen cast steel it is very porous (think of an Areo chocolate bar). Strength wise. Forged (CB performance) strongest, forged welded, then cast. My 3 cents.

Jeremy

Hey, those pics look very familiar. [_[  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 11:42:23 PM by brodie »
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline Bubba

Re: Which Spindles Sould I Keep. It Matters?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 10:01:31 AM »
Not all cast material is porous.  At least not to the point where the pores will cause weakening of the part.  The greater concern is what the metallurgy consists of, what sort of heat treat (if any), and casting flaws, such as porosity, shrinkage/cracks, alloy segregation, etc.  I doubt that at the price of cast spindles nowadays, any quality control is being done.  At a minimum, pretty much all new cast parts should be magnetic particle inspected for surface defects prior to use.

As far as welded spindles go, unless you know that the welding was done correctly, taking the parent metal composition into account, you may also be taking a chance.  I would get the spindles magnetic particle tested, primarily in the weld and heat affected zones, and the clean up any irregularities on the weld with a die grinder.  It wouldn't hurt to run a 3mm tool steel ball along the edges of the weld until you can no longer see a line with a 10x loupe.

64 Beetle
86 Nissan Multi
81 Rabbit
90 Malibu Euro F3
94 H-D FXDWG

Any country that protects rights of criminals over rights of honest citizens is not worth living in.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Re: Which Spindles Sould I Keep. It Matters?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 10:43:21 AM »
I would go with the second pair. This will give you a lowered front end with the best ride and then you can use your adjusters to fine tune it from there. The only draw back of those are that they are welded and will add about a 1/2\" per side to you track on the front. Shouldn't matter too much though cause you already have a 3\" chop beam, however the offset of your front wheels and tire combo may say otherwise.

all very good points.

i wasnt paying attention and didnt noticed that one set was dropped spindles.