Author Topic: Front K N L Beam  (Read 1826 times)

Offline surgerypending

Front K N L Beam
« on: December 30, 2007, 04:54:11 PM »
Is it hard to change the link pins or bushings at home or do they need to go to a machine shop?
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline Hansk

Front K N L Beam
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 07:11:54 PM »
The link pin bushings you could probably do at home . The king pin is the tough one , pressed and reamed.  Let me know if you need them done.
Big fat black fastback

Offline surgerypending

Front K N L Beam
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 07:32:17 PM »
The king pins are good. I actually only have one link pin thats loose...the other three tightened up and seem fine but I will change them anyway.
I'm thinking I should be able to press the bushing out with the vise?
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline Brassmonkey

Front K N L Beam
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 10:36:37 PM »
I've tried to do them my self and ended up just taking them in I think it only $40 for both  

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Front K N L Beam
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 10:44:35 PM »
The king pins are good. I actually only have one link pin thats loose...the other three tightened up and seem fine but I will change them anyway.
I'm thinking I should be able to press the bushing out with the vise?
hey gerry, i'm with hans on this one. the link pin bushings should press out pretty easily.

when i built my spindles i used a socket on one side for a drift to press the bushing out, a big socket on the other side so the bushing has somewhere to go, and a nice big bench vice to press it out. same procedure for pressing in aswell. a little lube helps too!!!

iirc, there are holes in the bushing that need to be lined up with the grease zerks on the carrier so the whole assembly can be greased properly.

good luck.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 10:47:09 PM by silas »

Offline surgerypending

Front K N L Beam
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 07:41:43 AM »
I'm gonna go for it. Thanks for the tips Silas!