Author Topic: Deep Sump Help  (Read 1715 times)

Offline kombikruiser

Deep Sump Help
« on: February 09, 2004, 09:22:02 PM »
i found a old deep sump in a friends barn ( 2 7/8 deep i think ) but i dont have the pick up tube. Rather then trying to figure out what i need to make one (  measurments, I.D. ect...) i thought one of you may have one kicken around, and could possibly take a photo of it, or better yet, you may want to sell it. any help would be great.

thanks
vic
'57 Type 1
'67 Type 1
'66 Type 2
'67 Type 3 Fastback

Offline Scratchy

• http://scratchy.kicks-ass.net
Deep Sump Help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 07:33:36 PM »
I just use a 1/2\" copper pipe brazed or soldered onto the steel pick up tube.
You can then just cut it to length with a pipe cutter by doing a dry fit with the
sump attached temporarily and then hold the strainer in place.

-= Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room! =-

Offline Bruce

Deep Sump Help
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 01:42:11 AM »
Uhhh, I don't think that 1/2\" copper pipe will work.  I made my own from 3/4\" steel tubing.  I drilled the ID with an 18mm drill.  This creates the perfect push fit.  I find it hard to believe that 1/2\" copper pipe is even close.

Offline kombikruiser

Deep Sump Help
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 05:35:56 PM »
thanks for the input. the 3/4 inch tubing sound like the way to go. i'll try it this weekend.
thanks again
'57 Type 1
'67 Type 1
'66 Type 2
'67 Type 3 Fastback

Offline Scratchy

Deep Sump Help
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 04:48:25 PM »
Uhhh, I don't think that 1/2\" copper pipe will work.  I made my own from 3/4\" steel tubing.  I drilled the ID with an 18mm drill.  This creates the perfect push fit.  I find it hard to believe that 1/2\" copper pipe is even close.
]All about Pipe[

General
Pipe was originally sized based on the inside diameter of the pipe that was typical of the period, which was cast iron. A half inch cast iron pipe was exactly one half inch inside diameter. The thickness of its wall determined the outside diameter. In order to insure that all pipes and fittings would go together, the standard was established based on that specific outside diameter.

Today, that size remains the standard by which pipe is measured, but since materials have changed, wall thicknesses of pipe, and therefore the inside diameters vary. Consequently, a half inch pipe is neither a half inch on the inside nor the outside, but it is still called a half inch pipe based on the Nominal size established by Iron Pipe of yesteryear. Hence the terms NPS for \"Nominal Pipe Size\" or IPS (Iron Pipe Size). The terms are interchangeable.

Pipe is distinguished from tubing by the standard by which it is measured. Pipe is thick walled, and in standard IPS sizes. When copper tubing was developed, the walls were much thinner than cast iron or steel. Because of copper's unique characteristics, it was deemed not necessary that it be made in IPS sizes. A new standard was developed called CTS or \"Copper Tube Size\" that was much smaller. The actual size of CTS is much closer to its nominal size than that of pipe.

The standard has evolved so that any product made in IPS sizes is called pipe and any product made in CTS sizes is called tubing, without regard to any differences in material or manufacturing process. CPVC is an exception, being called \"pipe\" but being sold in CTS.

Pipe size is determined by its inside diameter (ID). Its outside diameter (OD) will vary with the thickness of its walls.

Size       OD.         ID       Common Usage
   1/4\"   .375\"    .315\" Small fixtures & toilet supply lines  
   3/8\"   .500\"    .430\" Small fixtures & toilet supply lines  
] 1/2\"   .625\"    .545\" Standard lavatory & tub/shower supply line [
   5/8\"   .750\"    .667\" Larger whirlpools, house water lines
   3/4\"   .875\"    .785\" Full Body Showers, house water lines

So the .625 OD fits into the steel pickup tube just right.
Cleanup the inside of the pickup tube with some emery cloth and solder it in with a propane torch and some flux.
I cut the bottom of the copper pipe at a bit of an angle so it wouldn't be blocked off by the bottom of the oil screen
plate. Just my 2 cents worth.

(sorry for the big long lecture).  :blush:

-= Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room! =-

Offline Bruce

Deep Sump Help
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 06:05:22 PM »
I'm well aware of how pipe is measured.  By eye standard 1/2\" copper pipe is a lot smaller than the pickup tube.  If the OD fits nicely into the ID of the pickup tube, this is a mistake.  You are reducing the ID, creating a restriction on the inlet side of the pump.  There's a reason why all aftermarket pickup tube extensions fit over the OD of the stock tube.  Putting 1/2\" copper pipe in the ID is a bad idea.  

Offline Scratchy

Deep Sump Help
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 09:51:09 AM »
There's a reason why all aftermarket pickup tube extensions fit over the OD of the stock tube.
You mean like this ?