Author Topic: 94mm P&c Questions  (Read 1694 times)

Stephan Schmidt

94mm P&c Questions
« on: February 03, 2004, 11:08:29 AM »
I have been reading and reading about engine build ups etc.. for a long time.  I was just wondering why very few people select the 94mm P&C when building a daily driver motor.  you can just as easially make a 1914 as a 1776.  but why use the 90.5mm pistons?  are they longer lasting?  is it because they are smaller or have a thinker cylinder wall that makes they better for everyday use?  I'm thinking about going with 90.5mm P&C's.  but if the 94's are just as good for reliability sakes, then I might as well have a larger displacement motor for the same price.  

this might be a totally dumb question, but it has been bothering me for a long time.  this motor would see daily driving as well as the od track day.

thanks, Stephan

Offline James Buchan

94mm P&c Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 11:43:36 AM »
A 90.5 cylinder wall is slightly thicker than a 94 - some think that it is better due to this. 92's are even thinner than 94's.
It's all relative - if you building a performance engine you'll be freshening things up anyways - might as well go 94's IMO.

Stephan Schmidt

94mm P&c Questions
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 11:54:45 AM »
thanks james.  the thing is I don't want to always freshin things up because I was it to be reliable and hit 80,000 miles.  of course I'll maintain it, but it won't see much track time at all.  maybe 2 times a year!  I should just stick to the 90.5s.  bruce has over 100,000 miles on his 2110.

Stephan

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
94mm P&c Questions
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 12:49:38 PM »
The reality is you will sell your car before you hit 2000 miles, Face it you always sell your cars :lol:
The 94's will be no problem and will cool fine. We sell more 94's than 90.5 and 92 combined.

Stephan Schmidt

94mm P&c Questions
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 01:03:11 PM »
The reality is you will sell your car before you hit 2000 miles, Face it you always sell your cars :lol:
The 94's will be no problem and will cool fine. We sell more 94's than 90.5 and 92 combined.
 :P :rolleyes:

Offline Bruce

94mm P&c Questions
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 02:18:43 PM »
Geoff's got a valid point.  The vast majority of current Bug owners use some other car as a daily driver.  There's no way to rack up the miles if you only use your VW on the weekends or sunny days.  My recommendation for you is to get the 94s.  You can easily get 30k miles out of 94s.  How many years will that get you at your current annual mileage rate?  Most guys won't get 30k miles in 10 years, and it will be apart every year anyway to change something.

On the other hand, I know for a fact that I will drive mine for a long time and rack up the miles, so that's why I have 90.5s.  There are many that have achieved the magical 100,000 miles with 90.5s, but I've never heard of anyone who's built an engine with 94s then driven it 100k, without taking it apart.  some have claimed to have gone 100k with a re-ring job or 2 in between, but that doesn't count.  The P&Cs in my 2 liter have about 36-37k miles on them.  The engine in my car hasn't been out in 3 years.

Its not just the wall thickness that gives the 90.5s the advantage.  The outside diameter of the cooling fins is the same whether you have 94s or stock 83s.  The cylinders have to fit into the cooling tin.  A 90.5 will have longer fins and more cooling area than 94s.  Since 90.5s will theoretically make less power, there's less heat to dissipate.

Stephan Schmidt

94mm P&c Questions
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 02:27:24 PM »
Geoff's got a valid point.  The vast majority of current Bug owners use some other car as a daily driver.  There's no way to rack up the miles if you only use your VW on the weekends or sunny days.  My recommendation for you is to get the 94s.  You can easily get 30k miles out of 94s.  How many years will that get you at your current annual mileage rate?  Most guys won't get 30k miles in 10 years, and it will be apart every year anyway to change something.

bruce, I'll be driving the car daily in the spring summer and fall (weather permitting).  sometimes I won't beable to borrow a car, so I'll have to drive the beetle in the rain too.

I think I'll go for 90.5's.  the added cooling and reliability is great.  I drove my brothers mustang for 6 months and put on over 10,000 km's.  I drive A LOT!

thanks guys, Stephan