Author Topic: Where's All The Smack?  (Read 8580 times)

Offline josh

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2007, 03:35:19 PM »
yeah, all you nay sayers hear that!!! straight from the horses mouth.

I was wondering where the hulk went, that car gets around better than a surrey girl :lol:  :lol: good on ya lanny.
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2007, 08:48:16 PM »
Except for Mr. Dilley,(who ran a 11 something first time down the strip..) I have yet to see anybody run quicker than a mid 13 W/O any seat time. Josh, just don't sell the car when it doesn't crack a 12 (like we've seen many times before..)  :D BTW, I did buy The Hulk, I'll run it in reverse to give you guys a chance... ;)
My first run down the track was an 11.14 werd :rockon:  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2007, 08:49:20 PM »

For me, I am No2 hunting this year, time for the wok to get cooked! I'll be playing that like a sushi chef on Robson!

that's it james, set your goals high.even thoe they are completely unobtainable.
it takes a brave man to line up against the "WOK"a mistake they never make twice.
don't worrie i will give you your chance ....but remember be ready to join the long list of others that have been tossed into the "WOK" and been FRIED
Just for the record... The Hulk has never ever been tossed into the WOK....
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline AlanU

• http://members.shaw.ca/acvw/index.htm
Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2007, 11:24:01 PM »
I tried my best but I still turned into a stirfry.

Screw you guys. This year I have a secret weapon

Josh we'll have to see how your dedicated drag car does at the track :huh:  you better line up with dilley's ride.  Race gas vs. Race gas. If you race Tom H you'll be admiring his split window.

I wonder what 94 octane does for my street car this year  :rockon:  :rockon:

My first time down the track with my 65 I did a 12.70 with full interior and 1/2 tank of gas. That was about 4 years ago. Its been challenging to shave time on pumpgas.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 11:34:59 PM by AlanU »

Offline Lanny

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 06:58:34 AM »
Ah Aran, a Scat air filter! You must clarify..Your first pass in the 65 was a 12. Many passes in the old Fat Chick running 14's?...Shane..turbo doesn't count.. :D
BTW, The Turd moved under its own power yesterday..back and forth in the garage..damn rain. Watch out all Isuzu owners... ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 07:00:07 AM by Lanny »

Offline AlanU

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 09:24:06 AM »
Many passes in the old Fat Chick running 14's
BTW,

The Turd moved under its own power yesterday..back and forth in the garage..damn rain. Watch out all Isuzu owners... ;)
That car doesn't count. I had to put telephone books under the seat so I can see over the dash :P

Your car is running??? Yah baby!!!! Good to hear!!!

Offline OUTKAST

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2007, 10:38:33 AM »
No Alan not THE PEA SHOOTERS I thought those were illegal and I know that speed air filter wont make tech back to the drawing board  :lol:  :lol:
Lanny the TURD is that an official name ? Which car are you talking about ?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:39:36 AM by OUTKAST »

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2007, 11:04:31 AM »
All I can say is you guys just better show up. James has more excuses than Shane has cars. Josh= fresh meat. Just bring your shit young fella and lets see what you can do.

F%^%$!!! this place is dead.

Offline josh

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
I'll show up alright and give 'er a go. what's the dates I shoud shoot for, I gots lots to do :blink:  
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline josh

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2007, 12:14:42 PM »
I don't know how I missed the blinking seizure sign I guess it's june 23-24 then. :rockon:  
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Lanny

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2007, 12:35:01 PM »
Gavin named my 67 'The Turd'. Something to do with the new color. ;)
Josh, what CR did you end up running? Pump gas or C16??

Offline josh

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2007, 04:55:58 PM »
well as it sits the way I bought it 11.6:1

do you think I could get away with 10:1 on 94?
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline jeff lovell

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2007, 05:03:47 PM »
Josh do yourself a favor and don't play the pump gas game. Set it up to go fast on what ever fuel it takes. All most all the guys that brag about running pump gas still trailer there cars every where they go unless it's around the block. :rolleyes:  

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2007, 05:13:32 PM »
Josh do yourself a favor and don't play the pump gas game. Set it up to go fast on what ever fuel it takes. All most all the guys that brag about running pump gas still trailer there cars every where they go unless it's around the block. :rolleyes:
I agree with Jeff. You have to pay to play.. Don't chance anything with Pump Gas... The only reason they brag about racing on Pump is because they can't afford c-16 and you can't afford not to ;)  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Project Decade

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 05:25:21 PM »
I agree with Jeff build the car the way you want it to be and if that means on race gas then it runs on race gas. You still can drive the car on the street no madder what gas you use. This hole thing about running on pump gas ho cares. I have seen that car run and if it where me I would put it back the way it was, not many cars up here N/A run as fast as that car did. Just my 2 cents.

Offline josh

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2007, 08:58:52 PM »
I bought this car with the intention of running it on the street mainly. Realistically I might make it to mission 3-4 times a season and our piss ass track at western speedway isn't worth it to me to have a dedicated race car.
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline AlanU

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2007, 09:46:06 PM »
Jeff lovells former car was a dedicated drag car.

Josh, just bump the engine c/r to 14:1 and drive that drag car and race it with Terry Hoogstin, Cosgrave (sp?) or Dilleys drag car. Why race a street car on pumpgas if your in a differnt league. You'd never see Terry H taunt anyone with a street car to a race against his consistant dedicated bracket racing beetle.

We can smack all we want but heres my take on things. Pumpgas is by far harder to make a car go faster than a car on race gas...duhhhhhh. If you have a dedicated drag car NA run it with the big boys. But heres the thing... If your an enthusiast you can run pump or race gas its your car.

A different category is the street car with nitrous or turbo. You can run pump on the street and when you take it to the track you can increase the boost or Nitrous and run race gas.  This is the big huge advantage of a street car with boost or nitrous. That kind of setup you can enjoy a car and have both worlds.

I drive my 65 as much as weather permits which can be enjoyed on the street and track running pump. If I had a 5 speed it'd be even better.  I'd rather have a pumpgas NA car 3-5 tenths slower on pump gas than a so called street car limited to race gas thats faster. Thats just me. If I wanted a drag car I'd build a dedicated drag car. I've been dreaming of running a Wasser case 3L for a street car and of coarse on pumpgas.  

I cant afford race gas LOL.  Reason is I drive my car more than most guys on the forum. I doubt anyone running a NA Race gas fed \"street engine\" would drive aproximately 5000 km + exclusively running C16. I've intentionally went the pumpgas route because I want both worlds but I prefer driving on the street with some track time fun. Here I am talkin' shit....I have a complete progressive \"Dialed in Performance\" Nitrous Kit from Jim Martin. Its still in the parts bin and my all motor pumpgas quest is still on!!

I trailer my car because if I break at Mission Raceway  I can bring her home without waiting for a tow truck. I see no point in abusing and adding wear and tear if I have the means to trailer my car.

Smack talk aside: Josh, if your making that car of yours into a car mainly for street I'd go no more than 10:1 c/r and run 94 octane. If you keep that compression the way it is you'll need to run a mix of race and pumpgas and its not really worth 1-2 tenths IMO. The marginal gains from 10:1 to that 11.xx:1 isn't worth it for a street car with limited track time. If you want bragging rights you should build another motor for track use only or build another turbo setup.

Look at Lanny's 12.40 street car or Dannyboys 12.40 pumpgas car. Thats something to admire coming from pump. If your sticking NA all motor for the street I see no point running high c/r if its a street car. If your going with a dedicated drag car go big c/r!!!!

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2007, 10:23:09 PM »
going fast on pump gas for many is the true definition of a street car .
meaning:if i have to run race fuel in my vehicle in order to run it on the street it is no more than a race car with insurance ,you may not agree with this but in my opinion this is where the pump gas debate really stems from.

i have to make a comment on why we don't have to many fast n/a cars up here .

the real question is how long do they run ???
that is due to the fact many do not have a dedicated race car such as the one josh has bought and i have to ask this,please don't think i'm being a knob but,
using josh's car for example,it was bought as a race car with a hurt motor,how many runs at that high level were done before the last failure and what about previous engine work,has the falure been diagnosed in order to prevent it again.
this may be  a good example of why there are not many fast N/A cars up here.

fast n/a cars due to the fact are running on the ragged edge either at the track or on the street  can be expensive and a lot of work at times,many including myself can attest to that.SPEED COSTS MONEY.
and after awhile we all get sick of the costs and time needed to keep these cars going.many people don't realise this and i have seen many a project and or person sell stuff off because they are done with it.
there are many ways to have a fast car and make it live for a reasonable amount of time at the track and on the street,but that comes with experiance and alot of trial and error.

i see alan has posted and i could not agree more with his comments.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:34:58 PM by jim martin »

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2007, 11:36:34 PM »
excellent posts alan & jim.

Offline James Buchan

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2007, 03:32:00 AM »
I gotta agree with Al and Jim - 10:1 with 94 chevron and make it street legal and street drivable. With my car I can dump 94 in it to enjoy it on the street with 10psi or less and then crank the nob at the track with C16 and 22psi... best of both worlds really.

Make the car enjoyable to yourself and what you want to do with it - who gives a shit about a couple extra tenths or what others think.

Offline Chris

• Car.
Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2007, 07:00:31 AM »
who gives a shit about a couple extra tenths or what others think.
you do.

Offline James Buchan

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2007, 07:01:11 AM »
Yup you caught me!

Offline AlanU

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2007, 08:30:34 AM »
Kroc did heads for Christopher Gilbert in Michigan. Chris runs 12.70's in his full trim 67 with slicks. He can go on cruises  for  along haul an pull decent numbers on 92 octane. His brother Scot runs 11.70's  in a street car naturally aspirated dependant on race fuel only. Chris was telling me that he logs virtually little miles because he really cant and wishes he could drive it more.

Testosterone is always making up our minds. My 65's downfall is the 4th gear. Its really short so on the freeway I can only go speed limit and no more and the engine just buzzes!!! I've driven to mission raceway many times pulling 12.00's and stop into the gas station and drive home. I have a pumpgas street car I can enjoy.  People that know me understands that I dont drive on freeways often and I go everywhere within the city limits. If I had to go on a longer freeway drive this is what my stock 67 is for.

Darren K, Jim Martin have fully streetable cars running 11's, Shane's former hulk ran 10's.  These cars were pump for street and prepped for race with race gas.  All of these have helpers. People running high CR naturally aspirated dependant on race gas is a drag car IMO. If you pull 11.70's or faster with racegas thats awesome but your gonna be limited to street miles. Each to his own.

If your wanting a drag car run 13:1 and much higher and pull mid 11's and faster. If you want a street car NA run pump or go Turbo or nitrous. That will give you both worlds.  

People that just want a weekend only car with little miles logged can live with a drag car on the street with racegas. I'm not one of them.

Race gas will get an NA car easily in the 11's. Josh you can get on the top20 no problem but maybe there should be a classification for race gas cars. Run it on 94 octane and see how you do. Its definitely alot harder. Took me 4 yrs to get my full steel street car to get into the 11's once and alot of 12.00, 12.1 second runs. I went the fastest on 92 octane. But the difference is I drive my car pretty well everywhere with miles logged.

Offline josh

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2007, 08:48:27 AM »
\"I trailer my car because if I break at Mission Raceway  I can bring her home without waiting for a tow truck. I see no point in abusing and adding wear and tear if I have the means to trailer my car.\"

makes sense.

\"Smack talk aside: Josh, if your making that car of yours into a car mainly for street I'd go no more than 10:1 c/r and run 94 octane. If you keep that compression the way it is you'll need to run a mix of race and pumpgas and its not really worth 1-2 tenths IMO. The marginal gains from 10:1 to that 11.xx:1 isn't worth it for a street car with limited track time. If you want bragging rights you should build another motor for track use only or build another turbo setup.

Look at Lanny's 12.40 street car or Dannyboys 12.40 pumpgas car. Thats something to admire coming from pump. If your sticking NA all motor for the street I see no point running high c/r if its a street car. If your going with a dedicated drag car go big c/r!!!!\"

that's exactly my thinking and next year it's gettin' a heavy dose of turbo power, probably sell the carbs/heads and build it on the existing bottom end. call me whatever but I need to have a pump gas \"street car\" not for bragging rights but that's what I want.

And Jim great post too SPEED COSTS MONEY only a dummy would contest that. as for the hurt motor, it swollowed a allen screw off the velocity stack, hence the tear down.

I can live with a couple tenths more if I can pull off a mid to high 12 i'll be more than happy, I was just tryin' to get you guys all rilled up with the whoop-ass coments at first and I think 3 pages later it kinda worked :D  :D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 09:08:07 AM by josh »
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline josh

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2007, 09:06:55 AM »
allen, you're smashin the nail on the head. by no means am I striving to be the fastest NA street legal, i'll leave that to the big boys with deeper pockets and more experience than me. I just wanna get my feet wet and have some fun.

I'm not to sure how well these comp elininators with 48/38 valves are gonna dig lower comp and how they're gonna perform on the street. Kroc will be getting a call from me this winter on the turbo heads for sure.
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline jeff lovell

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2007, 09:22:09 AM »
You guys all make good points. I was only throwing out my personal opinion. If i did'nt sell the car ( im already wishing i would of kept it ) I would of built a 2165 cc 7.5 comp, fk-8 , vw style heads , and a turbo. The trany would be changed out to a stock style gears or maybe a little taller. This would last for ever and kill anything on the street, drive on the freeway as fast as you dare go and still be super fast at the track. Or i would of left it alone , lots of fun the way it is.

One of my first engines that car had init was a 2165 cc 44 idf's 125 cam welded up 35x40 heads 8.5 comp. I could drive it to the track and pull high 12's on pump gas. screaming rpm's down the freeway at 55-60mph not fun but lots of fun around town. 4.12 r/p 4.21 4th i think.

You guys should come down to woodburn for the northwest vw bug run on June 2nd good size show with lots of drag racing.

Offline josh

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2007, 10:21:46 AM »
Hey Jeff, it's cool you're on here keeping up on your old ride. whatcha think my wiring job on her? I'm sure it was a blast the way it was last run :rockon: but it's just not gonna work for me. In my eyes running turbo you get the best of both worlds.

where's woodburn? is your promod ready?
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Chris W

• Portland Oregon
Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2007, 11:18:40 AM »
Woodburn is about 30min south of Portland.

Offline jeff lovell

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2007, 11:30:28 AM »
Where is the wiring job ?

Pro mod is coming along really good should be a really cool car when its finished. it might make the las vegas trip.

Offline josh

Where's All The Smack?
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2007, 11:52:21 AM »

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 11:53:26 AM by josh »
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2