Author Topic: 4 Speed Or 5 Speed?  (Read 3021 times)

Offline DDS

4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« on: January 03, 2006, 10:11:59 PM »
I'm getting ready to start an air cooled project and i'm not sure what the pros and cons are with different tranys.

i want a really solid trany good for 250 hp (ha ha it will take a while to get there)
thoughts were as follows

option 1 - bus trany?
option 2 - 911? price depending
option 3 - ??? you tell me (i'm not sure of the cost of a built tI trany or a berg 5 and what type of hp you can put to them on a regular bases)

any positive info would really help steer me in the right direction.

Thanks!  

Offline Custom76Bus

• http://vw.norquaydesign.com
4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 01:06:07 AM »
curious about this too... not sure if my tranny will handle the powa :o
--Gavin
1976 Custom Westfalia... in the works.

Offline Bruce

4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 06:44:34 PM »
You first have to decide what you are going to do with it.  Are you gonna put slicks on the car and go drag racing 10 times each year?  Or will it only see street tires?

Offline DDS

4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 07:22:25 PM »
it won't be a daily driver (need a truck for work) but i want to cruz 6 months out of the year and with any luck (time away from the kids or with ??) set it up for a bit of racing both slalom and drag.

something i can drive to whistler and back for fun.

i would love to be able to race it X times a year. the main thing is i want a tuff tranny.

i'll just keep dreamming now.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 07:54:13 PM by DDS »

Offline Hansk

4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 12:12:49 AM »
Berg 5 ....I believe your looking at about $2500us in parts alone(someone correct me if I'm wrong) but could be the best of all worlds. ....strong , fits your car(sort of) , close ratios and good hwy gearing.

Bus...strong but very low gearing, not so easy to fit.

Porsche...probably good gearing , cheaper than berg 5 , and even harder to fit than bus ( I think).

Stock ......cheapest , totally fits your car, many upgrades available, but always a compromise in ratio's one way or the other.

just my own sort of a rough over view of the options
Big fat black fastback

Offline Darren Dilley

4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 12:43:50 AM »
Berg 5 is a small forturn....... and it didnt come with axles   :( that sucks  
life without racing..is no life at all

Offline DDS

4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 12:52:30 AM »
Thank's for the feed back!

what kinda hp can the berg5 take?

i also heard something about the main shaft being quite long which led to flexing?

is that true?  

Offline Lanny

4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 08:01:39 AM »
I have at least 100 passes on my Berg 5. The first time it broke, the pinion shaft eneded up in 2 pieces. Berg stated that it was a fluke and it was the first time they had ever seen that part break. My luck.The engine was making around 175 HP at that point. The second time, it basically exploded. The Super diff was to blame, nothing to do with the Berg kit. If you compare the amount of passes to many other people running a T1 box, it appears to be about average in the failure dept. :huh: . I still love it will be used in the new build.

Offline Trevor P

4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 08:28:17 AM »
The extended mainshafts that Berg uses are a weak point if you have lots of power. If you achieve 250hp then I would opt for the one piece mainshaft that is available. I believe its an extra $500 to $800 (approx.)
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T

Offline Bruce

4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 12:57:11 PM »

i want a really solid trany good for 250 hp (ha ha it will take a while to get there)

i also heard something about the main shaft being quite long which led to flexing?
Is this turbo or nitrous?

A Berg 5 is no weaker or stronger than a stock 4 speed.  All the upgrades you can do to the stock 4 will work to improve the strength of a Berg 5.  
The length of a Berg mainshaft between the bearing supports is exactly the same as a stock 4 speed, so flexing would be identical.  The extra length of a B5 hangs out in the nosecone and has 5th gear on it.

Like Lanny said, it will have the same life as a 4 speed.  The big difference is that if it does break, it costs waaaaaaaaay more to fix.

Offline DDS

4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 11:07:45 PM »
well i was hoping to go with a t4 motor and a turbo setup, (turbo will be down the road). i do have a 914 tranny in my shed (not sure of its condition). from what i have been reading up on the 914 tranny isn't too bad to change over for a rear engine car. one point that was made was that the week point is 1st gear because its between a bushing in the nose cone and a shaft bearing. (correct me if i'm wrong)

can anyone tell me if the 914/901 trannys are very strong? would i be spending less money setting up a 914/901 or a berg 5?

do you have to modify the pan for a b5?

by the way Lanny 100 passes on the b5 is pretty impressive (strenght wise).
what was your average time in the 1/4 mile?

Thanks for all of the helpfull info guys!

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 11:49:04 PM »
all i will add is PAY ONCE AND CRY ONCE .
once you drive a car with a close gear stack and a stock 4th for cruising you will understand why the berg 5 is worth every cent.
i see you want to know how much?
3 years ago from rancho i payed $3500.00 us funds for my trans
including 5 speed mid mount,locking shifter , saw axles and tubes.
everthing came for a complete bolt in right down to the oil.
talk to air speed as they are a rancho trans dealer
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 11:53:19 PM by jim martin »

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline Bruce

4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 02:10:07 AM »

do you have to modify the pan for a b5?

It depends on the year of the car.  Early ones need a bit more work than late cars.   Sometimes you have to dimple the body.
On my 75, I found the hole in the pan for the shift rod needed to be extended down at least a

Offline DDS

4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 09:36:00 AM »
Thanks Bruce.

great time saving info.

Offline Lanny

4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 10:32:52 AM »
Bruce, the suggestion to 'hit the torsion housing' was actually meant be 'smash the body' with a sledge hammer, as in the Berg instructions. DDS, My car averaged 13.5-14.0 1/4's for about 30-40 passes, the rest have been between 12.4's and 13.1's . It is set up with rubber mounts and I run M&H slicks at the track. The car weighs around 1830 at the track w. driver. As Jim and Bruce stated, they are worth every penny. The people that knock a Berg 5 usually are too cheap to fork out the $$ :D  

Offline Bruce

4 Speed Or 5 Speed?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 12:22:49 PM »
Bruce, the suggestion to 'hit the torsion housing' was actually meant be 'smash the body' with a sledge hammer, as in the Berg instructions.
I wasn't following the Berg recommendations on clearancing.  Glenn in NY has a 74, built about 6 months before my car, and he said he only had to give it a few taps on the torsion housing.  I figured maybe something changed in the torsion housing to eliminate the need for major clearancing.  I found out later that his nosecone was touching his torsion housing.