Author Topic: April 19 2005  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
April 19 2005
« on: April 19, 2005, 09:55:05 AM »
Well it's been 7 months or more since I did any work on old Speed-e, The Heb Rod project took up some of that time but it's away until the bus is done.

So one of the things that was holding me up was building the shift linkage. The new 915 5 speed has it's hockey stick (Shift rod that exits the nose cone) aprox 6\" lower than the orig. With that said, a new shift rod had to be made as well as locate a 915 shifter and shift box. Once I had those few parts I started looking at ways of making a smooth tight shift assembly. After a few different ideas I came up with this. (see below)

Here you can see the shape the shift rod must be in to work, The rod now runs under the heater tube and then just behind the front beam it moves upward to the shift box.

I used two greasable bearings to support the new shift tube and the orig 911 shift coupler at the trans end.
 As for the universal joints, Well I looked around and found the best solution was a pair of 3/8 universal joints (you know the ones in your tool box) With some mods here and there including  roll pins added so they can be removed and a rubber tube to cover them from road grime....they work great!

Here you can see the trans end of the shift rod, the rear bearing is not yet bolted in.

This is the front end, here you can see the shift rod runs up thru the stock tube guide and into the new 911 bushing and shift box.

Now it's back onto the motor end, I started on a new engine mount as you can just see here. I have to make this mount clear the exhaust, tow hitch, apron and other things so it's a little tight under there.
Also at this time I'm finishing the mounts on the oil tank and building the exhaust.

Here is a under motor shot, you can see the bottom of the enging mount and how tight everything is. I have to fit some mufflers under there somewhere?

Ok thats it for now, More updates tomorrow or at least by the end of the week. :wacko:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 09:56:24 AM by Gkafer »