Author Topic: wide 5 on irs rear  (Read 4143 times)

Offline 52 split

wide 5 on irs rear
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:49:21 PM »
hey    all trying to get a rail up and running but not so sure on what parts i need from what the previous po used. the front and rear backing plates are the same except for the e brake hole. the fronts used straight adjusters and the rears use angle adjusters. the old stuff was rotten past due. like no metal for shoes. i am guessing 58-64 wide front shoes and the same 58-64 narrow rears. need brake cylinders front and rear. anyone know the part numbers? also i would like to run wide five in the rears but not have to use a shim to lock down the nut. is there a stock wide five drum i can use with the late style wider shoes that are on say 70-up. i do have the later backing plates. would like to use stock and not custom drill a set of drums. do pre 68 type three fit?lastly what do i need to change over to taper bearings in the front and loose the ball bearings. part numbers for bearings and seals would be great .other ideas welcome. thanks

Offline Hansk

Re: wide 5 on irs rear
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 12:50:31 AM »
Here is what I did for my off road buggy,
smallest early beetle (not bus) single master cylinder ,  steering brake ,  stock late beetle IRS rear brakes BUT...... with late FRONT wheel cylinders in them instead . Keep them adjusted . Stops awesome and pull the steering brake , hit the gas and the buggy will instantly pivot around that rear wheel, don't even need to use the steering wheel . Simple cheep and effective .   Throw away the front brakes, they will be useless anyway .  If you want to run wide 5's , use the 4 bolt to wide 5 adapters .
Big fat black fastback

Offline 52 split

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 06:06:17 AM »
 thanks   Hansk      did not know there where adapters to go to wide five. most i seen go to chev ,ford Porsche. what i have done  in the past is run two separate brake lines out back and which the 60/40 so the rears work harder than the front for better control in the dirt. still need to know what year shoes to get for the front, i will try to get this registered to run on the street. so inspection will be needed.

Offline Hansk

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:08:15 PM »
Hmmm , for street I guess I would just stick with stock 58- 64 on the front . With the late rear brakes  (with late front cylinders in them) you'll be somewhat changing the bias towards the rear. 
Big fat black fastback

Offline 52 split

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 06:20:29 PM »
well i do see the 205 adapters on cip.  looks that's the way to go and i will press in the 14 mm studs. do you know are the size of late cylinders. i was to believe there was only 17 mm rears and 19 mm fronts. are the late ones 22 mm?. my heads been wrapped around pre 55 lately so not sure what the late sizes are.  thanks

Offline Hansk

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-611-057-B
I guess this is what you would need for your rears . Not sure what size these are but a rear cylinder would be a smaller bore. Maybe consider buying the front and rears  http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-611-053-B   but swap them , fronts on the rear and rears on the front.  Hope that makes any sense .  This is just my opinion and the way I would do it on my own buggy and I'm sure there are lots of different ways you could go here.   
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:46:36 AM by Hansk »
Big fat black fastback

Offline 52 split

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 05:58:55 PM »
yah i got what you said. thanks for the ideas and help.

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 06:53:24 PM »
I tried the wheel cylinder flip but didn't like the results at all.  But maybe my buggy was more balanced front to rear than I thought with the full metal fenders up front and the big spare tire over the beam.  What about Thing rear drums?   Wide 5 and late shoes.

Offline 52 split

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 08:40:55 PM »
not sure if i can find used thing drums here on the island. this is a budget build. not sure if type 3 drums will go on late beetle wide shoes.

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 09:58:51 PM »
Seen this?  Seems pretty reasonable and in Vancouver.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1680261

Offline 52 split

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 10:50:24 PM »
just saw it, seems better price on the samba than local?