Author Topic: Jim Martin  (Read 164996 times)

Offline beetleboy

Re: Jim Martin
« Reply #240 on: July 25, 2012, 12:14:14 PM »
the new "wok" going to be at the gcvws?  FING sweet JIM!!!! 

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
« Reply #241 on: July 26, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »
the new "wok" going to be at the gcvws?  FING sweet JIM!!!!

we'll see how she goes , playing the waiting game .but im sure it will see light this year .

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
« Reply #242 on: August 15, 2012, 07:36:29 PM »
lots happenning at the WOK SHOP .
parts back from anodizers , wiring repaired and updated , gauge swaps ect but still need the new heart for the WOK
its on its way , or so im told .
will start loading all the steps starting this weekend as things move along .
but here is some fun stuff .this is kind of nice to listen to , turn it up and feel the idle .
IDLE
this is funny a dyno recording with a phone taped to the back of your head .
this motor sound killer.short but crank it up for fun
PULLIN
i think this was the second pull . 388 hp and over 330 ft lbs torque at the rear wheels, not bad for such low boost  , i need bigger tires .

more to come
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:58:08 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #243 on: August 15, 2012, 08:22:22 PM »
Bad link on the "pullin" video but the idle sounds badass as do the charts ;)
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #244 on: August 15, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »
Sounds like they built you a ripper!

Offline jim martin

« Reply #245 on: August 27, 2012, 11:35:17 PM »
coming along .
old wiring needed to go as it was in a bit of a mess and there was so much extra electronics for the nitrous and all my other electronic bits it need a major revamp, as well as my steering column needed to come out for repair as the clamp holding the combi switch housing cracked,so the combi wiring needed to come out as well .
gutted and looking not so good,and have to admit not looking fwd to it

on a up swing to the wiring .
way better everthing is in one of 4 harnesses ,and routed much better and leaves easy room to add onto .

i had found a break fluid leak from the right steel line to the brake body fitting , replaced it and repositioned it ,
cleaned the pealed paint as well as drilled the extra tunnle hole for the -12 line .
mallory fuel pump is also gone ,but mount stays just in case its needed down the road

picked up the fuel cell and mounting plate from ALTECH ANODIZING , very happy !!!
these guys were excellent to deal with and very knowledgable and able to assist in what type of anodizing i needed for my aplication ,
give them a call and ask for ED or DAVE
the mounting plate recieved the type 2 anodising clear , and it turned out fantastic ,
 i highly recomend getting anything you are going to get anodized polished as the results ar unbelievable .

now the fuel cell originally i thought i would need the military hardcoat anodizing but lucky the owner is also a racer and turns out type 2 hardcoat anodizing will be fine for methanol fuel .the only downside is the clear when used with hardcoat turns the surface a milky tone .so black it was and it will be a nice contrast on the mounting plate .

thursday was the day and at 4 pm thursday afternoon the "boozer" touched down in the shop along with 8 more boxes of bits

---now if you have the chance something i did right away before moving fwd was connect the trans to the motor while its on the floor to make sure the clutch is going to work out.what happened last year when i first put the bus box in and my last motor there was excessive travel in the clutch do to using a tilten dual disc clutch and the late style pressure plate and throw out bearing .major pain pulling the motor in and out several times getting that figured out ,if the trans is not out and your mocking your motor up and while the cranks in the case install your clutch and mount the case/crank/clutch assemble to your trans in the car and check it out , you may be thanking me down the road .
tuesday will finnish tranny mods and in it goes , and time to start pullin the "boozer" down into a long block and shoehorn it in ,
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:44:25 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #246 on: August 27, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »
Nice!

Offline jim martin

« Reply #247 on: August 28, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
on target for the day , tranny mods completed and modified the alternator end support just to make everthing a bit more solid .
trans is upgraded with some new turbo gears , i still cant believe im running a turbo , arrrg .
changed the stack to a taller 3rd and 4th .
new stack is 4.13 ring /3.44/2.08/1.35/0.93

in she goes , IRS is so much nicer to install over a swing .

tomorrow , need to order a few more bits ,strip down the Boozer and get ready for the first test fit of the long block .
and if it fits it aint coming out , those valve covers are looking like they may cause some trouble
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:52:31 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline 52 split

« Reply #248 on: August 29, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
always trying to learn, what is that on the bell housing.looks like a limit switch? and what does it do. thanks

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #249 on: August 29, 2012, 10:18:05 AM »
That engine doesn't look very street friendly. I take it the WOK is race specific now?
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline josh

« Reply #250 on: August 29, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »
always trying to learn, what is that on the bell housing.looks like a limit switch? and what does it do. thanks

my guess would be for data logging??

That engine doesn't look very street friendly. I take it the WOK is race specific now?

Meth runs stupidly cool..........no need for fan shroud
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #251 on: August 29, 2012, 11:51:35 AM »

Meth runs stupidly cool..........no need for fan shroud
[/quote]

Really. I've never seen that before. I'm surprised more people don't go that route. (are you f$%cking with me action-smiley-060)
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline josh

« Reply #252 on: August 29, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »
I don't know much about it but there are lots of issues to overcome..........not just a drain the tank and fill with methanol :hum:
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline jim martin

« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »
the "WOK" has and will always be a 100% true street/strip car, it is just as happy getting icecream or a white spot run with my girls or spending some quality time at mission .it just keeps going through changes as i experiment with different motors , fuels and power adders.

-switch is part of my CM system which allows for adjustable clutch slip in 1st and reverse.which is very gear box friendly .

on track for the day , stripped the "Boozer"down to a long block and made allot of notes ,and in the above post you can see lots of lines on the motor needing a more solid mounting and some things need modifying just to make me happy
after some coffee /measuring it was time to break out the cut off wheel ,will break out the touch up gun later as im sure there may be a bit more work needing in the engine bay .end result was elimination of the engine bay side rubber guides on the triangle left and right plates .and i have to say the long block slipped in very quick and was bolted up solid ,like i said if it fits it aint coming out , so in it stays.and yes teh clutch works nicely this time around !!!
had to quickly bolt up the one pipe and hang the turbo and just make sure the deck lid does close and yes it does with lots of room to spare .
and most important room to get the valve covers on and off
- side panels trimed

lots of room , but will fill up fast

i hope the sump doesnt drag

just enough space for the exhaust to squeeze by

all closed up must be a stock dual port under the hood

thursday will be mods to the header ,order some more bits and reinstall the ignition
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:55:54 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline Gaunch Launcher II

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #254 on: September 07, 2012, 06:49:22 PM »
Awesome Jim.  You are going to like not filling bottles.  Are you going to make the 14 or 28  Test and Tunes?  I might be at the t&T on the 28.  We can line up together for a few passes once you get a few shake down runs in.   
10 second bug        6.34 @ 107.64 mph

Offline jim martin

« Reply #255 on: September 10, 2012, 06:26:35 AM »
i'm going to miss not running the bottle , nitrous is very easy to tune with .
i'm pluggin away at it so not sure when it will run but sooner more than later .hopefully i will get out this year ,but after waiting so long i just dont feel like rushing anything at this point as i dont want to do things twice .
once i get the header back from the ceramic coater it will go very fast ,done lots of small things and just need to get around to uploading them .
talk soon and good luck at the track

Dialedinp

Offline jim martin

« Reply #256 on: September 19, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »
well it took a long time, as with everthing there is always issues ,as with most race motors they dont use any gaskets as the motors dont stay together long enough and are usally taken out and inspected after every major event.and my header was buildt the same way . i could just use some permatex ultra high heat silicon but i decided to make some custom copper gaskets up .which of course made everthing not fit anymore .so a bit of cutting and tigging was in order .this did alow me to get some extra clearance where i wanted it and everthing fits together with out any issues.
sent it out to KOOL COAT and it was done in 4 days ,v band clamps were a concern but it was put on so thin at those points its not a issue .have wrapped 3 of the 4 pipes with header wrap and will do the last one tonight .have made my last of the boarder runs and have 90% of the parts and everthing else is cleaned and serviced and ready to go ,finally its time to make some headway .

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:44:23 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
« Reply #257 on: September 19, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »
well done jim, ive seen the kool koat truck driving around, those pipes looks like that kids toys in dentist offices that you slid a thing around on em, could you maybe make something that you can do such a thing to? it would pass downtime at the track i sware!
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline jim martin

« Reply #258 on: September 20, 2012, 12:16:28 AM »
its a wrap ,used the titanium wrap from DEI .took a bit but she goes in tomorrow night .just need a few more stainless straps

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:50:15 AM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline josh

« Reply #259 on: September 20, 2012, 07:55:13 PM »
That stuff is a PITA to make look good and keep tight! Looks sweet Jim!
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #260 on: September 20, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »
That stuff is a PITA to make look good and keep tight! Looks sweet Jim!

yup, saw this setup tonight and it looks good!! the boozer is really coming together! :cool:

Offline jim martin

« Reply #261 on: September 20, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »
we'll see how it holds up , i might safety wire it every 3" ,but we'll see.
im just trying to make sure i cut down as much heat as possible for street use with the decklid down .figured all the exposed pipes could make things a bit toasty , but hey if head temps are way down then i will unrap and let some heat in ,never know till it runs

Dialedinp

Offline jim martin

« Reply #262 on: September 21, 2012, 12:24:42 AM »
headers in and im really happy to say it fit fantastic and no need to pry anything .
after i got it in made a mental plan for fridays shift .looking fwd to it ,one piece at a time .

im glad i modified the header and got all the copper gskts in ,not a real fan of exhaust leaks

the alternator needed a little extra support .machined a 10 mm stud to sit deep into the case as well as
a support bracket at the end to take the shake and complete the mounting triangle ,happy to say its very sturdy now
and i dont see it being a issue.a bit of clearancing was needed as the alternatorswung into the rear seal groove.
oh well another job for the cut off wheel

alternator belt adjustment will be no problem ,this adjuster works great
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:32:50 AM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline jim martin

« Reply #263 on: September 22, 2012, 11:45:22 AM »
one step at a time , there goes better part of a day to modify the throttle cable guide,
make extensions and mount  under the vehicle
then get the lincages figured out .the old throttle lincage was bent and rubbing badly on the case .
made a floating sleeve in the centre of the lincage to take half the load of if needed as well as replaced all the heim joints and made securing brakets for the fuel dist block and economiser valve .
now i can mount the upper intake and get the turbo back in

Dialedinp

Offline OUTKAST

« Reply #264 on: September 22, 2012, 10:38:19 PM »
Super clean and well worked  out .The wrap looks good lota going on back there to keep things concealed 6 thumbs up  :72:

Offline jim martin

« Reply #265 on: September 25, 2012, 11:43:28 PM »
well picking away every night for a few hours ,
the other night i finnished the bracket for the economiser/dist block on the right bank
blades open and ready to go ,took quite a bit to get the lincages sync'd but shes all good
she tight but room in the needed spots

last time these will see light for awhile,but a good shot of the lines to the injectors

gaskets made , used mr gasket exhaust flange material ,easy to work with

the holes in the middle are for throttle shaft lube access

finall intakes on and not coming out

and finally the moment i've been looking fwd to ,turbo on

just a few more major pieces to go .
the exhaust outlet header and the airpump
then its run the oil and fuel lines and finnish wiring .

Dialedinp

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #266 on: September 26, 2012, 06:39:57 AM »
Nice work Jim!

Offline josh

« Reply #267 on: September 26, 2012, 06:40:30 PM »
Hell ya!! Love it Jim!!!
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #268 on: September 26, 2012, 06:59:39 PM »
That's magnificent!, nice work!.....................................But I've gotta ask, what are you doing for a cooling system if it's a street car? (not a burn, just curious).
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline jim martin

« Reply #269 on: September 28, 2012, 11:21:21 PM »
That's magnificent!, nice work!.....................................But I've gotta ask, what are you doing for a cooling system if it's a street car? (not a burn, just curious).

no worries its already been asked and i will give the same response as i gave in a earlier post
" the "WOK" has and will always be a 100% true street/strip car, it is just as happy getting ice-cream or a white spot run with my girls or spending some quality time at mission .it just keeps going through changes as i experiment with different motors , fuels and power adders."

methanol vs fuel burning is completely different , here is a good example .DO NOT TRY THIS .
wet your hand with gas and light it , i guarantee it will hurt and burn you instantly .But if you ever were filling your old Coleman stove or lamp and without knowing you got the Coleman fluid on your hand and it happened to ignite .you could sit there and stare at the blue flame  as it just burned without really hurting ,eventually you would freak out and put it out ,BUT again no instant burns or pain.
so now with that same fuel in your motor ,there are pros and cons.
 cons ,harder to get , use more , corrosive if left to absorb moisture
 pros, less explosive than gasoline,burns at a cooler rate ,wider tuning window,makes more power than gasoline
of course there is way more to it than that but bottom line for a air-cooled vw is due to its burning properties there is just not the heat produced burning methanol when compaired to gasoline and if a standard vw cooling set was used nothing would ever come up to operating temp , and the biggest problem is getting heat into the motor ,that's one of the reasons i have a oil heater in my pan .
but i base all this on others experiences  and will see if it is actually does what its supposed to do

anyway , today finnished mods for the vacuum pump , resealed it ,machined new spacers, modified internal baffles in stand as well as machined up the alt stand and changed it a bit .very happy with the result

over half way on the downpipe ,cant wait to get it done as that will be the last of any major time consuming fabricating
its tight going down and its a slow process but so far going very well .then things should ,knock on wood go a bit quicker

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:25:35 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp